Suggested Solution to BM Ticket Sale Dilemma For 2013

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Suggested Solution to BM Ticket Sale Dilemma For 2013

Postby Lt.D. » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Since I am doing my fair share of complaining about the current BM ticket fiasco I thought I should offer a possible alternative for 2013, so as to not simply be a whinny lame complaining annoying republicanesque negative nancy. SO, below find my suggested ticketing scheme for 2013 )'(

Based on 50,000 Capacity

1. Applies To All Sales:

a. One person can buy two tickets BUT they have to register at the time of purchase the names of the people who will actually USE the ticket(s). (NOTE: This is how you buy an airline ticket. If you are buying a ticket for someone else you have to state who that person is so it shouldn’t be a big deal).
i. Point of Clarification: The purchaser does not have to be the one actually attending. They just have to indicate at the time of purchase who is attending. This preserves our gifting culture/economy.

b. Names on each ticket. Must show ID at the gate (NOTE: This is just common sense. ID should not be a problem. You have to show ID to every single concert, plane ride, bar, etc.)

c. If a ticket purchaser ends up not being able to use the ticket they bought (i.e. the designated recipients can’t attend), they have to use your STEP system to return the ticket, get a refund and then you guys can redistribute.

2. First Round Sale Via 1st Come, 1st Serve Online Sale (No Drawing), just like you used to do BUT reverse the pricing so you sell the most expensive tickets FIRST.
a. Number of Tickets: 25,000
b. Price: $420 OR $450 a ticket (depending on economics of the moment).
c. Sale Continues Until All 25,000 Sold Out.
i. Educate the Community that the higher price ticket will be used to subsidize:
1. The cost of the new ticket sale system; and
2. 5,000 low-income tickets.
ii. Recognize that the reason your system always crashed on the first day of online ticket sales in the past making people angry was because you sold the cheapest tickets first. This reverses the order. Sell the most expensive FIRST!
d. Sale continues until all 25,000 tics sell out.

3. Second Round Sale 1st Come, 1st Serve Online Sale (No Drawing)….
a. Number of Tickets: 12,500
b. Price: $390
c. Sale Continues Until All 12,500 Sold Out.

4. Third Round Sale 1st Come, 1st Serve Online Sale (No Drawing):
a. Number of Tickets: 7,500
b. Price: $350
c. Sale Continues Until All 7,500 Sold Out.

5. Low-Income Application Sales:
a. Number: 5,000
b. Price: $200
c. IF YOU HAVE NEVER ATTENDED BM, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR LOW-INCOME.
d. Low-Income ticket is tied to a single volunteer shift at BM (just an idea).
i. If you don’t show up for volunteer shift, no big deal, you just are not ever again eligible for low-income ticket.

NOTE you can play with actual numbers (ticket price and number of tickets sold per round. These are just ideas).

This system will work.

Lt.D.
Lt.D.

Re: Suggested Solution to BM Ticket Sale Dilemma For 2013

Postby 1=1? » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:08 pm

At the very least anyone who comes early to set up gets a ticket voucher for the following year. This would help a lot.

Edit: Gah, that was my first post? Lame. But Still.
1=1?

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 pm

1=1? wrote:At the very least anyone who comes early to set up gets a ticket voucher for the following year. This would help a lot.

Well, we can all be thankful that at least your first post wasn't an entirely new thread topic on some inane subject like, oh, "Suggested Solution to BM Ticket Sale Dilemma For 2013" that has already been regurgitated countless times before with the same conclusions and speculation.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 pm

BBadger wrote:
1=1? wrote:At the very least anyone who comes early to set up gets a ticket voucher for the following year. This would help a lot.

Well, we can all be thankful that at least your first post wasn't an entirely new thread topic on some inane subject like, oh, "Suggested Solution to BM Ticket Sale Dilemma For 2013" that has already been regurgitated countless times before with the same conclusions and speculation.

this is why the posts i did were "what i think will happen" predictions!!

PREDICTIONS are good!!! ....offering 'solutions' BAAAAD
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:33 pm

The best is when numbers are pulled out of asses. "Over 9000 scalpers have infected the lottery!" I swear more Goatses were made in this forum alone than anywhere else.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: (LAME) Suggested Solution to BM Ticket Sale Dilemma For

Postby Lt.D. » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Damn. Spiteful replies. Common Burners, what about the l-o-v-e ....

I am really sorry for not reading the prior posts before posting mine. I was eager to share even at the expense of being "inane" :)

But you are right. My idea is wiggidy wack. I would delete it if I could figure out how, but I can't!

SOOOO, since I can't erase my idiotic suggestion, I'll put forward another one! This is EVEN LAMMMER (sp?):

Stupid Cat Youtube Videos. They make the world a better place. And maybe, just maybe, they have hidden within their profundity THE answer to our ticket dilemma: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNIg-daZ ... re=related

p.s. anyone know if Bassnectar got a ticket this year? :)
Lt.D.

Postby funndadd » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 am

Another suggestion for future ticket sales, is to do what state game and fish departments do with over subscribed hunting areas, give each person who does not receive a ticket, a preference point. From that year on draw tickets by preference points, NOT by price.
Here in Colorado, you can mark on your hunting application that you are applying for a point and not an actual license, you can then save up enough points over a year or two to hunt in a trophy area.
When the tickets are drawn and you either did not draw, or applied for a point only, your money is returned except for a small administrative fee. Camps and other groups (art cars, artists) which need the whole group to function can coordinate amongst themselves as to whether they want to take a chance on drawing all the required tickets to make their camp work on any specific year, or they can apply for preference points and know they can attend as a group the next year.
I personally think the price should be the same for all except the low income burners, as this is not like a concert where the better seats are actually worth more than the nose bleed seats, all BM tickets provide a front row experience.
I was despondent when I first heard about the lottery plan for this years ticket sales, however I have come to the realization that all the times I said "Everyone should come to BurningMan," I was either BSing myself or I should stop being selfish, with the wonderful new world I discovered only two years ago. Since I have come to that realization, I have decided to attend a regional event this year and hope to return to the Playa, next year. I believe the preference point system would allow that and also help all of us Burners to spread the joy that is BurningMan.
funndadd

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:57 pm

You can't please everyone with an event this big plain and simple. You will never have a ticket solution that is open to the public where you won't have scalpers of some kind. I think BM should have left it like it was...first come first serve. Aren't burners supposed to be self reliant?? That means the burners who have their shit together when tickets go on sale should get tickets? If BM sold out before you could afford a ticket remember that for next year. Just like with a concert, when it is sold out, too bad...be more prepared next time. This year is going to be nothing but pissing more people off in the long run with BM "picking" what camps or people get tickets. Kind of ruins the whole idea of a fair share for everyone now doesn't it?
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID
SuperNakedGirl

Postby funndadd » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:36 pm

SuperNakedGirl,

I am beginning to realize that a fair share for everyone includes those I have never met, as well as those who have not ever been to BRC. I am waiting to see if we Burners can be patient enough to buy tickets from the (we haven't seen it yet) new official BM resale site. I am hoping we can, and that perhaps a bunch of scalpers will be stuck with tickets, which they can not sell at inflated prices. Serve them right (evil little snicker inserted here.)
funndadd

Postby SuperNakedGirl » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:01 pm

I hope everyone who was ready to purchase tickets when they went on sale or "lottery" this year gets one too with the resale program...old timers and virgins alike. Anyone who was prepared deserves their ticket thats for sure. Still seems easier on all involved the way it has been.
There once was a girl, who had a curl
Right in the middle of her forehead
And when she was good, she was very, very good
But when she was bad, she was HORRID
SuperNakedGirl

Postby dunkk » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 pm

In 2013 all the tickets will be crumpled up, half of them will be thrown into a dust storm. You'll then be allowed to chase them and grab as many as you like. For those who don't get a ticket this way the remaining crumpled tickets will be put in a big big hat and you'll be allowed to pull one out. If you grab two you'll have to go to the end of the line and wait your turn to try again. If you still don't get a ticket the first 5,000 people who give away all their playa gear away to a newbie gets a ticket.
And finally if you can prove it was you that wore that one piece green lycra suit you'll get a ticket.
dunkk

Postby Stephendragonfly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:46 pm

Ticketing Process
October 1: Applications for Theme Camps, Art Projects, Mutant Cars, Etc begin

December 1: Snail Mail order 25000 tickets go on sale for $300.00 Send Self Addressed Stamped Envelope with 3 By 5 card containing the following information: Name, Address, Telephone Number, Email, Sex, Sexual Orientation/Preferences/Kinks, Number of Tickets Wanted (maximum of four), Names for Each Ticket, Number of Years Burned, Volunteer Experience, Art Project Experience, Life Experience, Proposed Art Project, Gear, Transportation, Affiliations with Theme Camps/ Projects/ Art Cars, References, Shirt Size, Shoe Size, Hat Size, Size (misc), Tattoos, Drivers License #, Credit Card Numbers, Bank Accounts, Other Assets (in diminishing value), Housing Status, Value of Residence if Owned, Marital Status, Number of Children, Skills, Education, Current Income, Internet Provider, Favorite Music/ Movies/ Books, and please describe in five hundred words or more your favorite things about Black Rock City/Burning Man/The Playa. All applications for $300 Tickets must be received before December 25th.

Jan 15: Rejection Notices Go Out via Email
Jan 29: 10,000 Transferable Tickets Auctioned off in Reverse Dutch Auction $5000 Minimum bid
Feb 15: 10,000 Non Transferable $400 Tickets Go on Sale First Come First Serve Via BMORG Website
Feb 20: 15,000 Non Transferable $399 Tickets Go On Sale Via Extremely Complex Application at BMORG website
Feb 25: Low Income / Scholarship Ticket application process begins Via an Impossibly Complex Application System at BMorg Website
Feb 29 50 Free tickets: Names (of people who attempted to get tickets and lost) drawn from a glowing blue hat by Larry Harvey at a really great party I am not invited to.
June 31: Tickets Sent by Snailmail to all those lucky enough to get them.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Postby trevkong » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

The OP has it right, the first thing i heard out of my friends mouth when they announced the system for this year was "a lot of people are gonna get paid". I am trying not to be cynical but i do not see any legitimate way a team of people who had any clue could have made this policy.

Not being an Eyore, but you have to admit he was right, people are getting paid and it was substantially avoidable.
trevkong

Postby atomosk » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:56 pm

I propose a simpler solution:
First come first served open sale, no tiers. Christmas pre-sales and low income possible additions to this. This is fair.

An alternative:
You get a percentage not to exceed 2% M-f and 1% Sat-Sun, void on public holidays and select blackout date of undisclosed determination, of total tickets BMORG can fit in your bum. This will be presented live on the BM website in an American Idol format with increased percentage points awarded to those who've been going longer or have related special talents, with Larry Harvey filling a Simon Cowell position of scorn and mockery.
atomosk

Postby Havapiper » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Until a better way is developed to deal with scalpers and to encourage use of STEP, give the people who place a ticket into STEP a preference for getting a ticket next year.
Havapiper

Postby Max Callahan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Havapiper wrote:Until a better way is developed to deal with scalpers and to encourage use of STEP, give the people who place a ticket into STEP a preference for getting a ticket next year.

I think you'll see a lot of push back on that idea, as the general perception is that the only people who have tickets to put into step are the ones who got them through gaming the system by entering the lottery multiple times.
Max Callahan

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:36 pm

atomosk wrote:Blah, blah, blah...arded to those who've been going longer or have related special talents, with Larry Harvey Simon of the Playa filling a Simon Cowell position of scorn and mockery.

There, I fixed it for you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby atomosk » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:42 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
atomosk wrote:Blah, blah, blah...arded to those who've been going longer or have related special talents, with Larry Harvey Simon of the Playa filling a Simon Cowell position of scorn and mockery.

There, I fixed it for you.

That is actually much better :D Wanted to use someone other than Larry.
atomosk

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:02 am

You're welcome.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion