Ticket Guilt?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Ticket Guilt?

Postby WaterColor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 am

Yes, I have my ticket. I paid 390 for it, price was never an issue to me because even if it was more, it still would have been one of my lowest expenses. Hell, right now I am in South Korea, I am not even sure what country I will be in before the burn...I just know I am going. I cant truly revel in my ticket though. I didn't get it through radical self reliance...It was chance. My last first ticket was chance too (I am not an old timer), I said I was thinking about it and someone smiled and said I got an extra ticket for sale so do it...so i did...and I will never be the same...but no one ever said anything to make me feel unworthy of my ticket...it never crossed my mind that someone else deserved it more...I mean I purchased it but it was a only by chance that I was able too. Now this lottery makes chance, which is something I usually kinda enjoy, feel like a dirty word. Does anybody else feel this way? Just curious.

Its causing this huge rift in our communitty and we have to stop it now. Chance did not make the burning man world, the people of our city did, and their should be enough of us to band together and fix this nonsense. You didn't run home crying the first time the playa ate your tent did you? Or the first time you got playa burn? Or when you saw something that intimidated, scared or challenged you...then dont give up now ok.
WaterColor

Re: Ticket Guilt?

Postby Trishntek » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 am

I think the idea of "chance" or "luck" has many burners intimidated and discouraged. You are correct that the community at large has always felt a sense of control when it comes to purchasing tickets and now there is a total lack of that notion. As time moves forward, I believe those who seek will find. Sure, there will be a few who lose out for whatever reason, but when it comes right down to it, there are only so many people who have the desire to attend. How that compares to the 55.6k number of total tickets available is probably closer to par than most imagine.

Ticket sales last year were robust and sold out for the first time. Which means in every year prior, there were more tickets than people willing to go. It is hard for me to imagine there are that many more people wanting to attend than there are tickets. Sure, it may be in the thousands, but it's not like BRC is going to be over run by virgins.

This is only the beginning! Thousands of tickets will be bought and sold and hopefully, if everyone keeps a cool head and utilizes STEP, and BMORG keeps a watchful eye on scalping attempts, most people who want to go will and a small minority will suffer the consequences of chance and luck.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who acquired more tickets than I need simply to ensure my camp has the core group needed to make it happen. Even then, my campmates who were not so lucky this week will keep trying. They know I have a ticket if they need it, and in the end, when the time comes, I will either share my luck with my camp mates or provide a means for someone else to acquire one.

I padded my "bet" because I could and hit the "jackpot". Many may point fingers saying, "You are part of the problem!" Well if that is the case, then your problem with me is the fact that luck shined down on me instead of you. In my mind, I did what I could for the sake of the camp. It is insurance and a little sense of control which I could just as easily not enjoy. I am grateful for the chance to be a blessing to someone else who was less fortunate in the big bet.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 am

Interesting and thoughtful posts.

Great to see you, Trishntek!

Welcome to the board, WaterColor.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby WaterColor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:22 am

Trishntek wrote:
I padded my "bet" because I could and hit the "jackpot". Many may point fingers saying, "You are part of the problem!" Well if that is the case, then your problem with me is the fact that luck shined down on me instead of you. In my mind, I did what I could for the sake of the camp. It is insurance and a little sense of control which I could just as easily not enjoy. I am grateful for the chance to be a blessing to someone else who was less fortunate in the big bet.

I know I would have if I had the extra cash on hand. How could we not want to? Thats why I keep thinking this has got to work out. My friend, Quirk, didn't get his tickets, at least thats how it appeared last time we spoke, but he is calm as a stone Buddah about it. To him and the others like him, that are both persistant and patient; I cant help but think its gotta work out.
WaterColor

Postby domitron » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:25 am

When I think of chance and luck, I think of nature. By chance you are born with looks (good to bad), brains (a lot to little), what country you will be born into (in war, poor, rich, etc.), what parents you'll have (drunk no good thugs to loving, inspiring individuals), etc. Given all that we suffer and all that we gain by luck, don't you think luck has had its day in the sun already in life?

In the system before people got tickets if they were online the day they started selling tickets -- at least everyone I know did. That wasn't luck. That was called planning and being on the ball. It's the kind of planning that the Burning Man experience rewards. If you plan a little, you are a heck of a lot more likely to have a good time out there than if you show up after having hitched a ride in with with nothing but the clothes on your back, right?

Why should the ticket selling process be any different? Why shouldn't it also reward people for getting their act together rather than just being lucky enough to have been drawn out of a pot?

Now having said all of this, I know that hard work will probably pay off for those who were not given the chance to purchase a ticket in round one eventually, but while all of these people are working out how they can get a ticket and how others in their camp can get tickets, how much energy do you think will be siphoned off their art or other community contributions? I think a lot, especially when you consider that many will not be able to resolve who in their camp will even be attending until a couple months before the event.

