It "could" be true?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

It "could" be true?

Postby pinemom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:38 am

Just a observation, dont shoot me!

I have been crazy over this, thanking my lucky stars that we arnt doing our Theme camp this year....

But during my rants and condolences wishes over on FB...I was reading a post over on Burning man Page(FB) and looked to the Left, OM'FUCKING'G...318,588 likes.

um, guys...has this ever statement (or even one remotely in the ball park) uttered from your mouth to someone you know, that has never been?

"OMG the things that you will see"

Im observing, that yes, although there are apprx.+ 120 tickets attempting to be scalped in physical view of our own eyeballs, on tickethub/bay/master/jackoff

Um,the rest my dear folks, Just MIGHT be a influx of people who wanna know why we all come back floating on cloud nine looking like something the cat dragged in and savored.
Why we spend so much on this crazy thing in the desert when we could go on a vacation to anywhere every yr for what we spend.
The permagrinshiteating smile that no matter what, just cant seem to be smeared off.
The talk of the most amazing art and the relationships with the actual artist that we now call kinship, not Oh I met him. More like Holy shit we met, we all danced, we talked, we ended up at trash fence with this out of this world picnic at dawn....etc...etc...

I have a feeling we've shared the love and happiness Bm brings us, in a time when so many folks are feeling the default world fail them.
Everything they knew to be strong, is now tainted, with no reassurance of change for the better.
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Re: It "could" be true?

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:46 am

Well I've never successfully convinced anyone to go to Burning Man. There's only a few people who I thought would really dig it, but it turns out they are not the same kind of crazy I am. I quit trying after a while. But all you charismatic, persuasive people, you got some 'splainin to do!!
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby ygmir » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:47 am

interesting concept, Piney......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby The CO » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:54 am

Wait a second....

Are you saying the event might have high demand for tickets because a shitload of people want to go? And some of them might not have been before?

That's just crazy talk.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby pinemom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:05 am

hahah
this part is a fantasy....

so you take the city.....and double it,copy, Flip.... as it seems we are THAT big!

BOOBIES on the Playa!!!!!!Two cities in ONE! The gift of Life....

Ok Lemur...you can sit on my lap now.
pinemom

Postby vapor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am

I definitely believe that the issue with tickets has been a lot of speculative buying based on the hype of the sell out last year. I would bet that a lot of people who haven't been before registered just in case they want to go, knowing they can always resell the tickets later. The question remains at what point speculation turns into a decision. I'd bet that in many cases it is when tickets are mailed in June.

There's a long time natural growth curve of attendance and there's no reason to think that curve is any different this year. I think that is what the org was counting on, I know I was thinking the same thing and just registered for 1 ticket (didn't win) - I honestly thought demand for tickets would not be much more than the 40K available . . . I really find it hard to believe that there was some large increase (3-5x ?) in people who are planning to go now than were planning to go last year at this time. Scalpers, sure, some. Over registering, sure, some amount. But I don't think those add up to what seems like about a 30% chance of getting a ticket.

I have also found it incredibly difficult to convince people to go. A lot of people have initial interest, then I start explaining things like the weather, no stores, total self reliance and they lose interest pretty quick.

So . . . we wait . . . the dust will settle at some point.
vapor

Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Postby pinemom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am

(sorry I aint got no yummy photoadobe type art software, I did this on my good olde PAINT!)

Pop:Cap 50K comfy in old BRC

POP: Cap In New Black Rock City 100K+/-

We are dreamers, are we not?
pinemom

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am

I tell ya, I've been blaming Dr Seuss for like an entire month!

And Mother Nature last year had a big role. What annoying dust storm? What scorching heat? What freezing cold nights?

And Time Magazine I am pretty sure. That issue last year, I just saw the cover "100 places to see in your lifetime" and that was enough to make me feel even more cool and important being a burner ;)

I think the most epic thing you said OP is this:

"
I have a feeling we've shared the love and happiness Bm brings us, in a time when so many folks are feeling the default world fail them.
Everything they knew to be strong, is now tainted, with no reassurance of change for the better."

HOLY. EFFIN. CRAP. Feelin this one. Its like a renaissance like last hurrah or something.....Borderlines creepy and is definitely eerie. BUT YEAH.....it is just so wacky. And the way many of us would rather talk about Burning Man than worldly issues (I AM GUILTY) Am I being apathetic and reveling in this escape pod, or is it truly an exercise in joy? Or BOTH? Yin Yang, as usual, this whole experiment is like totally yin yang yo
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Killbuck » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:13 am

LOVE that Booby BRC!!!!

But heck, we all know it's a big conspiracy.... Masons, Trilateral Commission and the Illuminati.... and lead by Amway distributors.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby pinemom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 am

Red Haven, I like the "escape pod"...haha, Maybe we should re-name this thread?
pinemom

Postby pinemom » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:17 am

~MWAH~

Kernul Killbuck Your the best!~
Thank you for my (at least)three extra permanent wrinkles in my smile lines we've added to my face over the yrs!
pinemom

Postby Minxy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

OH, god, Kernal that is priceless...hahahahaha.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:15 pm

It USED to be hard to convince people to go to Burning Man. Gets easier every year.
I heard about it for 10 years and I still had to have my ass dragged in 05
RedHeaven

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:28 pm

In 2009 attendance was lower (38k or something close to that?)
2010 it jumped to 50k+
2011 it sold out
2012 looks like a sell out

In 2010 our camp leader said he and other vets thought everyone had recovered enough from the shock of the recession and had either saved up their un-employment checks or found more work and could afford the time off cost wise and/or time off due to un-employment.

Also, there are plenty of baby boomers retiring, maybe they finally decided to attend (let's hope they participate!) burgin or not.

Almost 320k fb likes, if that's a big jump in numbers (and I think it is) then It "could" be true.

just my 2 cents.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:46 pm

vapor wrote:There's a long time natural growth curve of attendance and there's no reason to think that curve is any different this year.

There is a concept known as a "tipping point", where something that has been building or changing slowly suddenly "tips" and excelerates, or becomes the new standard. You're seeing it (in the US) with gay rights- a decade ago Ellen coming out on TV was shocking, today she's the most popular daytime host on TV, Neil Patrick Harris is hugely popular, gay marriage has over 50% of the population in favor of it...; I think the last few years have shown that Burning Man has hit that "tipping point" as well.

It used to be a slowly growing "underground" event, as the art & the theme camps and the very event have gotten larger, the interest has increased exponentially. With all the press attention the event gets and all the you-tube videos & facebook posts... yeah. I can easily see the demand doubling, especially since the weather the last few years has been near perfect (a little rain in '10, just perfect in '11).

Is that what actually happened? I don't know- and until the event starts none of us will. Unless multiple thousands of tickets hit the secondary markets in June/July, I have serious doubts that scalpers have that many (I don't doubt that they have some, possibly a noticeable percentage, but I certainly don't think they have 15,000 like some people are posting. Probably 2-5% tops)
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby burner von braun » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Excellent post Vapor. That is how a lot of this appears to me as well. For speculators just becoming aware, it was a decision, with little downside, to buy tickets to TTITD. However, once they begin to read the first timers guide and survival guide, and realize what they are in for, and stand there holding tickets in June, I think many will reconsider. And the ones that decide to go for it, well, they are welcome with open arms, unless they end up just showing up for the weekend, Aaarrg! Still, I'm not saying that there hasn't been quite a bit of opportunism by burners and scalper alike. FACE VALUE needs to be the mantra. Personally, I applied for one ticket, with no luck as well, but refuse to get unnerved at all until after June comes and goes. I hope to make some art to bring, but heck, I'd probably build it whether I make it out to the playa this year or not, just because.. it's what I do. It is the large scale art and the camps that I really feel especially bad for right now.

oh, and hey..
..nice aerial photo piney!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Gravybrain » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:38 pm

There are Youtube videos from last years event (including The Places you will go) that have tens of thousands of hits... the genie is out of the bottle, people want to come to Burning Man, I told 2 friends, you did too... now look what we have created. How many times have you said to your friends "you have to go to Burning Man"? Well it's 2012, they have been hearing us for years say it, now they want it. It's harder and harder to find someone who hasen't heard of Burning Man when the opposite was true only a few years ago... just my 2 cents!
Bringing back mutant vehicle Beau Le' Phant the pink elephant for Burning Man 2012!
http://beaulephant.weebly.com
Gravybrain

Postby wraith » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Boobie BRC is awesome, pinemom. :D

That said, I wouldn't take anything on facebook as an indication of demand. It's a hell of a lot easier to click 'like' than to trek out to the playa, after all. :)
wraith

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:40 pm

For sure, but the amount of likes on facebook, along with other details, proves that Burning Man has gotten very well known even more this past year.
I think only a year ago there was a third of that amount on FB. Sure FB has gotten popular too, but there are a lot of things like this that give me the idea that it just shot up in popularity within the past 12 months. More people than ever are talking about it. Non-burner music boards that I read and write on (non electronic music ones) have more threads about Burning Man than ever and more inquiries.

A couple years ago I decided to stop begging non believers to understand Burning man. Instead I just said "Don't do it, it sucks" which people start to read through those lines.

I have a Good handful of friends that have been and will not return, as it was just not their thing, or it was kind of but they would rather do other things. People are worried it is going to be a year with a lot of those people. They did give us 2 weeks to sign up for the lotto. Lots of time for all kinds of types to work out their shit. If they decide to not go, last years sell out proved that it would be easy to get rid of the tix. And who will be left to sell it to this summer? 3rd tier Burners like me who don't have a shit ton invested into going. The Bare Minimums. Or the ones who had faith!
RedHeaven

Postby vargaso » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:56 pm

I've convinced exactly no one to go to Burning Man, even though I've raved about it going on 6 years now. NONE of my friends not already connected with Burning Man have actually made it out there, although some have "expressed interest" in it. Could be that I and most of the people I know are in our 40s, I don't know. Lots of young people this year, I predict, all those kids (in their 20s) who have seen the YouTube videos and listen to the goddamn dubstep and have heard goddamn Bassnectar talk about it, ha. Not necessarily a bad thing.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby vapor » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Eric, yeah, I hadn't thought of the "tipping point" and that our popularity has likely accelerated well past the curve of historical growth. And so, change happens. Which is great by me.

Red Heaven, yeah, on second thought I agree that it is easier to get people to attend . . . if nothing else the psychological barrier to entry is lower with so many people knowing someone who went, not to mention the amount off online resources to prepare. And also the really bad weather being almost a myth at this point . . . I'm speaking of '99 and 2000.
vapor

Camp Name: Opulent Temple

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:10 pm

I have been convincing people that they DON"T want to go and it is a horrible thing to see for many years.

Don't blame me!!!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby remi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:15 pm

Could very well be true.

We are 7 burgins comming down from Calgary.. all because my great grandma has her birthday during Shambhala (another festival I usually attend, but won't be this year beause of the previously mentioned 100th bday.) Don't worry.. we've all been doing our homework.. and if there was a "virgin crew of the year" award.. I would like to think my crew could make a good run at it.. while trying not to over do it. I want to participate as much as I can, while still be able to observe the wonder that is Burning Man... so we won't be over the top, but we will have our evap.pond, monkey huts and some funky surprises.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:16 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I have been convincing people that they DON"T want to go and it is a horrible thing to see for many years.

Don't blame me!!!

youre saying this right?

"I went to burning man and my Dick burned so much it was shooting flames!!"

not a lie.. right?

..just wait until they hear about how you went to burning man and you found that you could detach the head of your dick!

thatll scare em
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Trishntek » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:28 pm

okay, Okay, OKAY! I did it! It's all my fault! We had ELEVEN virgins in our camp last year and I already have TWO MORE with tickets for this year.

SORRY! :cry:
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Trishntek wrote:okay, Okay, OKAY! I did it! It's all my fault! We had ELEVEN virgins in our camp last year and I already have TWO MORE with tickets for this year.

SORRY! :cry:

YOU RUINED BURNING MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Minxy » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:40 pm

I blame Bill.

DAMMIT BILL! >(
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:37 pm

We interrupt this thread for another boring heart flutter think out loud blog (apologies in advance)

remi wrote:Could very well be true.

We are 7 burgins comming down from Calgary.. all because my great grandma has her birthday during Shambhala (another festival I usually attend, but won't be this year beause of the previously mentioned 100th bday.) Don't worry.. we've all been doing our homework.. and if there was a "virgin crew of the year" award.. I would like to think my crew could make a good run at it.. while trying not to over do it. I want to participate as much as I can, while still be able to observe the wonder that is Burning Man... so we won't be over the top, but we will have our evap.pond, monkey huts and some funky surprises.

I hope to meet people like you this year. Just because things will be different doesn't mean I should give up....There is already so much to do, scaling back might make me less overwhelmed and more ready for adventures of involving myself all over the city. Kinda like my first year in 05, I just jotted around and met all kinds of folk. In 09, I actually stood there at camp on the esplanade that year, and looked dumbfounded into the distance when i was done what I had planned to do with camp. I was just overwhelmed.

I always had this thought that as much as I adored Burning Man, I shouldnt be such a sucker for it. I am only 2 hours from Reno so there are lots of folk around here to talk Bman with. I didn't want to sound like I was sooo attached to it, or that it was SUCH a big deal. I am not jaded, just trying to keep perspective. But my heart is so big for it! So I took 2010 off to let go a bit and save some money. Got back last year and just JUMPED the playas BONES I was so in love.....Thought to myself, not going to miss it again. I still want to keep my head in check but I was certain I wanted to go for life, now. Whatever, it has stolen my heart. All of you have.

I like what Simon said, something like being more concerned about bringing the playa to the world and less about bringing the world to the playa.
I have to admit I am in the frame of mind where I want to go to the Desert and Do My Thing. That I get that feeling best out there. That once I come off the playa lots of things are just not the same. But all of these things can be turned around in many ways.

I just needed to vent you guys, sorry if its too wordy.
RedHeaven

Postby bluesbob » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:39 pm

From the first time I heard of Burning Man to my first Burn was ten years.I've had a couple dozen people express a desire to attend. But not one has ever gone. I buy an extra ticket every year in case one of those who wants to go actually commits. Every year I end up gifting it.
"aw shucks.." - Eric
bluesbob

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Postby ellenoche » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:07 pm

[quote="oneeyeddick"]I have been convincing people that they DON"T want to go and it is a horrible thing to see for many years.

Don't blame me!!![/quote]

I don't blame you - good plan!!

I didn't get a ticket, and neither did the nine in my close circle of burning friends. Since my burgin' year in 2007, most all conversations with me had to do with Burning Man and how great it is. I've tried convincing all of my friends and family to go, didn't happen, they will "always want to go, but its not their thing". Yesterday, I heard that my bff's friend and his girlfriend got awarded tickets. I'm gonna start convincing them that they shouldn't go in hopes that they will sell me their ticket. :twisted: !!!

ps. there are only good adventures posted on youtube. don't people take footages of the bad things that can happen?
(I'm not all to great at film capturing, otherwise I would have filmed my monkey hut getting ripped apart from the dust storm that occurred the Thursday before the event started in 2010 - On second thought, I couldn't because was hanging on to the tarp and flexible PVC that was threatening to tear my arm off while screaming for help - last time I will build a shade structure at 3AM!!!!)
Little Ray of Sunshine
ellenoche

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion