Looking for the maker of this van shade

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Looking for the maker of this van shade

Postby danibel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 am

Try as I did, I could not find the orignal post of this shade built off the end of a cargo van. I am seriously looking at this design for 2012. I want to buy shade cloth instead of tarps (noise factor) and I am unsure of where to start for measurements. I also have a few questions about attaching the shade to the back of the van. I was thinking about installing a roof rack so that I could run the shade cloth all the way to the front and protect the roof from the midday sun. Would it be worth the trouble?

Any tips on the best kind of bungees for the shade cloth to attach to the van? Any special modifications to the van to support the attachement of the shade? What kind of poles are used and any tips on best source to buy them (and a tip on size)? And lastly, have you made any additional improvements you can share with me?

If you are out there, can you reply to this thread, or send me a PM?

Thanks much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Re: Looking for the maker of this van shade

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

You could build a slide out frame like I did on my playapod! (mount to the top of the van like a roof rack and can be used as one.)

13' pieces that slide through the frame after its extended will give you a 12x30 shade with no upright poles! 8)

I just bumped the thread in transportation or search "playapod" for instructions.

Or pm me with any questions. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:06 pm

If you do it right, a structure using tarps should be tight as a drum and there shouldn't be any noise. Then you get the added bonus of blocking wind (and rain, because it does do that sometimes). Shade cloth is cool though, so if that's in your budget and you'd rather go that route more power to you.

I don't know the person who took/posted that pic, but looking at it that appears to be a plumber's pipe frame. I don't see any guy lines, so it was probably driven directly down into the playa a ways, and then the tension of the shade material keeps it in place. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby danibel » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks Figjam and Trilo for the responses.

@Figjam - your structure is fantastic. At this point I am not ready to take on a rollout shade thingie, but it's good food for thought!

I spent some time wondering around a big box home improvement store and found that the prices are very reasonable for the actual pipes and connections (a couple bucks). It's going to be the shade cloth or tarps that will set me back.

I do hope the maker chimes in at some point before the burn. I would really like to know about that tire on top of the van. Do I need to throw my spare on the roof? Or can will this work without that? Measurements of the pipes and covers (tarps?) would be fantastic too, but I think I could figure it out if I need to.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby alt12 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:15 pm

danibel wrote:Thanks Figjam and Trilo for the responses.

@Figjam - your structure is fantastic. At this point I am not ready to take on a rollout shade thingie, but it's good food for thought!

I spent some time wondering around a big box home improvement store and found that the prices are very reasonable for the actual pipes and connections (a couple bucks). It's going to be the shade cloth or tarps that will set me back.

I do hope the maker chimes in at some point before the burn. I would really like to know about that tire on top of the van. Do I need to throw my spare on the roof? Or can will this work without that? Measurements of the pipes and covers (tarps?) would be fantastic too, but I think I could figure it out if I need to.

Looks like three EMT poles (2 vertical, 1 horizontal) with standard tarp off all 4 sides and using the van + tire weight to hold down the roof and then zip-tied the side walls to the roof....

Can I suggest something here? You could just build a simple and sturdy 10 x 10 square shade structure using EMT for very cheap but self supported so no need for tires. It appears this guy built 1 face of a typical flat EMT-based square shade structure and just attached the tarps to each other and used tire to weigh down on one end. I use this as shade structure for my Kodiak tent and it works very well...

HomeDepot will cut you to your specification as much 1" or 3/4" EMT as you need. I've done this before with them. Its like $4 for standard a 10ft length of 3/4" EMT (electrical metal tubing) conduit, So get 4 lengths cut at around 7' for the legs and 4 of the 10' lengths as is for the square roof (you could have them cut to 8 x8 or whatever if that won't fit in your van for transportation) . Then order 4 corner joints from http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/ff3acc.html for $5 each = grand total of $52. 3/4" EMT slips perfectly over rebar spikes and then of course you tie it down and voila, an extremely sturdy shade structure.... You'll need zip-ties or bungee balls to connect the tarp to the structure and thats about it... This company has properly sized shade-cloth with the grommets for the bungees at various sizes depending on your needs. A 10 x10 grommeted shade cloth is $37. Tarp is obviously a lot cheaper. Either way they fit perfectly: http://www.creativeshelters.com/Tarps/Canopy-Tarp.aspx?fnMenuName=BlackSunShadeScreenMesh I used one of these last year and it was very sturdy, I definitely prefer it to tarp, rain not withstanding....

The nice thing about this is that you can customize the lengths to the measurements of your van. If you're van is only 6.8 ft. tall then have the lengths cut to 6.8 ft. If the van is 6 ft wide, then you have the 4 piece of the roof cut at 6 x 6 instead of standard 10 x10. You can do whatever you like... Just don't forget to compensate for impact of joint themselves I think they add an 1" or 2 to the overall dimensions...

WIsh I had a picture of my tent canopy built this way but it looks roughly like this Image

Also you can just order the whole kit (minus the poles that you get cut at home depot for pretty cheap at: http://www.topcanopy.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=134&idproduct=3948
Its like $33 including bungees and tarp. Definitely the best way to go on the cheap....
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby The Bee » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:46 pm

I built my van shade off the side of my van (not the back like in the pic you posted.) I used a combination of shade cloth and camo cloth, and I used pvc poles. Attached the cloth to the pvc using regular bungie-balls. It moves around a bit in the wind, but that's OK. Last year was the first year I covered the van roof (with the camo cloth) and it made the inside much nicer. I built a roof rack using gutter-mounted brackets and some lumber that I had lying around. BTW, I'm often in Boulder Creek, just up the road from you.
The Bee

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:15 pm

I knew that looked familiar. Danibel, the maker of that van + shade was bobushka king, in this this thread:

Burning Inside Van
viewtopic.php?f=277&t=42334

If the thread doesn't answer your questions, try sending him a PM. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby danibel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 pm

Thank you Savannah! I will send him a PM.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby usurpedus » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:28 pm

good stuff!
usurpedus

Return to Shelter & Camping