I really don't expect art to be that good this year. You break up the real core contributors and the event WILL suffer. This new ticket lottery thing has done just that.
domitron

Postby mshaman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:29 am

The problem is, it isn't up to the community to "fix this nonsense". BMOrg, a privately held, for profit corporation with closed books has absolute say. We aren't shareholders. We don't have a vote. The closest thing you can come to having a say is massive, non-violent protest. Boycotts, sit-ins, demonstrations outside the BMOrg office, etc. But let it be clear, we aren't shareholders, we don't have a vote, and BMOrg hasn't given us any options to "fix this nonsense" other than massive action that makes it SO PAINFUL to continue the current course that the company is forced to change it. If BMOrg would like to offer some non-adversarial method of giving representation to its constituents, I'd love to hear about it and use it responsibly. But consider me skeptical. The organization got hundreds if not thousands of emails in protest the moment it was announced, it botched the announcement by handling the situation so flippantly and it failed in its political damage control afterwards by completely underestimating the gravity of what they were doing to the festival. Many of us have been left with the impression that the organization is capricious, careless, and out of touch with reality, or with what its constituents need to be successful in their contributions. The LLC has cost itself immeasurable credibility and trust. I don't know how they're going to recover credibility, or repair that broken trust.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 am

if you think the guilt of getting a ticket from the lottery is bad..

i cant even mention how i got mine without waves of shame rolling over me like a tide of bacon enveloping a group of vegan beachgoers..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby elKay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:49 am

I won 2 full price tickets in the lottery, one for me and one for my husband. Last year was our first burn, we raced to the desert after dropping our youngest kid off at college in Minneapolis. Having four kids and parenting since 1977, it was our first opportunity. The full summer of preparations and three day drive just to get to BRC (I had never before even been west of Denver) made the whole thing feel epic! It was so beautiful when I brought my little brother's ashes to the temple.

It is easy to tell I am not from California because of my Chicago accent- I don't hear it, but so I am told. It crosses my mind that the Chicago accent maybe does not sound friendly- or is somehow offensive? Did it mark us as outsiders? There are a few memories that make me think so. For the most part the week was spectacular and we decided to go back and try to participate more .

Some of the things that I have read on these boards this week have me seriously worried that we are not welcome. I hear in the comments, aimed at us new folks for wrecking your good thing, while we all want the whole burning man family to be there too. Yes, I have ticket guilt. Not selling my ticket quite yet, though.
elKay

Burning Since: 2011

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:54 am

You belong. Do your best, bring your best. Be the Burn. It doesn't have to be on a grand scale.

Shake it up, baby.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:57 am

i didnt know i had a chicago accent until last year..

a buncha people were crowded around me and like 'omg yeah dude.. totally'

*shrug*

chiCAWGo !
lemur

Postby elKay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:07 am

HA! That is exactly what happened to me at a workshop in Boston. I had no idea either.

Thanks AntiM. We always bring our best.
elKay

Postby lemur » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:12 am

quite a coincidence.. the people telling me were from boston also..

maybe they can pick it up better than most?!
lemur

Postby MedullaB » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:29 am

Don't let this board be ANY indicator of the playa.

People communicate in ways they would never in person.

The community is torn a bit right now, people are upset that they don't have tickets. Some are also feeling guilty for getting tickets.

Whether it be this lottery or tickets in years gone by, I think it is safe to say we have all worked the system in one way or another to secure our sought after tickets. This year, the rules changed and it has left many feeling helpless.

This year, I followed requests to only go for tickets I needed. Needed two, requested two - was told there would be tickets for everyone who wanted to go. BMORG has no crystal ball, neither do the mods here, I listened and it turns out they were wrong. Many did. Many are upset.

In previous years, I've had the resources to run three different computers on three different networks to ensure I got in the queue within seconds of going live, rarely greater than 1000th in line. One system crashes and I fall back to the second or third - still get my tickets. Was that fair? Not really any difference than having the resources of enough money to submit in for multiple sets of tickets.

Please do not feel guilty you got tickets.

Make sure you use them.
Make sure you participate.
Make sure you make a difference.

Is there/should there be a forum whereby those who have tickets can offer up their services to a theme camp in need? If you have a talent, share it with a camp in need!

Time to start healing and stop the bashing on both sides.

MB
M

Anything worth planning is worth over planning...
MedullaB

Postby peculiar_heaven » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 am

I dont think 'guilt' is the right word to describe it.
This whole shenigan has just made me think about the (painfully cheesy) ol' scholarship question 'what does burning man mean to you?'
It's not like there was extra unused tickets lying around in previous years, there simply WAS NO LIMIT. The shift from being completely accepting so literally anyone could buy a ticket (even at the very last minute) to stub hub & lotterys & chance is a fuckin paradigm shift!
Honestly thinking about not going. Burning man to me is an intentional community and a reason to direct my energy to exciting and inspiring and intimidating projects for the rest of the year. I LOVE working on these great endeavors, but they would seem quite stupid without the playa to show them off on. And as much as I'd love to meet all y'all on the playa, I do this with (and for!) my friends goddamnit, and I want them to be next to me when Im driving around this art car the we are (were planning on?) building.
I know that any handful of committed burners could throw there own f@#%$#% awesome gathering and bring out the creativity and community that so many people limit to the playa. And you know what, if we are going to celebrate XXX-treme DIY and self reliance and creating our own lil' world, I think its more meaningful that we go find our own flame-proof, awe-inspiring, dusty canvas and create a huge party/city/social experiment/auto show/art show case somewhere new.
So there.
Last edited by peculiar_heaven on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
peculiar_heaven

Postby tamarakay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:45 am

elKay wrote:I won 2 full price tickets in the lottery, one for me and one for my husband. Last year was our first burn, we raced to the desert after dropping our youngest kid off at college in Minneapolis. Having four kids and parenting since 1977, it was our first opportunity. The full summer of preparations and three day drive just to get to BRC (I had never before even been west of Denver) made the whole thing feel epic! It was so beautiful when I brought my little brother's ashes to the temple.

It is easy to tell I am not from California because of my Chicago accent- I don't hear it, but so I am told. It crosses my mind that the Chicago accent maybe does not sound friendly- or is somehow offensive? Did it mark us as outsiders? There are a few memories that make me think so. For the most part the week was spectacular and we decided to go back and try to participate more .

Some of the things that I have read on these boards this week have me seriously worried that we are not welcome. I hear in the comments, aimed at us new folks for wrecking your good thing, while we all want the whole burning man family to be there too. Yes, I have ticket guilt. Not selling my ticket quite yet, though.

You are definately most welcome. Once tickets start shaking out people will settle down.
Come by Barbie Death Camp and make a scarf at my little Dye shop! You will get warm hugs and cold juice and maybe a little bit of Texas wine! I can listen to Yankee, if you can listen to Texas drawl :wink:
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Rye » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:05 pm

I think Medulla has the right idea.
This year would be my second year on the playa, last year was amazing and life-changing, and since I left my biggest desire was to just get back there. I didnt get tickets this year but im not angry towards anyone who did.

Yes people gamed the system, dont we all at some point?
Yes lots of virgins are going, good we were all there at one time (some more recently then others :P )
Yes people are angry, but everyone will settle down eventually

We are burners, we are family, time to act like it! Support eachother.
Congrats to those who got tickets, and if you have extra sell them to the community (STEP)

I know that I am willing to do anything to get back to the playa, and really, im not so worried because, as i learned last year, "the playa will provide".
Is actively attempting to build a time machine..... common august 29th commonnnnnnn
Rye

Postby Ed Phunk » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

elKay wrote: ..... It was so beautiful when I brought my little brother's ashes to the temple.

Beautiful story elKay. Like me, you are feeling the same about the tone of the "veteran" burners. It does need to stop...
Ed Phunk

Postby elKay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:22 pm

I will look you up Tamarakay. :)
elKay

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:23 pm

elKay wrote:I will look you up Tamarakay. :)

Then step next door and adopt art from my Home for Wayward Art.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby elKay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Sounds like a plan. In fact, I might have some art that ought to go wayward, if you are looking for some.
elKay

Postby Savannah » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Beautiful new avatar, elKay. Love the colors.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby elKay » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Thanks! The sky was gorgeous that evening!
elKay

Postby WaterColor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:53 pm

MedullaB wrote:Make sure you use them.
Make sure you participate.
Make sure you make a difference.

Is there/should there be a forum whereby those who have tickets can offer up their services to a theme camp in need? If you have a talent, share it with a camp in need!

Time to start healing and stop the bashing on both sides.

MB

Sounds like a good plan :D
WaterColor

Postby AntiM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:21 pm

elKay wrote:Sounds like a plan. In fact, I might have some art that ought to go wayward, if you are looking for some.

Always welcome. Just be sure it can stand up to the playa winds (not MOOPy and no loose drawings), thanks.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby stinkyfoot » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:09 am

Not after reading all the threads on here complaining about all the unworthy people who got tickets when LONGTIMEEXPERIENCEDBURNERS! didn't. It appears that many people have managed to convince themselves that this whole lottery business is nothing more than a conspiracy to take tickets away from more worthy participants.

I've got to say that I am shocked that people who are supposedly adults, since they were able to use credit cards to enter this lottery, would resort to this sort of self serving illogical reasoning because they're butthurt about not making 1-in-3 odds. Seriously people, one third of all people who entered got tickets, that means one third of all virgins who entered got tickets and one third of non-virgins got tickets.

Probably some scalpers got tickets, sure, but I'd also like to point out that this lottery thing certainly would have caused more trouble for less payout potential than the old system where you could just log in early and buy several lots of 8 at the lowest tier with the same ordering info, no problem.

I hope that the people who are all cranky-pants about not getting tickets can figure out other ways to enrich their lives and I hope that the people on the playa are even more grateful to be there than they would normally be. I'll be there with my toolbox, my people with the full intention of helping out anyone who needs it.
stinkyfoot

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion