Did you win tickets for less than your Max bid?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Did you get a ticket lower than your max bid?

I bid for one (or two) tickets at 390 and got my request filled at 390.
26%
I bid for one (or two) tickets at 390 and got my request filled at 320.
No votes
I bid for one (or two) tickets at 390 and got my request filled at 240.
1%
I bid for tickets at 390 and did not win.
23%
I bid for one (or two) tickets at 320 and got my request filled at 320.
18%
I bid for one (or two) tickets at 320 and got my request filled at 240.
No votes
I bid for ticket(s) at 320 and did not win.
11%
I bid for one (or two) tickets at 240 and got my request filled at 240.
8%
I bid for ticket(s) at 240 and did not win.
15%

Total votes : 200

Re: Did you win tickets for less than your Max bid?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:57 am

FIGJAM wrote:One of the "rangers" in our area (team lead) did'nt get a ticket even though he's a veteran burner and been a ranger for years.

This confused me cause I thought volenteers for infrastructure got free tickets.

What am I missing? :?

For the most part, volunteers get a discounted ticket the year after they work enough shifts. Some choose to forgo this.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:02 am

I think I'm just sufering from thread contamination.

My concern was not enough key people to take care of the dangerously unprepared masses that these threads seem to indecate will be there this year.

I gotta escape these threads for my own piece of mine!

(There's only a small piece left.) :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby magdelyn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Just for the record:

I bid for 1 ticket at $240 and got none tickets.

: )
You've been designated for termination.
magdelyn

Postby 666isMONEY » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:48 pm

i won my ticket at the highest ($390) and also donated $20 to BRAF . . . wonder if the donation helped?
666isMONEY

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Postby Colonel Monk » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:00 am

FIGJAM wrote:One of the "rangers" in our area (team lead) did'nt get a ticket even though he's a veteran burner and been a ranger for years.

This confused me cause I thought volenteers for infrastructure got free tickets.

What am I missing? :?

I realize this is late......

Right, you have to work a minimum number of shifts/hours the year before you're offered a discounted ticket. I believe it used to be different, but due to some people welching on the deal they had to make you "pre-work" for your ticket.

I have close friends that are full-time volunteers - meaning, that they regularly attend meetings in person and via telephone EACH week, have to attend other events, run yearly trainings, spend 4 weeks on the playa, that kind of thing. Basically, for all this effort their ONLY pay is a ticket, but you gotta work really hard for that. Definitely, it seems, roughly the cost of 50x the cost of a ticket in default dollars.

But they love their jobs, and some HARDER during the week at the event then their default jobs. It's pretty awe-inspiring to tell you the truth.

As for your friend not having a ticket - yeah I don't know how that worked out - I'd have assumed that those volunteers that earned a discount ticket would automatically have one reserved, but as this is a touchy subject this year I have not asked any details.

Bottom Line - any assumption that a volunteer - moderator, ranger, EMS, etc etc has a ticket has a good chance of being wrong.

Lastly - I totally screwed up with the lottery - in years past, even if you were in the cue early, you could still choose to buy a ticket at a higher tier. During this time, and me always working, I usually put in at the 2nd or 3rd tier level to leave the cheap tix for those that don't have a good job. The last 3 years of FCFS I couldn't babysit my computer enough to get a ticket at any tier but the third tier.

I did not know, that this year when I put in for a $240 ticket (I'm jobless) that it would really damage my chances. I assumed that out of 10,000 $240 tickets, that I would be in a separate pool in the lotto for those who wanted $240 tickets. I did understand that this tier might be a little tight, but now I'm hearing that people who opted to pay a larger price, not only got to be in competition with their tier such as $390, but could also win a ticket at a lower tier?

Now that is really not fair. For jeebus sake I thought the whole point of the low price tiers was for those that can't afford the higher tier!!

Anyone know where the official explanation lies on how the ticket lotto was supposed to work?
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby Ratty » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:18 am

My husband put in for a $240 ticket and got stiffed.

I know of several people that get free tickets. Believe me, it's not much of a consolation. The retail outlets that have been selling tickets forever and now can't. They have always and will continue to receive gift tickets. And some of the long-standing businesses that have been servicing the BM org till this year. They were also dumped and told "we'll still give you tickets". Imagine your job going down the shitter and they hand you a couple of tickets to make up for it.

Some of these businesses won't recover from losing a big chunk of their livelyhood. I guess this is one of those heartless non-profits.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG
Ratty

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Sporks are For Pussys

Postby bradtem » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:15 am

Of course the BMOrg knows very precisely the success rate at each level, while this is a self-selected poll without scientific value.

But it is curious that it shows (at present) the following success rates:

$240 tier: 33%
$320 tier: 62%
$390 tier: 52%

This does not jibe with the other surveys suggesting that theme camps only got about a third of what they asked for on average. Unless the camps almost universally tried to enter at $240 tier. We were told 80,000 people asked for 1.7 tickets each on average.

Could it be that a really large proportion of the population tried for $240 tier, and that those who bid more money had more like a 50% rate? Could it be that too many people went all or nothing on $240, being either poor or greedy, hoping to fix it in the secondary sale? In the past, I think a lot of people tried for the low price tickets even though they were willing to pay more. It's human nature -- the exact same ticket for less or more, depending on when you buy it -- most people would rather pay less, only a few have the sense of deliberately paying more to make room for others to pay less. Perhaps this extended into the lottery. People didn't realize that what they were saying is, "Give me a shot at $240. I can't afford more, so if I have to pay $320 or $390, I would prefer not to go." That's what you were saying with a $240 entry -- did you realize that?
See giant panoramas of BRC: http://www.templetons.com/brad/burn
bradtem

Burning Since: 1998

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion