Flat Art

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Flat Art

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:32 am

Hi all,
I need some suggestions and a point in the right direction.
I’m from Australia so I can’t build an art project (of any great size) at home and bring it with me. I’m not even artistic - but hey all this talk of there not being any art this year made me think “stuff it, I’ll give it a go”.

Anyway what I would like to do is to bring together some themed (I’ll get to that in a minute) pictures/posters/slogans and display them.

The theme would be something along the lines of “perspective”. Bugger Fertility - although I’m sure i could make a link somehow

Perspective about fortunate we are to even have this chance to attend TTITD.

Perspective about things we could and should “overreact” (or even react) like South Sudan, Justin Beiber, Simon Cowell, the Taliban.

Perspective about the people who fight in wars in other deserts.

But also some bloody laughs (aside from Justin Beiber) about how we, as a community, have different perspectives of each other.

But maybe that’s all a bit too radically inclusive or the like.

Anyway, anyone got any good ideas for me (max weight of material must be under be 10kgs)
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Flat Art

Postby ygmir » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:51 am

melaniejane wrote:Hi all,
*snipped*

The theme would be something along the lines of “perspective”. Bugger Fertility - although I’m sure i could make a link somehow

Perspective about fortunate we are to even have this chance to attend TTITD.

Perspective about things we could and should “overreact” (or even react) like South Sudan, Justin Beiber, Simon Cowell, the Taliban.

Perspective about the people who fight in wars in other deserts.

But also some bloody laughs (aside from Justin Beiber) about how we, as a community, have different perspectives of each other.

But maybe that’s all a bit too radically inclusive or the like.

Anyway, anyone got any good ideas for me (max weight of material must be under be 10kgs)

this, is why it's clear to me, why you can post in Fishy "smart" thread, and I can't.

"Bugger Fertility"........how contradictory, and with your juxtapositioning, perfect!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby 5280MeV » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:19 am

melaniejane wrote:Anyway, anyone got any good ideas for me (max weight of material must be under be 10kgs)

What I learned last year is that the max weight of the components that you take on the plane must be under 10 kgs.

My strategy this year is to minimize what actually goes on the plane and build as much as I can from materials picked up in Reno, and then to try to properly dispose of the excess materials in Reno. I am also looking into shipping stuff to friends who have extra space in their trailers.

So I am working on test building things at home, seeing how hard it is to destroy them, rebuilding them tougher, and then hopefully I will be able to rebuild a third time on the playa and they won't fall apart.
5280MeV

Postby Elorrum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 am

interesting mel. could be an optics set up more than an object one. lenses, reflective surfaces, mylar is light. banners or collaged panels that you can mount to plywood or cardboard when you get here.
Vada a bordo, cazzo!
"I'm not a madame. I'm a concierge."
Elorrum

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:41 am

Mel, perhaps you could coordinate somehow with AnitM and have it as a sub-genre of The Home For Wayward Art. Or something. Just trying to help.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:08 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Mel, perhaps you could coordinate somehow with AnitM and have it as a sub-genre of The Home For Wayward Art. Or something. Just trying to help.

Yes I'll certainly discuss with her. My art is definitely "wayward" - finding it a home may be difficult!
International Incident

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:10 pm

Elorrum wrote:interesting mel. could be an optics set up more than an object one. lenses, reflective surfaces, mylar is light. banners or collaged panels that you can mount to plywood or cardboard when you get here.

Lenses. Yes. Brilliant. Thank-you!
International Incident

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:49 pm

you could post some of it to collect in washington or vegas later?
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Bob » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:53 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby chiefdanfox » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Awesome idea, Bob. Put it on skids with one corner pinned to the ground, so folks can turn it and make their slide.
chiefdanfox

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:41 pm

If you brought paper and glued it to plywood when you got here...
Maybe, if you could find a local to collaborate with, he or she could cut the plywood to size for you, so it's ready to go. You'd have to cut it anyway, it's liable to become a sail otherwise. Or, so I understand. Misa might tell you how they brought that exhibition to London (if it's not too painful to talk about) last year...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks gang.
I’m thinking through some options.
Lenses, portioned art that you can put into different arrangements, printed stuff, ooh the possibilities...

Or I might just bring a giant kangaroo and stuff it.
International Incident

Postby jella » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:14 pm

I vote for both :).
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:18 pm

So is this giant kangaroo rat a marsupial or is it placental?

Maybe you could find some giant kangaroo road kill and let it sit in the sun for a few months and bring that. It would be flat...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby International Incident » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:24 pm

He he fishy.

I think both quarantine agencies in the USA and aust might not like me bringing road kill.

Although that's a great idea. Fake road kill and fake maggots (as fertility) and fake crows, and fake tassie devil eating the road kill roo. Fuck that is awesome.

A giant roo might also end up a*rse f*ucking a Barbie tho. Would that work for you jella
International Incident

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 am

Our art does overlap, but mine goes to homes quickly and unpredictably. We could surely work something out if you like. If nothing else, I may be able to haul home what you cannot, and work it up into something different for 2013.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jella » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:56 pm

melaniejane wrote:He he fishy.

I think both quarantine agencies in the USA and aust might not like me bringing road kill.

Although that's a great idea. Fake road kill and fake maggots (as fertility) and fake crows, and fake tassie devil eating the road kill roo. Fuck that is awesome.

A giant roo might also end up a*rse f*ucking a Barbie tho. Would that work for you jella
Only if he promises to call her in the morning
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby International Incident » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:22 pm

jella wrote:
melaniejane wrote:

Oh yeah he'll be calling. He owns that biatch now.

(Insert mental image of Roo as a pimp here)
International Incident

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:11 pm

melaniejane wrote:
jella wrote:
melaniejane wrote:

Oh yeah he'll be calling. He owns that biatch now.

(Insert mental image of Roo as a pimp here)

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby International Incident » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Thanks Yggy,
That Roo looks far too happy to be a part of the art project I'm thinking about...
He's gonna be one messed up, f**ked up, dusty f**ker
I aim to make small children have nightmares upon seeing him (or at least point and laugh)
International Incident

Postby Peper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:39 pm

melaniejane wrote:Anyway what I would like to do is to bring together some themed (I’ll get to that in a minute) pictures/posters/slogans and display them.

Here's an idea that isn't too heavy and pretty straight forward. Make little blackboard necklaces with engraved titles on top like "I am fortunate to.." "I am glad I.." etc. and have a little chalk in a string attached to it :)
Peper

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Something like this might be worked into a small scale design with big results.

Last time I was cruising around Utah (23 years ago) we were driving around and saw a sign next to a pipe that said "Dinosaur Footprint". So we got out and finally figured out that if you looked through the pipe it was pointed at a footprint way up on the cliff.

I'm thinking one board with all your messages / art on it but unobtrusively (sort of camoflaged by a larger design) unless you looked through preaimed pipes which would make the messages apparent. Or split each message / art onto staggered boards which would then only be apparent when viewed through the correct pipe.

The pipes could be picked up at any Home Despot and could be something light like pvc. Regardless of the actual project design, you will probably have to bring just images and buy / cut the backing once here.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Peper » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Something like this might be worked into a small scale design with big results.

Last time I was cruising around Utah (23 years ago) we were driving around and saw a sign next to a pipe that said "Dinosaur Footprint". So we got out and finally figured out that if you looked through the pipe it was pointed at a footprint way up on the cliff.

I'm thinking one board with all your messages / art on it but unobtrusively (sort of camoflaged by a larger design) unless you looked through preaimed pipes which would make the messages apparent. Or split each message / art onto staggered boards which would then only be apparent when viewed through the correct pipe.

The pipes could be picked up at any Home Despot and could be something light like pvc. Regardless of the actual project design, you will probably have to bring just images and buy / cut the backing once here.

Really good idea! "The eye of the photographer"
Peper

Postby International Incident » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Something like this might be worked into a small scale design with big results.

Thank you!

OK. I'm going to give this some thought. I may have some questions for you... But yes this would work.

loving the help gang
International Incident

Return to 2012 Art & Performance