Hello! Canadian Virgin/Possible Eldritch Horror

Hello! Canadian Virgin/Possible Eldritch Horror

Postby cthulhu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 pm

Originally this was posted on the massive intro thread, but seeing as that it is not garnering me the attenshun I desire, I will follow suit

Hello all!

I am going to be a birgin; still trying to wrangle who I will be going with, where I will volunteer, what I should participate in (So many theme camps!!) how I will get there (Plane tickets, so expensive!) but am really excited in addition to being really nervous.

I always thought of myself as too WASPy to go to Burning Man, although I had interest in it, particularly the gift economy structure, which is fascinating from both an academic and an emotional standpoint! I can't wait to experience it and to try (and most likely fail) to give freely of/from myself 100% of the time, all day and night, for at least a week.

But I am rather uptight, I thought. Annoying amounts of nudity, people out of their minds on substances, and my strict personal boundaries do not mix. BUT

< rambly story >

I did some travelling for two weeks last year on the West Coast with two people I didn't know very well, and of course that made me very nervous too. We were driving from Vancouver down to San Fran, with a big detour to Yellowstone.

I think it was somewhere around Salt Lake City that I realized, I don't actually have to plan ahead right now or worry about any particular thing. We have the car, we have our supplies, we have our wits about us, and we had no place in particular to be. What a different way to operate!

Cue a half-hour later...driving onto the salt flats, as per the guidebook's recommendation...but little did we know, it had rained the previous week! We drove straight into the mud.

However, even waiting for AAA on a 100F+ day in August, I had a fantastic time and felt a sense of openness/relaxation. Chilling by the car using a light blanket for shade, we even met a man who told us about his adventures interacting with wild bears! He helped us try to dig out our tires with our hands, haha. :D

By the time we were un-mired, I thought "That wasn't so bad...multiply it by several thousand feet of elevation and several days...yeah, I could survive Burning Man." :)

< /rambly story >

I can't say I expect BM to be stress-free, but I will have my wits about me, my supplies, no particular place to be, and 50thou+ others around me looking to have a fantastic time as well!
cthulhu

Re: Hello! Canadian Virgin/Possible Eldritch Horror

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Shedding your WASP self is so damn liberating.

(I sort of don't understand why the "1%" can put up with that Brooks Brothers world. But I'm just a Fish...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:40 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby cthulhu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Shedding your WASP self is so damn liberating.

Yes! I can only envision. Perhaps this year, thanks to the bee morgue, I will be a wasp no more, if maybe only for a week.

theCryptofishist wrote:(I sort of don't understand why the "1%" can put up with that Brooks Brothers world. But I'm just a Fish...)

They seem to be barely able to stand it at all much of the time; it is just too, too hard to get a reservation at Dorsia.
cthulhu

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:39 am

Hey there and welcome to the crazy times! Read the survival guide, then read it again, then go get a beer, then read the survival guide. Have fun!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 am

We can always use another gibbering phantasm from beyond the outer void. Welcome!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Eldritch Sandwich » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm not a horror but I am Eldritch, is this an appropriate place for me to say hello too? I'm from Newfoundland, but I live in Toronto, and this will be my first burning man too after making excuses not to go for years. Don't have a ticket yet but I'm confident that at some point over the next few months I will find my way to one. I'm very excited, everyone seems so friendly and helpful in this community!
Eldritch Sandwich

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Welcome Mr. Sandwich, yes we can be friendly and helpful, and we can be quite nutso too :wink: Jump on in, lots and lots of advice to be pondered. First, go read the Survival Guide.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby cthulhu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Eldritch Sandwich wrote:I'm not a horror but I am Eldritch, is this an appropriate place for me to say hello too?

Heylo, Sandwich! I am not from TO originally either (I am a 'Murrican from outside PGH) but I love it here. Do you do stuff with the local community? I keep checking burnon.ca for events but am seeing jack-all...
cthulhu

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:31 pm

Sometimes the local/regional groups are filled with the lamest people... yikes.

Here's a hint: put your exact location in your profile, so it shows by your posts (well not street but town at least).

Mooch around this board participating in the various forums. Look under people's avatars to see where they are living.

POOF you will find a neighbor you can sperg with about Burning Man... 8) 8) 8)

Worked for me!!!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Savannah » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:34 pm

cthulhu wrote:Originally this was posted on the massive intro thread, but seeing as that it is not garnering me the attenshun I desire, I will follow suit

HI CTHULHU! :mrgreen:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eldritch Sandwich » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:37 pm

cthulhu wrote:Heylo, Sandwich! I am not from TO originally either (I am a 'Murrican from outside PGH) but I love it here. Do you do stuff with the local community? I keep checking burnon.ca for events but am seeing jack-all...

I just went to the Town Hall meeting last night in Toronto for our regional group, it sounds like there's a bit of stuff coming up to help out with but nothing really solid just yet. You should get in touch with the regional group to find out more about what's going on, toronto@burningman.com. I think the next town hall is at the beginning of March.
Eldritch Sandwich

Postby cthulhu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:58 pm

HI CTHULHU! :mrgreen:[/quote]

yessssss sweet attention, it is the first step to praise and affection /emotionwhore
cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:01 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Sometimes the local/regional groups are filled with the lamest people... yikes.

I know a few people in TO that go, just I know them sort of thirdhand. They have said other people in the regional are cool?! Fingers crossed.
cthulhu

Postby cthulhu » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:03 pm

Eldritch Sandwich wrote: I think the next town hall is at the beginning of March.

Holy Bob, that seems soon! I am nervous already thinking of it, but will def. e-mail the address. And maybe go, if I can revert to hiding in the back quietly, urgh...thank you though!
cthulhu

Postby Wienerschnitzel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:35 pm

Verily, I am glad to be the first who says it:

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Welcome back from the dream of the Elder Days. Hope to see you on the playa! :)
I miss my raptor.

"Premium Unbreaded"
Wienerschnitzel

Postby dangerous » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 pm

to my fellow Torontonians..g'day eh! i may have to pack my Leafs jersey :) oh and HI CTHULHU!

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby marcgorcey » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

Hey all... just found this thread.

There is a burner community of a few hundred in Toronto and we run a regional (Mooseman) as well as a decomp and a few other events through the year.

Join the BurnT facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/94278462150/

and check BurnON.ca for announcements from time to time.
marcgorcey

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:48 am

Is there some sort of Eldritch Underground I'm not aware of?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:44 pm

If we told you, we'd have to lock you in the same room as a horror that will have you gibbering in 30 seconds...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Eldritch Sandwich » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Being Eldritch has its advantages, but it comes with the cost of being an unfathomable horror. It's not so good for the ladies :(
Eldritch Sandwich

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:47 pm

Eldritch Sandwich wrote:Being Eldritch has its advantages, but it comes with the cost of being an unfathomable horror. It's not so good for the ladies :(

Yeah, well, since there's still a sizable number of american men hung up on the whole vagina dentata thing, it's not much harder than simply being a woman...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby dangerous » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:03 pm

marcgorcey wrote:Hey all... just found this thread.
There is a burner community of a few hundred in Toronto and we run a regional (Mooseman) as well as a decomp and a few other events through the year.

i don't use FB. i know, i know inconceiveable! i joined the yahoo group a couple of years back, but haven't made it out to an event yet.
are many from the group making the trip?

sage_

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Postby marcgorcey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm

sage_ wrote:

i don't use FB. i know, i know inconceiveable! i joined the yahoo group a couple of years back, but haven't made it out to an event yet.

sage_

Well, there's this whole ticket thing but yes, we usually have a good contingent of Leafs burners....

There's drinks night tonight at The Caledonian - college/ossington - from 630 to later if you'd like to come out and say 'hi' !
marcgorcey

Postby dangerous » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 am

marcgorcey wrote:
sage_ wrote:
check BurnON.ca for announcements from time to time.

sage_

Well, there's this whole ticket thing but yes, we usually have a good contingent of Leafs burners....
There's drinks night tonight at The Caledonian - college/ossington - from 630 to later if you'd like to come out and say 'hi' !

ya, heard about that ticket thing i think ;) is "drinks night" a reoccurring event? i registered at BurnOn.ca but have not heard back yet.

cheers!

Chardin
dangerous

Return to Introduce Yourself!