So Simple or am I missing it

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

So Simple or am I missing it

Postby Mule » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:52 pm

I have a ticket. I recieved an email with a confirmation number for my purchase . BMORG has my confirmation number and name as well as credit card info that I bought the ticket with. Why can't the website already set up by BMORG for burners to sell their tix become the sole venue for resale using this information?

As in; a confirmation number is required along with the sellers name to re-sell a ticket. Entering old confirmation number and my name I could resell , the buyer is issued a new confirmation number to match his name. It would be simple to cross reference "good face value" tix at the gate . UNVALIDATED RESOLD TICKETS WOULD NOT BE HONORED. insert" OOOOOOOOhhhh thats so mean" snark here.

Assumptions: ( only 4... keep reading) :wink:

(1) There is some legalize in the ticket agreement that allows BMORG to ammend the specifics of the ticketing " agreement" to allow above

(2) there is no law against a organizer requiring an event ticket to be re-certified by the event organization upon changing hands. This seems like a a contractual provision ( per above)

(3) There would not be an exclusion of the scalpers( it's legal in nevada after all) , they would just be forced to resell on the " legit" website and compete with face value sellers in which they would fail miserably. I'm sure The event has a right to refuse to post content on the re-sale website deemed objectionable. I would deem tickets over face objectionable in the extreme.

(4) The gate can manage to move traffic thru by scanning tix and checking ID for a match. " we can build epic flaming towers of art, flying spaceships, and a mind bending event we should be able to check ID's and cross reference confirmation numbers. I have time to roll in the dust and ring a bell I have time to show my I.D.

In my humble opinion this eliminates the scalper element....... if that is the problem. If the assumptions above are valid the scalpers are an easy fix. PLEASE somebody punch holes in this argument, I must be missing something, or maybe not????
Mule

Re: So Simple or am I missing it

Postby bentang » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:45 am

Hi Mule,

Your system works fine for registering the transfer of ticket ownership. What it doesn't do is prevent the scalper from receiving money in exchange for the original scalper valid name and confirmation number. So for example, if I'm the scalper, and you're the buyer. I have a valid confirmation number, and I put ad ad up on eBay for one ticket, buy now for $1000 plus the face value of the ticket. You see the ad and want to buy the ticket from me. I tell you to put $1000 into my Paypal account and I'll email you my confirmation number and name. You go the the BMorg system with that info and get gain access to my valid ticket, I get a refund of it's face value. You pay the BMorg the face value amount and get a new confirmation number. I take the $1000 from you via Paypal and my credit card gets refunded the face value of the ticket.

Did I miss something here?

Ben
bentang

Postby The CO » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:58 am

Ben, listen to your village mate:

DON'T TAKE THE BAIT!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby yellfireinatheater » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:33 pm

i think the only solution is a name printed on each ticket. i think this could work if names could only be transferred through STEP. tickets sold through STEP are anonymous. the drawback would be you wouldn't get to chose who your extra ticket goes to, but it may create a larger STEP market. so who you want to get the ticket would still have a pretty good shot at getting a ticket even if it's not your ticket. it would cut down on people buying extra tickets or people who arent even sure if they want to go and virtually no scalping. we can argue all day about how many scalpers got tickets, but it doesn't matter. cuz even the threat of scalpers has sent burners into hysteria and led to over registering. i'm a pretty paranoid person and hate having to show my ID, but i think this truly is the best solution.
yellfireinatheater

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ninjaparamedic » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:16 am

I don't see Y Mule's idea won't work. Yes, those determined to sell tickes still could; and those determined to pay $1000 for tickets still could, but wouldn't giving a burner your name and confirmation number garuntee that the scalper wont be able to scam the system ever again?
Do good things.
Ninjaparamedic

Postby Stephendragonfly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:32 am

Item 22 of the Terms and Conditions of this year's tickets.

22. These Terms and Conditions may be changed by Burning Man prior to the Event, and if so the revised Terms and Conditions will apply to you. Your use of the ticket for entry to the Event signifies your binding agreement to the Terms and Conditions in effect at the time of your entry to the Event.

Unless I am misreading the legalese, BMorg could change to non-transferable tickets relatively easily (but not necessarily cheaply) before the gates open.
Stephendragonfly

Location: A planet that is three quarters covered with water, but we call it Earth.

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion