MAKE IT BETTER - ALL TICKETS ONE PRICE! (a subjective rant!)

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

MAKE IT BETTER - ALL TICKETS ONE PRICE! (a subjective rant!)

Postby Lord Yo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:10 pm

(Continue reading with the knowledge that this is a very subjective rant, and professes no knowledge of the inherint complexities of running the show, and I have run lot's of shows)

Participants, friends, freaks, community... and Bmorg big business government (1%):

How can we change things this year?
... since everything will remain the same.

As a long time burner... I find the basic greed in the Bmorg the most discouraging thing about the event.... which in my mind at it's highest incarnation should be a completely free and self organizing event.
If infrastructure and porta-potties are an essentially needed thing, then the law of equality dictates that all tickets should be the same price for each human being.
We all gotta go, and nobody want's to step in poop.
I think everybody would be willing to pay for that.

The increasing tiered price of the past only ever created a public classing that added to urgency and frustration, and served none of the participants.
This system, like the new one, is ultimately fueled by simple greed.
One ticket, one price please.... especially now that there is the possibility of 'selling out'.
The concept of selling out the playa makes the head spin when looking at the endless expanse of flatness around the cluster of camps.
If there really is some kind of limit imposed by BLM then what about casual campers on other parts of the playa?
Would there be anything wrong with say a LOT of people just getting together for some fun that week without babysitters?

If the wealthier choose to subsidize their less fortunate friends then so be it... that is how it works the rest of the year in all the other situations.
Why try to reinvent it?

The fact that the relatively unchanging effigy laughingly called "The Man" stands in the middle of the playa every year is the most boring and lackluster pART of the event for me.
So much so, that I haven't bothered visiting it in years, and didn't even care to watch it burn last year. The conversation I was having at the temple was much more interesting.
The lowest point of this lame duck was the year it almost burned early... what a thrill that would have been... to see what happened the rest of the week!
But alas... fire hoses dutifully doused it, much to my surprise.
Then... I thought... this symbolically charred man will be remodeled by the citizens throughout the week to finally metamorphose into something else... something unpredictable and wonderfully spontaneous.
Wrong. Yet again... a clone made from a quick-cut template was brought out as a replacement for the requisite Saturday night ritual.
"Give the ticket buying people their rightful burn", seemed to be the attitude. Because that must be the climax they came for... it's the name of the event after all.
After reading about the BM trademark and lawsuit I just became all the more disillusioned as default world politics crept into our utopia.
No wonder it occupies the central position with all else circled around it in worship.
This unchanging, un-evolving, impotent 'man' stands as a corporate logotype reminder of the owners of the copyrighted event, while the art around it flourishes and changes.
IDEA: Let artists submit ideas for this central position to be within the theme and voted on by the public every year.
Call the event THAT! Whatever that is.
Better yet... just put a bunch of supplies out there and see what we do with them.

Personally I don't use the official name anymore. I can barely say it.
I prefer to call it "that event in the desert"... or if I must...simply 'the burn'.
But I wouldn't be surprised if soon fire was even outlawed, and digital projections of fire are used.

Perhaps it's simply evolved into the perfect event for the tourists who demand predictability.
Keep your hands inside the properly registered mutant vehicles at all times, and please do not feed the wild animals.
I bet the Bmorg insurance doesn't cover disappointment.

Now another ludicrous scheme has backfired.... and it's no surprise.
The gift economy is by far the most compelling concept of the event.
One wonders why this isn't the criteria all around.
Another trickle up model in play.

Make it better please.
Better yet...
Make it new again, before you all cash out, retire and become tourists.

I say it with love... for something that once represented the daring, fresh, unpredictable gift that it gave me.... once upon a time.
We are the 99.9%
Lord Yo

Re: MAKE IT BETTER - ALL TICKETS ONE PRICE! (a subjective ra

Postby lemur » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:38 am

Lord Yo wrote:(Continue reading with the knowledge that this is a very subjective rant, and professes no knowledge of the inherint complexities of running the show, and I have run lot's of shows)

Participants, friends, freaks, community... and Bmorg big business government (1%):

How can we change things this year?
... since everything will remain the same.

As a long time burner... I find the basic greed in the Bmorg the most discouraging thing about the event....

you lost me at greed...

moving along!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am

Yes, true greed would have all tickets priced at $450...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:25 am

Part of the reason they have a tier system is to estimate the attendance numbers in advance of the event.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion