Recommendations for an old-lady-solo-new comer?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Recommendations for an old-lady-solo-new comer?

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:10 pm

Good point about dust in power tools.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:14 pm

I bought 14 inch length, 3/8 lag bolts, with washers. I have yet to try them, I'm hoping my medium/decent quality hand tool type ratchet set will be enough. FIGJAM usues a power drill (I think). I would rather use my hand tool type ratchet set to put in and remove about 20 to 30 lags bolts. I haven't tried these on the playa, 2012 will be the year I do give them a go. I'd like to know if the ratchet wrench will do the job easily enough. What do ya's think?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:21 pm

FIGJAM wrote:This is what Moonrise is talking about! 8)

http://www.wholesalebolts.com/hexheadlagscrews3/8x14.aspx

This size will fit THROUGH your grommets!

I'll be bringing a drill to install mine.

The lag bolts just screw in and stay secure? That would be awesome. Have you ever had any issues with this method?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:57 pm

FIGJAM told me he uses the lags attached to his truck bumper, they hold well enough to drive the truck to tension the shade structure he built. I ordered a bunch of the lags and washers from that site, fast and goood prices. :)

FIGJAM made an efficient 'playa pod' (as well as the swamp cooler) playa pod is schweeet! There's a thread for it, it's worth looking up.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Bob » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Jesus fuck, it's going to be a long year.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Elliot » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Squirrelhead, when you discover a thread "in progress", it may serve you well to read previous posts before asking a question. Bob just told us that playa soil does NOT work like wood.

Moonrise, I do not understand about lag screws and the truck bumper. Mutually exclusive hardware, I should think.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ygmir » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 pm

Elliot wrote:Squirrelhead, when you discover a thread "in progress", it may serve you well to read previous posts before asking a question. Bob just told us that playa soil does NOT work like wood.

Moonrise, I do not understand about lag screws and the truck bumper. Mutually exclusive hardware, I should think.

I wonder if Moon means "carriage bolts"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:21 pm

The edge of the tarp that extends clear down to the surface is where the lag bolts will be screwed in.

Once they get past the top 3", they should screw into the hard clay and hold secure because of the threads on the bolts. 8)

Wind was about 25mph when the pic was taken.

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Yea, what FIGJAM said.

I also saw it done to hold ground tarps down at my camp in 2010. The lag bolts & washers ran through a grommet into the playa, it seemed to work well for the vets in our camp.

I always carry my ratchet set, but I'll probably bring my power drill to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now that we've covered a few of the nuts and bolts, what else can we recommend to the OP?
moonrise

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:30 am

Elliot wrote:Oh, I always bring a three-foot sledge and a four-foot jack, for the bigger stakes, but I want to play with my pneumatic toys! :lol:

two words: rotary hammer!!!!
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby StevenGoodman » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:54 pm

Back to the original question!

Most any decent tent will work, if it is setup correctly. If it isn't really sturdy it will need some kind of wind block, and extra tie downs. Use you car, or your neighbor's truck, etc. One advantage of being in a group, it acts as a big collective wind block. Or get a really solid tent, like a Kodiak or Springbar.

Good stakes are important. Rebar is not required, I wouldn't even recommend rebar for a normal tent. I use military stakes:
[url]http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/15-used-us-military-tent-stakes.aspx?a=935828[/url]

Much easier to use than rebar, and they hold great. Get good stakes and bring a 3lb one handed sledge. Whack them a few times and they will pull out without much trouble.

Shade is important, but even a heavy duty silver tarp over your tent will help in the mornings; but not much during the rest of the day. 2011 was so mild shade wasn't that big a deal; but some years it is absolutely a requirement. No matter what people say, good EZups will hold up on the playa. But they need to be secured well, might need additional guy lines, etc. But it needs to be a good solid EZup, not the cheap ones.

You can do Burning Man without cooking. Tortillas, lunch meat, cheese, fruit, etc. But a small one burner propane stove and one pot doesn't take much room, and you can have soup, etc. Bring a chair, a little folding table, etc, and make a little porch in front of your tent. Since ice is available a cooler full of food can easily last a week. Keep the cooler off the ground and don't put the fruit in the cooler!

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:25 pm

PatiencePie might be amazed when she comes back and sees what has happened to her Introductory thread. :lol: Lots of good stuff here!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ratty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 am

PatiencePie, Welcome and you are a youngster. I've got 20 years on you and I go solo.

Bring the structure of your dreams. You'll get plenty of help. This year I decided that my 'building' is the biggest hassle of the entire week. I'm selling it and bringing 2 yard umbrellas. In my mind there's a metal plate I run my tire over and it has a pipe welded onto it. I'll get two of them and slip my umbrellas in when I'm at the camp looking for a shady spot. I sleep in the van on a comfy air mattress. I'm rarely there unless I'm eating or sleeping.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Ratty » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:49 am

The mention of age has inspired me to update my avatar. Yes, that's me in poodle mode.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Patiencepie » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:55 am

Thanks everybody for the awesome advice! Didn't Exactly mean "old"old when I said old! I just meant, well you know, when your 20 you just lift stuff and be all tough coz you think you can (my mom was 5 ft tall, bucked hay and said she could do any job any man could do, and ended up with 10 back surgeries), and I just know my limitations. As a person arriving by myself, just want to make sure I can deal with my structure! I have tons of good ideas now, thanks so much. This has given me a lot of ideas to work with and I have all summer to setup and experiment in my back yard. STOKED!!!
Patiencepie

Postby Canoe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am

Igneouss wrote:... My $.02 is that you keep it simple your first year. Bring a camping tent. Bring some bigger stakes. As other have pointed out, rebar can be overkill for some applications. 12" spikes are good for basic tents.
Plan for max flexibility and simplicity and you will be fine. You will also discover how wonderfully helpful all your neighbors can be...

Ratty wrote:... Bring the structure of your dreams. You'll get plenty of help. ...

+ on keep it simple
what will you do if it's super windy for the first two days you arrive?
tipi and a tent for backup?
14' tipi will catch a lot of wind, you need to know it will stay up and not blow away (and into anyone)

StevenGoodman wrote:Back to the original question!
Most any decent tent will work, if it is setup correctly. If it isn't really sturdy it will need some kind of wind block, and extra tie downs. Use you car, or your neighbor's truck, etc. One advantage of being in a group, it acts as a big collective wind block.
Shade is important, but even a heavy duty silver tarp over your tent will help in the mornings; but not much during the rest of the day. 2011 was so mild shade wasn't that big a deal; but some years it is absolutely a requirement. No matter what people say, good EZups will hold up on the playa. But they need to be secured well, might need additional guy lines, etc. But it needs to be a good solid EZup, not the cheap ones.

+ on that

also, although you need shade for your tent, don't be surprised if you end up invited to share neighbours shade

due to the relatively low cost, consider the cooling bucket detailed at http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=280&t=33842&start=1170
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping