how will STEP be structured?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

how will STEP be structured?

Postby usurpedus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:27 pm

specifically, what has been learned from the lottery debacle to hopefully prevent scalpers from taking advantage of STEP and buying up more than than 50% of the available tickets like they did the lottery.

assuming those who missed out on tickets get first priority in STEP, thats still a lot of scalpers who also missed out so..

1) will you only be able to register in STEP for the number of tickets you missed out on in the lottery? or will people who registered for one ticket and lost be able to register for two?

2) i believe people should register for STEP only if THEY are 100% planning on attending. therefore they should be willing to accept less transferability.. ie they should make STEP tickets ONLY available at will-call. this is to prevent scalpers from benefitting from STEP

3) assuming each person who lost out on the lottery is given a special code to be able to register for STEP before the public is.. can we trust that these codes will be unique and specific enough that one code wont allow a limitless number of people to register for STEP?

I think these are just a few of the questions that need to be confirmed/addressed if we have ANY hope for STEP as the band-aid that BM LLC hoped it would be. I also think if STEP is executed successfully we can use what worked well for it to run the open sale on March..
usurpedus

Re: how will STEP be structured?

Postby lemur » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:43 pm

step isnt a band-aid.

it was announced in november, well before the lottery drawing took place
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby JayBobBoy » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:33 pm

I believe you are supposed to sign up when they send you an e-mail later this month.

Then it's reccommended to bend over at the waist, grab your ankles, and wait patiently for a ticket. If they lube you up first...then you get a ticket. If not...well then....
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby 48_love » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:42 pm

I see antiseptics being applied to STEP, but I'm not in the daily ticket meetings.

It seems to me that November was a long time ago, and I'm sure anyone actually in the dailys in SF would tell you the same.

---

The whole scalper v demand dimension continues to boggle.

Maybe as an intending virgin, the pent up demand is more readily apparent. Personally, Camp Envy's UStream and BMIR's broadcast in 2011 proved to be the pointy tip of that spear.

1st time burners are in our midst. They've always been 'burners' ... or the whole thing is a myth!

The playa provides but so does Radical Self Reliance. It's a do-fucking-ocracy after all.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby hotmess » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:20 pm

I am very curious to see how STEP pans out. I do plan on registering as soon as the email is sent out announcing us to sign up. I am having a hard time imagining just how it will work. We shall see in just over a weeks time.

Usurpedus, I agree with your idea of possibly using STEP as a means to help distribute the remaining tickets if in its infancy it is proving to be successful.

AHHHH, ,this is all just too crazy!!!!
hotmess

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Kamp Krusty

Postby vargaso » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:59 am

Has this already been mentioned? I looked around a bit and didn't see it so I picked a thread with STEP in the title. Anyway, STEP and low-income sales have been postponed until Feb. 29th (http://tickets.burningman.com/):

UPDATE 2/13/12: We are postponing the launch of our new Secure Ticket Exchange Program (STEP) and the opening of our Low Income Ticket Program application until February 29th so that we can evaluate the current ticket landscape and put measures in place to address the community's concerns.

This, coupled with the announcement scheduled tomorrow on the same day as theme camp registration begins, leads me to believe the BMORG has decided to give certain members of certain theme camps the opportunity to buy tickets. Not sure how I feel about that, not really all that thrilled and not just because I don't have a ticket yet. Oh well, might be for the best, I don't know.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby trilobyte » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:10 am

Yeah, it was mentioned as an announcement when the tickets page was updated last night.

Tomorrow also being the theme camp registration start date is largely a coincidence (that had already been determined long before anything regarding tickets was announced in the fall). It opens mid-February and closes in the last week of April.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am

If ePlaya speculation is to be believed (and it hasn't let us down yet!), it's obvious that ALL the spare tickets will be given to scalpers ("Scalper Transfer Exchange Program" amirite?), and when they have eaten their fill, the rest of us can dine on the remains and feces.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby vargaso » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:23 am

Ah, should have looked up there, thanks. Anyway, I'm standing by my prediction, what else would they be announcing tomorrow?
vargaso

Postby hotmess » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:31 am

They would be announcing that Burning Man 2012 is cancelled do to not being able to accomodate everyone that wants to join :shock: . In reaction the surrounding towns and communities that make a tremendous amount of money from the event would complain to the BLM and say, "What are you doing? Let them have 80,000 people. More money for us and our communities! Have you not noticed how bad the economy is, we NEED THIS EVENT!"
hotmess

Postby The CO » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 am

vargaso wrote:what else would they be announcing tomorrow?

They could say:

"We are not selling the remaining tickets: instead, we are opening a new round of art grant applications thanks to a generous donation."

-or-

"Radical Inclusion
Anyone may be a part of Burning Man. We welcome and respect the stranger. No prerequisites exist for participation in our community."

-or-

"We have discovered time travel!"

Have patience. Rumors don't help anyone.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby vargaso » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 am

If internet message boards aren't for spreading rumors, then I don't know what. Ha. I'm not too concerned about it though, every single prediction people have had leading up to the lottery announcement has come true, I'm confident this one will too.
vargaso

Postby usurpedus » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:39 pm

it doesnt really matter since only like 17 tickets will be sold back to STEP anyway
usurpedus

Postby alt12 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:30 pm

usurpedus wrote:it doesnt really matter since only like 17 tickets will be sold back to STEP anyway

I heard from an inside source at the LLC that on Feburary 29th, they will actually be cutting off the head of a chicken and then will distribute tickets to selected theme camps depending on the patterns of the blood spatter. Marian will be personally be interpreting the blood patterns for optimum distribution and to avoid scalpers....

The idea is to stay consistent with the ticket distribution theme this year....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby hotmess » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:45 pm

alt12 wrote:I heard from an inside source at the LLC that on Feburary 29th, they will actually be cutting off the head of a chicken and then will distribute tickets to selected theme camps depending on the patterns of the blood spatter. Marian will be personally be interpreting the blood patterns for optimum distribution and to avoid scalpers....

Bucockkkkkk!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!
hotmess

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 am

hotmess wrote:
alt12 wrote:I heard from an inside source at the LLC that on Feburary 29th, they will actually be cutting off the head of a chicken and then will distribute tickets to selected theme camps depending on the patterns of the blood spatter. Marian will be personally be interpreting the blood patterns for optimum distribution and to avoid scalpers....

Bucockkkkkk!!!!! Thanks for the laugh!!!!!

But what about the peyote?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:13 am

AntiM wrote:

But what about the peyote?

I heard junglesmacks cornered that market and sold it all to those crazy hawaiians. You didn't think those hips moved themselves did you?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion