Virgin Belgian Waffles!

Virgin Belgian Waffles!

Postby Kevinochi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:56 am

Fabulous Burners,

On Monday as I scooted in front of the television (trying to be rid myself of my usual weekend hangover) I was greeted with a broadcast introducing me to the fabulous lush creative world that is known as Burning Man. I was hooked INSTANTLY. As I jumped up and down in front of my television, I got a text from my friend saying "We HAVE to do Burning Man in Nevada!"

And since us Belgian Waffles are no pussies, we flipped off every naysayer in our environment and said to each other "it's on"

Ever since that broadcast I haven't been able to stop talking about Burning Man! I dream about driving our bikes in the dessert with all our new friends as we make it from one camp to the other. AND THE OUTFITS!!! Don't get me started on the crazy outfits we've been cooking up.. Participation is a must when going to Burning Man and we've been trying to figure out different ways of doing so but as of yet we don't have many ideas... So if anyone has any tips, we'd be extremely grateful :mrgreen:

So to make all of this happen I guess the first thing we have to do is get our sweaty paws on a pair of tickets. After that we book our flight and then comes the hardest part (giggle): prepping for our week of creative exploration!

We've been reading up for a couple of days now and as it would seem there are people who camp out. I think that's what we'll have to end up doing because us waffles don't drive. So renting a camper or RV will be pretty much out of the question.

So dear Burners; is it possible? Please say yes! Me and my friend we work best as a team. None of our friends will understand us so we don't want to include a third just for the sake of having a driver :( We want to be free and inhibited! :D

We are looking forward to meeting each and every single one of you for what will surely be the most amazing week of our lives!

Jonathan and Kevin
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Re: Virgin Belgian Waffles!

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:15 am

Welcome. You guys will love Burning Man. We have people in our camp from all over the world (for example, England, Czech Republic, the Netherlands, Australia, Brazil) and they seem to be just fine. Most of them become friends, or at least acquaintances, ahead of time with other burners and together they work out the logistics. You will meet people on this forum who likely will do the same for the two of you. It is a struggle (everyone will tell you, correctly, to read The Survival Guide), but it's worth it. Piece of advice: Burning Man is a noisy place, so bring earplugs. Enjoy the journey waffles.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 am

Hi Jonathan, Hi Kevin! Are you guys sure you have enough energy for Burning Man? I don't know . . . :twisted:

(Did you manage to get into the ticket registry before it closed? If not, there will be one more sale, and aftermarket resale).

Get in touch with other Belgian burners!
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_be.html

There is also a Burners from Belgium Facebook Group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7744054724

And check out the Survival Guide linked in my signature.

Basically, if you can fly as far as Reno with 1/2 your necessities and buy the rest in their very well-stocked stores, you can almost certainly get a rideshare from there. Or, you might join a theme camp (totally optional) and synch up your schedules so you fly in on the same day as a campmate. There are lots and lots of ways to Burn.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Mahuka » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am

Yahooooo more Belgian people! hurray!

And I'm amazed to see some other people saw the documentary (yes, i wound up here the same way, also with a friend :D ) and not only got struck by the idea of going there, but also had the balls to actually go for it!

It is not a very easy journey however. I've been trying to calculate the expenses a bit, and here too most people told us that we'd never manage to do it. I can see why they say so though; the tickets for the plane alone cost 1300 euros, then there's the ticket for BM (another 400 euros), the drive from Los Angeles to BM, and finally, all your stuff, most of which you'll have to buy in America since you can't take much on the plain. Oh, and insurance, too!

All roughly estimated, I came out on a 4000 euro for the whole trip, which is quite a crazy amount of money. But don't get discouraged! The more I read about BM, and the more I get to know about it, the more I realize that this event is worth every penny you'll ever spend on it.

So, yes, it's doable, and the fact that it's so hard adds even more (in my eyes at least) value to what BM is all about: Radical self-reliance!
Mahuka

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:53 pm

And of course, you can give seminars on living without a government, should you so choose.

(Although, bm has a government, but I"m not getting into that.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:10 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kevinochi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:25 pm

So many replies!

First of all, Savannah, don't you be worrying about us two having enough energy. We'll be doing cartwheels on our way out, that IS a promise :)

Sadly no we didn't make it in time to register for the January ticket sale. The broadcast was on tv on monday and it closed on sunday :(
BUT we don't dispair, us waffles don't back down easily :)
So we're stalking the main page for any information on the last round and we'll make damn sure two of those 10.000 tickets go to us! :°)

A camp sounds very interesting. Especially considering we're so fresh meat. International camp sounds very fun! We could provide translation services because the two of us combined speak 5 languages. 10 If we're drunk. And 1 when in love :)

We checked out the facebook page but it would seem Belgium was asleep for the past few months. So we'll take it on us to revive, pimp and kick start everything back into second gear!

Is there a page where all camps gather and discuss? We're excited to get into contact with future fellow burners and gather as many tips on making it safe and sound. We'd love to have a helping hand in building the most out of control friendliest spaced out jungle fever snake leather high heeled shoes hair tossing back snapping... camp... that black rock has ever seen :)

As far as participation goes... Does everybody know waffles come with cream?

All kidding aside, we're furiously looking for ways to participate so if anybody has any ideas; we'd be truely grateful!

So who'll be camping with us? :D
Kevinochi

Postby Kevinochi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 pm

Survival Guide: check

thanks Dr. Pyro!
Kevinochi

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:53 pm

Click on the words "Burning man" in the upper right hand corner of this page.

Then click on theam camps and you'll see the list of all the camps from last year.

Most will return, and they have contact info! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby jella » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:57 pm

There's always room for waffles ! Welcome aboard :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby CornMan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:59 pm

Do you guys have any good waffle irons in Belgium? I'm looking into buying one.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Kevinochi wrote:A camp sounds very interesting. Especially considering we're so fresh meat. International camp sounds very fun! We could provide translation services because the two of us combined speak 5 languages. 10 If we're drunk. And 1 when in love :)

You guys are so cute it's ridiculous. :D

We checked out the facebook page but it would seem Belgium was asleep for the past few months. So we'll take it on us to revive, pimp and kick start everything back into second gear!

There might be more activity in February, when the largest group starts hearing back about tickets.

Be ready to register for the next ticket group in March!

Is there a page where all camps gather and discuss? We're excited to get into contact with future fellow burners and gather as many tips on making it safe and sound. We'd love to have a helping hand in building the most out of control friendliest spaced out jungle fever snake leather high heeled shoes hair tossing back snapping... camp... that black rock has ever seen :)

There is no union of all camps, they are fairly independent and anyone can start one. Take Figjam's advice above, and also, check out our 2012 Theme Camps forum here where camps tend to post if they're recruiting:
viewforum.php?f=283

Traffic is a bit slow right now, but it will pick up. Camps usually don't message individuals, so if you see a camp you like, whose theme resonates with you, check their links and read up, and email them a nice bit about yourself (sort of like what you did with your first post) and emphasize any useful skills, what you like about them, & what you have to offer.

In addition to theme camps, which usually require a fee and/or some work in exchange for meals or other comforts, there are camps that are more like villages: Orphan Camp, Endorphan Camp, Stag Camp. These emphasize social togetherness and personal independence, and while the residents often share things when they want to, they have no theme, no fee, and are less fancy than a theme camp.

No matter where you camp you will probably have neighbors, even if you are so-called "alone".
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby JDCookMS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey Kevinochi,

Sorry I'm late. But, welcome to eplaya! I'm really glad to hear that y'all will be coming out to the playa. :D But, I definitely understand about your naysayer friends... but, just keep working at it and I know that y'all will get to the playa. Just think about the look on their faces when you show them, A. that you're actually going and B. the pictures that y'all took while there!

Anyways, have a good one and I'll see y'all out on the playa!
JDCookMS

Postby Kevinochi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Thank you Savannah and all the other burners for all your great tips and taking the time to help us on our way to our very first amaze-balls Burn!

We'll be checking into the camps and are very pleased to report Dr. Pyro has already directed our noses into the right direction and given us GREAT tips on how to make ourselves useful in participating!

We've even been suggested to make pancakes for our fellow burners! But... let's get real:

It sucks we missed registration for January with one day! But we're hopefull, cheerfull and completely dedicated to making this happen. We'll be checking in daily with the rest of you Burners! Thanks for all the great feedback!

All our love!

Jonathan and Kevin
Kevinochi

Postby Kevinochi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:Do you guys have any good waffle irons in Belgium? I'm looking into buying one.

Don't you know? All waffles in Belgium are made with our grandma's thunder thighs!
Kevinochi

Postby Dimitri » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 am

Hi Kevinochi, fellow Belgian Burner virgin here! Fortunatly I started prepping in september so I'm registered for a ticket, I hope you can get a hold of some tickets in the open sale!
Dimitri

Postby Kevinochi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:36 pm

Dimitri wrote:Hi Kevinochi, fellow Belgian Burner virgin here! Fortunatly I started prepping in september so I'm registered for a ticket, I hope you can get a hold of some tickets in the open sale!

Hooray a fellow waffle!!!

*waffle dance*

I'm glad you were able to register! Hopefully you'll be getting good news soon in the form of your Visa getting effed in the shniz :lol:
Me and my friend are actually pretty nervous about getting hold of a ticket on the 28th of March... Hopefully everything will turn out ok...

So are you flying into Reno? What's your game plan?
Kevinochi

Postby alt12 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Kevinochi wrote:
Dimitri wrote:Hi Kevinochi, fellow Belgian Burner virgin here! Fortunatly I started prepping in september so I'm registered for a ticket, I hope you can get a hold of some tickets in the open sale!

Hooray a fellow waffle!!!

*waffle dance*

I'm glad you were able to register! Hopefully you'll be getting good news soon in the form of your Visa getting effed in the shniz :lol:
Me and my friend are actually pretty nervous about getting hold of a ticket on the 28th of March... Hopefully everything will turn out ok...

So are you flying into Reno? What's your game plan?

Good luck getting tickets guys! Did you know that in 2006 an army of over 100 belgians came with busload of money and built what may be one of burning man's most memorable art installations..... The piece was colloquially known as the belgain waffle. Still one of my favorite all-time art pieces....

alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby Kevinochi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:38 am

Sadly I didn't get the memo when Belgium invaded the Playa :cry:

But that construction is amazing. I found some videos on youtube displaying the construction and the parties that went down there. Amazing.

Can't wait to stand there on the Playa myself :)
Kevinochi

Postby Shevarash » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:50 am

Hello waffles, another Belgian virgin waffle here too :D
Just like you i knew I HAD TO GO when i saw the documentary (not the one on Eén, but the one of 3 op Reis... if you havent seen it yet, here's a compilation: http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1136337). We planned to go last year, but due to a lot of complications (mostly friends cancelling) i didnt have the courage to go alone on short notice... Not this year though! I'm going, and im going alone ... dont feel like dragging someone along just because it adds a tiny bit of a feeling of security...i'm ready to submerge in the playa !
I've been brainstorming with myself on projects, costumes, practical stuff; didnt score a ticket in the lottery though (if there would have a been a prize for "most refreshed email in one night", i definitely would have won! ;)), which makes the practical part a tad more complicated.
Btw, when i checked last week tickets from Brussels to Reno where still available around 750 Euros (with the ominous message: "only 5 tickets left at this price" :S)
Great to see some fellow Belgians here, fingers crossed on scoring those tickets!!
Shevarash

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:26 am

Shevs wrote: Not this year though! I'm going, and im going alone ... dont feel like dragging someone along just because it adds a tiny bit of a feeling of security...i'm ready to submerge in the playa !

You're doing it right.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Shevarash » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks Cryptofishisht, i figured spending the week with someone who's not 100% up for it isnt the best idea, plus i can't imagine feeling 'alone' for long overthere. :D Leaving on my own adds a bit of extra nervousness/excitement though...

Dear Belgies, what are your plans for the bikes? Chucking one up the plane? The last time i did that it came off a bit wrecked, to put it with an understatement...
Shevarash

Postby Kevinochi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 am

Shevs wrote:Hello waffles, another Belgian virgin waffle here too :D
Just like you i knew I HAD TO GO when i saw the documentary (not the one on Eén, but the one of 3 op Reis... if you havent seen it yet, here's a compilation: http://www.uitzendinggemist.nl/afleveringen/1136337). We planned to go last year, but due to a lot of complications (mostly friends cancelling) i didnt have the courage to go alone on short notice... Not this year though! I'm going, and im going alone ... dont feel like dragging someone along just because it adds a tiny bit of a feeling of security...i'm ready to submerge in the playa !
I've been brainstorming with myself on projects, costumes, practical stuff; didnt score a ticket in the lottery though (if there would have a been a prize for "most refreshed email in one night", i definitely would have won! ;)), which makes the practical part a tad more complicated.
Btw, when i checked last week tickets from Brussels to Reno where still available around 750 Euros (with the ominous message: "only 5 tickets left at this price" :S)
Great to see some fellow Belgians here, fingers crossed on scoring those tickets!!

Hello Shevs!!! Absolutely great attitude!!! I know the whole ticket sale ordeal is a little discouraging, but with the open sale coming up there's still a good shot we'll be meeting up under a full moon on the Playa :)
Don't worry about your friends not joining you, you'll be making 50.000 new ones.

As far as the airfares go, the minute we secure our ticket we'll be all over the airlines trying to get a good flight. We'll pm you if we find something interesting. Waffles unite!
Kevinochi

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:00 am

(Note for Americans: 50.000 continental european = 50,000 american.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby bluberryln » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:31 am

You are awesome. I love this post. Good luck Belgian Waffles! See you there!
bluberryln

Postby Shevarash » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:22 pm

Hehe Crypto, i always get confused on dots versus comma's!
You guys are just radiating good vibers off my screen, I really hope we'll meet overthere! Or no, i'm sure we'll meet overthere! (positive jinxing sort of thing ;)).
Just cant wait 'til its august! Meantime I keep having these wacko BM dreams... (last night fe.i was doing a handstand in the desert on the head of one of the avatars floating around here :? ) If i find a good airfare deal i'll definitly keep you posted as well! Waffles unite indeedos! :D
Shevarash

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:46 pm

I love this thread!!!

Hello you all Waffles :D I am very happy to see such positive and energetic entities here.
If you even need some tips and trick from fellow European, you are welcome to ask me :)

Hope to meet you on Playa!!!

Misa

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Shevs wrote:Hehe Crypto, i always get confused on dots versus comma's!

Yeah, in my case it's the slight tinge of german in my education. You'll see I'm haphazard with capitol letters. But that 50 instead of 50,000 is always a bit of a shock.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Kevinochi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:52 pm

MisaBlue wrote:I love this thread!!!

Hello you all Waffles :D I am very happy to see such positive and energetic entities here.
If you even need some tips and trick from fellow European, you are welcome to ask me :)

Hope to meet you on Playa!!!

Misa

Awe and this thread loves you!

It wants to take you out for dinner and call you the next day...
Make you waffles for breakfast and swoop you away...
Off to the Playa with ease and great care...
Where the sun w... wait... I'm totally BS'ing because there's nothing easy about getting to the Playa :lol:

The whole ticket madness has been spinning a wee tad out of control. We're lucky we have some amazing people we met here who have been so kind to guide us to our very first burn. Still a long way ahead of us though :wink:
Kevinochi

Postby Ninzy » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:10 pm

Welcome to all u Waffles, damn you guys totally rock and i'm loving this thread. Such a breath of fresh air from the doom and gloom.

Read all the guides, talk to people who have made the journey too - camps are good - Doc was simply too awesome last year helping me and a few other Burgins doing it alone all the way from Blighty.

see u in the dust Waffles
Ur just jealous cos the Voices are talking to ME!
Ninzy

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!