My packing list. Am I missing anything?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: My packing list. Am I missing anything?

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:28 am

tattoogoddess wrote:I am with Barbie Death Camp this year. I don't really have the option for a evap. but I guess I could bring it and hang it my self. Any idea on how long it takes to heat one up?

Camp showers come with the dues.

That said, we usually get by with a combination of bay wipes and a garden sprayer (overgrown mister bottle works too). Booby Bar had camp showers for us last year, I think I used it once, maybe twice. The trick is you can't use regular shampoo and conditioner, they muck up the evap terribly. I hate Doc Bronner's in my hair, but is sufficed that one time. You also can't run the water, you must learn to shower the Navy way... water on, wet down, water off. Soap up, using as little sudsy stuff as possible. Water on, rinse. If you've never done that, try it a few times at home. Takes a little practice. For ladies, a wash cloth in a ziploc bag makes reaching the tender bits simpler.

Find a leave-in conditioner.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:38 am

ticket.....
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:16 am

Nobody needs a ticket this year, Sham...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

Vise grips. Two pair is best but one will do. For when it becomes time to take the rebar OUT of the ground. It doesn't pull easy because of the embossment which is good till you want it out. Then you take the vise grip and clamp it on, and you can turn the rebar to auger out the hole and voila la!, it slides out easily. There are rebar pullers you can buy, but for the smaller pieces this works well.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:51 am

Vise grips also double as nifty nipple clamps.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:33 am

AntiM wrote:Vise grips also double as nifty nipple clamps.

That's why I said that bringing two would be optimal.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:38 am

Dr Helix wrote:

That's why I said that bringing two would be optimal.

I think you've hit upon the X sports factor addition to Retro-frolic's clothespin game.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 pm

I think buy a canvas camp chair (even if the cheaper version is all you can afford) they're great for having a seat whenever and whereveryou need to sit down.

Cigs are low priced at Nevada Native American smoke shop stores. I think it's worth making the switch to American Spirit (the black pack is great, has a slight liquor flavor and they do NOT burn out/down too fast). About $53 for a carton. (they have super low cost, nasty cigs and standard brands, but, yuk, American Spirit are da best)
I buy mine at the Mill street reservation smoke shop in Reno (near the air port).

Vaseline or bag balm.

Vaseline type lip balm, the small tube will NOT allow melted balm to run out, because it has a screw on cap.

Doubtful you'll need to bring a hammer. I think BDCamp will have a sledge hammer of sorts, plenty of burners will bring one you can borrow to pound da re bar.

Flips flops for around camp and to and from the shower. Maybe also some sort of slip on slipper.

Camera should have a ziplock, and can(s) of air is a good idea (BBadger must know something!!) My camera usually breaks after a few pictures due to it's moving lense. This year I replaced it with a fjui XP fine pix (water, shock, freeze and dust proof!) This new camera is a treat, takes mini movies and has a constant "on" light.
I bought several extra lithium batteries and one extra 8Gb memory card for the new camera.
I also have a small bendable (low cost) tri pod for those timer shots and self portraits etc.

gold bond powder (mini travel size).

Vitalyte or electrolyte tablets for anti-muscle cramping (gator aid sucks!!).

Sharpies come in multi colored packs, worth the extra few bucks imo.

mini mirror (unless your make up compact has one).

chop sticks, and spoon, fork & knife (ya' can't eat granola with a chop stick :)) Non refrigderator type individual size milks, if you like liquid on your granola/cereal.

small, closeable tin can for portable ash tray.

single ply toilet paper.

mini battery powered lantern for inside tent. I found some good ones (Coleman brand) for $5 each (at wally mart).
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:41 pm

AntiM wrote:
Camp showers come with the dues.

That said, we usually get by with a combination of bay wipes and a garden sprayer (overgrown mister bottle works too). Booby Bar had camp showers for us last year, I think I used it once, maybe twice. The trick is you can't use regular shampoo and conditioner, they muck up the evap terribly. I hate Doc Bronner's in my hair, but is sufficed that one time. You also can't run the water, you must learn to shower the Navy way... water on, wet down, water off. Soap up, using as little sudsy stuff as possible. Water on, rinse. If you've never done that, try it a few times at home. Takes a little practice. For ladies, a wash cloth in a ziploc bag makes reaching the tender bits simpler.

Find a leave-in conditioner.

Yep. I thought about the sprayer as i have heards this is a really good way to get clean but cant take the garden sprayer cause of riding on amtrak. Have to pack light. I did buy like 6 packs of baby whipes and some fem wipes though. if worse comes to worse I will run behind the water truck. I had dreads now so I only need to run water down my scalp with diluted shampoo and rinse. No conditioner for me. I wil be taking them out when I get home. ( Synthetic dreads) and conditioning the hell out of my hair.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:44 pm

AntiM, correct me if I'm wrong, but almost everything you own doubles as nifty nipple clamps! :shock:
Sham

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:52 pm

canvas camp chair- amtrak... ground and i will be buddies by the end.

Cigs- We have a settlement about 20 min from here I can get them out but may wait till reno due to packing space on the train

Vaseline or bag balm. Check

Vaseline type lip balm, the small tube will NOT allow melted balm to run out, because it has a screw on cap.- Check thats what i got yesterday

Flips flops for around camp and to and from the shower. Maybe also some sort of slip on slipper. Working on the clothing list bit by bit. Want to see the weather for that week so most of my clothing packing will wait to a night or so before i leave. But flip flops always come with me.

Camera should have a ziplock, and can(s) of air is a good idea (BBadger must know something!!) My camera usually breaks after a few pictures due to it's moving lense. This year I replaced it with a fjui XP fine pix (water, shock, freeze and dust proof!) This new camera is a treat, takes mini movies and has a constant "on" light. -Mine also has a moving lense, Cant really afford a new one to take so need to find out how to make this work.

gold bond powder (mini travel size). Check

Vitalyte or electrolyte tablets for anti-muscle cramping (gator aid sucks!!). Have been looking into these. Going to go to des moines in a few weeks and going to check out the sports shop to see what i can find.

Sharpies come in multi colored packs, worth the extra few bucks imo. -Check

mini mirror (unless your make up compact has one). -Check

chop sticks, and spoon, fork & knife (ya' can't eat granola with a chop stick :)) Non refrigderator type individual size milks, if you like liquid on your granola/cereal. buying food in reno and have silverware on my list:) Planned on flat bread and poptarts for breakfast.

small, closeable tin can for portable ash tray. -Yep on the list

single ply toilet paper. -On the list

mini battery powered lantern for inside tent. I found some good ones (Coleman brand) for $5 each (at wally mart)._Yeah I just realized last night that this was not on the list :( That was a big miss!
tattoogoddess

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:31 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Vitalyte or electrolyte tablets for anti-muscle cramping (gator aid sucks!!). Have been looking into these. Going to go to des moines in a few weeks and going to check out the sports shop to see what i can find.

Get it from Amazon. Cheapest price you can find and free two day shipping if you register for the Prime trial. Just turn off auto-renewal and you won't be charged.

Shop as much as you can online if you are on any kind of budget or even if you aren't. You'll save gas money, sales tax and almost always get the best price.. especially with the free two day shipping at Amazon. Hell, when my Prime trial runs out I just start another account and sign up for the free trial all over again. Repeat monthly. Same address, CC#, everything. They know, and they don't care. Might have something to do with the MSNBC report last week about how Prime users spend 140% more than non-Prime.. :wink:

Also, it's not just for muscle cramping. You'll physically be replenishing your body quicker and more efficiently of lost electrolytes. You won't be as thirsty as much and you'll just straight feel better. I noticed though that I worked best drinking it all day and switching to straight water at night or else my mouth would hurt a little from it. Too much is too much..

http://www.amazon.com/Vitalyte-Sports-D ... 900&sr=8-1
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 pm

How long will that last sense it says 80 servings. Im guessing 8oz ones? How well is it in the camelbak bladders? What is the best flavor ( grape is out)
tattoogoddess

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:57 pm

yea, what jungle said.

And, Vitalyte/electrolyte tablets help reduce the amount of fluids you need to drink (for staying hydrated) and the NUMBER of times you'll need to hunt down a potty!

I swear, some feel they are going from potty rows to potty rows (not camp to camp or art to art etc) until they discover vitalyte/electrolyte tabs, because you drink less water! (tip: some or all of the potties have blue lights up top at the end of each row...keep your eyes peeled for those (tiny) blue lights at night)

Go ahead sit on the ground, get the dust all over your ass, up inside your clothes and on and on, but for maybe $12 to $15 bucks you can get a decent folding canvas chair.
Yea, BDCamp has a few couches, but you'll want a frickin' chair to drag around and visit and NOT become a couch potato (you'll want a simple chair)
I have a broken back, I'm NOT sitting on the fucking ground except for a picnic or whatever, and I bring a nice lounger type mesh chair, I gotta have it.

TG, watch out for the naked hippies out and about, they aren't lit and they're easy to hit on your bike (I drive the moonmobile, I haven't run one over, yet) :wink:

ETA, the citrus is the best flavor (I tried them all, watermelon is nasty! too much Vit B bitterness) citrus can work for instant OJ for screw driver cocktails, in a pinch :)
I never bothered figuring out how much to mix, I just did the minimum on label (or more!) in a gallon jug and was good to go. Maybe make a strong mix in a water bottle and keep the camel back for water only!! Or just get the tablet electrolytes, no mixing hassles. (I like the tatste of citrus Vitalyte, it worked for me and everyone I shared it with).
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:06 pm

moonrise wrote:
TG, watch out for the naked hippies out and about, they aren't lit and they're easy to hit on your bike (I drive the moonmobile, I haven't run one over, yet) :wink:

5 POINTS!! 10 if they are on stilts.

Hey also maybe someone can give me some advice on this.. i know weird but, I am a bigger girl... well yeah legs rubbing together... what is a good chafing cream? Or do I even need it sense perspiration is wicked so quickly?

So don't put it in the camelbak is what you are saying? How is the fruit punch? and what would you say the citrus tastes like?
tattoogoddess

Postby dragonpilot » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:31 pm

You really don't need rebar to hold down a car camping tent. Several 10" aluminum "nails" tent stakes will do the job. They're lighter to carry and extraction is easy when it's time to break camp. Plus they drive in flush to the ground so nothing sticking up to rip open a perfectly good leg.

Chap stick on a string (loop). Easier to use when it's right there and not at the bottom of your pack.

Channel locks or pliers.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Oh so, you're not going to resist the chair afterall? (good, you'll want one I think). There are bondage type chairs out there, but they're usually quite busy (and too heavy to simply drag around,lol).

Zesty Citrus is the best. Fruit punch, blech, what kind of screw driver would THAT make?

I'd say do NOT add anything to a camel back other than WATER!! Else you'll taint the bladder, duh!

I don't know what prevents chaffing between the legs; maybe just keep your legs apart? Haha, I had to say that didn't I? You're probably better off asking one of the Pollyanna's around eplaya, they'll know the answer.
moonrise

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:36 pm

moonrise wrote:O

maybe just keep your legs apart? Haha, I had to say that didn't I?

Now taking numbers tee he he.

ok sense I am taking amtrack any good ideas on chairs? anything that would fit in a bag in the extra space in my bike box?
tattoogoddess

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:49 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Hey also maybe someone can give me some advice on this.. i know weird but, I am a bigger girl... well yeah legs rubbing together... what is a good chafing cream? Or do I even need it sense perspiration is wicked so quickly?

NOT WEIRD. Smart question.

God knows why I remember my friends' specific personal care habits, but my friend Mzfit was kind enough to share his recommendation in another thread:

mzfit wrote:I had found some great anti chafe stuff at the local runners store called bodyglide. I keep it in my bag that I carry around on playa and apply it liberally. It works wonders for keeping my thighs from screaming at me! Not an advertisement - I have nothing to do with the manufacturer or distributors - just sharing something that has worked for me!

I use cornstarch baby powder myself, but that might be sufficient because I'm using it as a preventative, not a cure. These days I keep some Gold Bond medicated mini powders at camp too, in case anyone needs a spare.

tattoogoddess wrote:So don't put it in the camelbak is what you are saying? How is the fruit punch? and what would you say the citrus tastes like?

I've heard that camelbaks hold onto flavors way too well, and don't release them, hence everyone urging you to keep it for water. (I don't use one.) I make electrolyte mixes using my 12 oz or my 32 oz stainless canteens, or my camping cup. You wanna have your cup on you, anyway. It's hard for a bartender to pour a cocktail into your camelbak . . .
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:52 pm

If your ride share will take you from AmTrac to shopping, then there'll be plenty of the folding type camping chairs at the BIg Box stores. Maybe it'll fit in a bike box, IDK I don't ride bikes anymore :(

BDCamp is in a Village. My guess is you'll want your own chair so you can visit other areas. There are only so many chairs to go around and everyone brought at least one per person. It IS camping afterall. If I'm wrong about this one (I doubt it) someone from the BDC Village will speak up (please).
moonrise

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Savannah wrote:
I've heard that camelbaks hold onto flavors way too well, and don't release them, hence everyone urging you to keep it for water. (I don't use one.) I make electrolyte mixes using my 12 oz or my 32 oz stainless canteens, or my camping cup. You wanna have your cup on you, anyway. It's hard for a bartender to pour a cocktail into your camelbak . . .

Gees Im going to be carrying alot of stuff lol. I have a playa mug, still looking into getting a camelback, and then a electo bottle. Maybe I should just stick to a single bottle (camlebak) with the electro mix and my mug.
tattoogoddess

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:06 pm

Camping chairs probably start at literally $5 in Reno at WalMart and similar . . . although for a mesh one (less sweaty) or a really nice one you might pay $20 or more. If I were coming in on a train (and I wasn't particular) I probably wouldn't transport a chair in my bike box if there was anything else from home I conceivably wanted to stuff in there instead. I'd probably wait and pick up a chair in Reno, or make arrangements with a reliable friend to pick one up for me and pay them on-site . . . and then give it away or donate in Reno at the end of the week.

That said--I am pickier than average about my own chairs. I do like mesh if it has to be the classic "sit in a bucket" design; I don't like sweating in a tight unbreathable chair. So what I actually use in camp are padded, open folding chairs instead, for this reason ($5 each used in a thrift store, easy to wipe-clean w/ clorox). I have an REI camping stool for visiting.

(9 times out of 10 someone offers me a chair when they invite me into their personal shade, so a chair to take visiting is not necessary or expected; it's just fun.)
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:12 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:How long will that last sense it says 80 servings. Im guessing 8oz ones? How well is it in the camelbak bladders? What is the best flavor ( grape is out)

I use mine exclusively in the camelback with absolutely no problems. No staining, no nothing. I like the fruit punch the best. One large 2.2lb tub will last one person the whole burn exactly right.

Also.. Look at DaKine backpacks with a built in Camelbak bladder. They are absolutely the best bags around and so super functional. I use the Heli-Pro (http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/snow-packs/guys/heli-pro), and my girlfriend uses the girls Session (http://www.dakine.com/p/packs/bike-pack ... ls-session). I can't recommend these bags enough.. they are completely sick.
junglesmacks

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:13 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Gees Im going to be carrying alot of stuff lol.

You will be. :D
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Iv been looking around on ebay a bit. I have found 3L bladders for about $10 with shipping and a pack for $4 MOLLE system it is all military surplus and the bladder is new in packaging. I have a waist belt with beaners and all that non sense so i have less stuff on my back. maybe buy 2 bladders? one for water and one for the electos?

>>>>>>College student on VERY tight budget. Dollar tree and ebay is the way I have to go this year.
tattoogoddess

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:14 pm

Nah.. just one. Electros during the day, water at night. Vodka mixed therein. You'll be fine.
junglesmacks

Postby Savannah » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:22 pm

Just skip the White Russians. :lol:
Savannah

Postby moonrise » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:10 pm

Yep, what Savannah said.

I meant if visiting within your own village TG, you miiiiight want a chair (just in case they're aren't any extra ones available) when you visit others at thier tents or whatevers within your village. You would NOT want to try to bring a chair out and about exploring (especially on a bike).

I like Zesty Citrus (don't listen to js!!) haha, and I still haven't tried putting anything but water in a camelbak bladder, but if I did and it made it taste funny, well it is camping afterall...you'd get used to the faint taste of fruit punch (yuk).

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Rotweiler puppy to attend to :) She's sooooo cuuuute....teething has begun! (help!)
moonrise

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:14 pm

If you bring any medications, be sure that you keep them in the original pharmacy bottles. The police can be flaming dickheads if they want to be.
Sham

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:56 pm

..or just keep them safe and sound in your bloodstream with everything else. Hasn't failed me yet.
junglesmacks

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks