elitism and its impact on available tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Survey.... Lets see what the real numbers are

Postby gibson_ » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:41 am

Don't place _too_ much faith in this survey, guys. It appears that you can enter as many times as you want. I'd bet that given a few minutes I could write a bot to stuff it with false data.
gibson_

Re: elitism and its impact on available tickets

Postby The CO » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 am

usurpedus wrote:you want their names? why?

No, I just want to know more about what you are saying. As AntiM said, there are a number of tickets that go out late from the org for staffing purposes.

I'm asking, do you actually know someone that got a ticket from the LLC after they had sold out? Was it someone getting a ticket of the nature mentioned above? Or is this some you heard about 3rd-4th hand?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby arthur5005 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 am

gibson_ wrote:Don't place _too_ much faith in this survey, guys. It appears that you can enter as many times as you want. I'd bet that given a few minutes I could write a bot to stuff it with false data.

There's no real reason to believe a bot has flooded the results. They're not out of whack with what most people are reporting.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
arthur5005

Postby kittyrodriguez » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:23 am

While I cannot join the argument about the validity of the sample (as I am statistically and mathematically challenged) I was interested in one point...

It appears to me that many people on eplaya feel that a large portion of the tickets awarded went to "burgins," and that long time burners and theme camps were cheated.

At the time that I viewed the survey there were 3939 responses. Of those who responded 2,935 had previously gone to Burning Man.

Of the awarded tickets, 999 went to return burners, so 34% of returning burners won tickets . 166 went to burgins, 38% of first timers won tickets. That seems pretty even.

Perhaps my analysis is off, but I think the reason it seems like so many return burners did not win tickets, is that they were the largest segment of applicants. There are just so many more of them to have not received tickets, and to be vocal about it.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby Cap'nTrevor » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:58 am

It's worth noting that the 1.7 average tickets requested per person is based on the assumption that no one can order more than 2 tickets, however, I've seen a lot of people who say things like "My wife and I ordered two each" or "I borrowed my aunt & uncle's credit cards and entered for six." So clearly more than a few people are ordering more than that.

I made the following spreadsheet to show how things could easily get messed up with only a small percentage of people really gaming the system.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kxxcExEZ2c

and then I revised it to try and match a couple data points:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... UR3SmZla0E
Cap'nTrevor

Postby arthur5005 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Cap'nTrevor wrote:It's worth noting that the 1.7 average tickets requested per person is based on the assumption that no one can order more than 2 tickets, however, I've seen a lot of people who say things like "My wife and I ordered two each" or "I borrowed my aunt & uncle's credit cards and entered for six." So clearly more than a few people are ordering more than that.

I made the following spreadsheet to show how things could easily get messed up with only a small percentage of people really gaming the system.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... kxxcExEZ2c

and then I revised it to try and match a couple data points:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... UR3SmZla0E

Your spreadsheet is based on the assumption that only 50,000 burners want to go. By the way, how are you getting the distribution of tickets requested for per applicant from?
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
arthur5005

Postby Trishntek » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:17 pm

The 1.7 tickets per applicant was the number distributed by JRS prior to the drawing. That certainly does not translate to 1.7 tickets DISTRIBUTED per person. But there is no way of knowing those figures. The survey does not allow for an individual to say how many tickets he or she may have succeeded in acquiring; therefore, the survey is severely flawed.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby arthur5005 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Trishntek wrote:... The survey does not allow for an individual to say how many tickets he or she may have succeeded in acquiring; therefore, the survey is severely flawed.

That's a good point. I can certainly say that I answered only for myself even though I asked for 2 tickets. My girlfriend, who got a ticket through me, didn't partake in the survey, and I'm not sure how she should have answered. Because my submission for 2 tickets was her proxy, I'm almost certain she would have answered as having entered into the lottery and having gotten one, and I believe that is the case for most people who were proxies, but that does throw a serious wrench into to the survey. It should be made clearer.
arthur5005

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Why was the title of my thread changed? I did not put that.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:31 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Why was the title of my thread changed? I did not put that.

Yeah, I don't get where the "elitism" thing comes from, in this discussion, at all. :?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Igneouss » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:03 am

In economics perception is often reality. In our case the perception of a shortage has caused people to act like there IS a shortage. Reality is not relevant in this case. Perception is in the driver's seat. The Org is screwed and fighting a deparate rear-guard action.

Bummer.

Profit estimate for this year $1.5M

Good work if you can get it.
Basic b/e analysis:
2005 $243K
06 $855K
07 $1.0M
08 $1.1M
09 $0
10 $1.1M
11 $1.2M
12 $1.2M
That’s $6.8M that thousands of volunteers deserve to know about. Capitalism is alive at BM. Tickets are the commodity. Others have estimated higher profits.
Igneouss

Postby moltensteelman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:15 am

[quote="lemur"]last i saw it there were 1,200,000 hits on that Suess video

if only 3% of the people who saw it decided to go to burning man..

that could easily account for what appears, from the various anecdotes, to be the missing 65% of tickets available.[/quote]

Burners account for a lot of veiws on burning man related videos, Last year one of the you tube videos of The Walking Beast from 2007 gained over 500,000 hits during the last 4 days of Burning man ( the one year I did not go to the playa) mostly from mobile phones. Before and after the event it has had less than 100 hits per day. I doubt the majority of the hits where from new people that haven't attended burning man, but I could be wrong.
moltensteelman

Postby lemur » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:57 am

ok lets say 200,000 individuals viewed it who never heard of burning man and 10% of those people wanted to go to burning man after seeing it...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:57 am

MyDearFriend wrote:

Yeah, I don't get where the "elitism" thing comes from, in this discussion, at all. :?

....and still nothing. I would really like to know why my thread title was changed. I don't use big words like this at all. Im stupid.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Eric » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:22 am

tattoogoddess wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:

....and still nothing. I would really like to know why my thread title was changed. I don't use big words like this at all. Im stupid.

It looks like two threads were merged. The title of the "destination" thread becomes the new title. Your thread was the one merged into another one so it took the other threads title, but you actually posted before the OP of that thread so your post appears first. The OP for the "elitism" thread is now the second post. Hows that for confusing?
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion