Who plans on submitting tickets into STEP program?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Will you donate to STEP? Please be honest

Yes I will donate one ticket
3%
Yes I will donate two tickets
1%
No I will not donate any tickets
76%
I'm not sure if I will donate any tickets yet, will wait and see if any of my friends need tickets first
21%

Total votes : 107

Who plans on submitting tickets into STEP program?

Postby usurpedus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 pm

I know this is all very new but.. I'm curious if this STEP program, which was assumed to make up for some of the shortcomings of the lottery, is really just a pipe dream.

Does anyone who have tickets plan on donating/submitting tickets into the STEP program?

As someone who missed out through the lottery, I'm interested to see if STEP will help.

Thanks!
usurpedus

Re: Who plans on submitting tickets into STEP program?

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:42 pm

If I knew things were going to work out this way I would have tried to get more tickets to donate back to the STEP program. Unfortunately, the only tickets I will be receiving are going to be used by my husband and I... makes me feel bad for even having tickets in the first place :( *sigh*
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby usurpedus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:54 pm

thank you for your honesty.. see you on the playa ;)
usurpedus

Postby ignite00 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:03 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:If I knew things were going to work out this way I would have tried to get more tickets to donate back to the STEP program. Unfortunately, the only tickets I will be receiving are going to be used by my husband and I... makes me feel bad for even having tickets in the first place :( *sigh*

I appreciate your honesty in sharing your emotions throughout the process Brianna. It's good to see that as a newbie (hell, i'm a newbie too- last year was my first burn) you are so considerate of others who are trying to go. That being said, you buying more tickets than you need to donate them back to the STEP program wouldn't have helped, as that would simply have increased others' reliance on the STEP system by taking out more tickets from the lottery. Just wanted to point that out so you don't feel so hard on yourself.

I truly hope the STEP system and the next open sale of 10,000 tickets will alleviate a lot of people's troubles and renew the Burning Man spirit that this event is all about. I'd hate to see things ruined simply because we have to deal with the new reality of a sold out event. It was bound to happen at some point, but our community is stronger than this. All successful events and communities have to overcome harsh realities such as this and i hope that, as cliche as it sounds, it only makes us stronger.

I hope to see you all on the Playa!
ignite00

Postby ignite00 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Just wanted to add that i voted "No" simply because i only asked for one ticket, which i received. If i had extras, for whatever reason, i would certainly place them into the STEP program!
ignite00

Postby cthulhu » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:52 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:makes me feel bad for even having tickets in the first place :( *sigh*

I am feeling similarly; no matter how badly I want to go, I am imagining someone who wants it more. I am feeling the "gifting" urge, but I also don't want to screw over one of my friends in case they don't win, because they have been planning on going as well. Urgh.

It is both good and bad that the STEP program is so soon; good that resell can happen immediately, but the many months between now and when people finally get their shit together (or not) means that a lot of people will be waiting til others' plans fall apart. This strategy works OK if you live fairly nearby (~1 or 2 days' drive) but for others, last-minute travel gets more and more pricey.

We will see. Good luck to everyone. I am nervous about the STEP program, but we shouldn't worry until AFTER things go wrong! :mrgreen:
cthulhu

Postby usurpedus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:59 pm

I'll go ahead and set the over/under on tickets donated to STEP at 150
usurpedus

Postby TT120 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:19 pm

Does the ORG or anyone really believe that if somebody has an extra ticket that they will sell it back to the STEP system for face value? Not gonna happen, they will sell it for way over the face value and put that money in their pocket. DUH.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby soupman » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:25 pm

I have a feeling any unwanted tickets will go to the friends/family of those that did get extras... I would think we all have friends that are in need at this point. It seems the shortage within our camp alone is staggering. :o
soupman

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Last year plenty of people sold tickets at or below face value--even after the sell out. I think the llc has a good basis for believing that many people will not ask for more. Of course, things are up in the air right now, but I suspect that by sometime in March it will become apparent that expecting a lot of extra money for the ticket you are selling is a pipe dream.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 48_love » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:33 pm

There's so much bitterness over everything that I wonder if there will be stigma attached to participating in STEP with the implication being that only hoarders/hedgers are putting up tickets into STEP.

I don't have a huge network of friends who go to Burning Man, but I do know that I will be networking locally to develop some more relationships.
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby tamarakay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35 pm

We bought four in presale. If one of the kids can't go, which appears likely, and a campmate doesnt need it, we would do STEP.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby piehole » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:37 pm

tamarakay wrote:We bought four in presale. If one of the kids can't go, which appears likely, and a campmate doesnt need it, we would do STEP.

DIBS! (for a campmate)

yes i'm aware that isn't how it works, just pieholin'
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby havoc » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:48 pm

TT120 wrote:Does the ORG or anyone really believe that if somebody has an extra ticket that they will sell it back to the STEP system for face value? Not gonna happen, they will sell it for way over the face value and put that money in their pocket. DUH.

if people were going to have their tickets in-hand in 2 weeks (or even a month), i could see this. but most people will not buy a ticket without some guarantee that the seller has it in-hand. i think the prospect of getting (most of) your money back right away for extra tickets - instead of waiting until june, taking pictures, posting them on craigslist, ebay, etc. - will be attractive to some people who have more tickets than they need.

at least that's what i'm telling myself... :cry:
havoc

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:54 pm

It seems like it will depend on location...I for one live 4 hours from Black Rock in a very Burny community, so IF I had an extra I would check around the community first.

HOWEVER, I would also be tempted to just sell it back to STEP to avoid credit card interest n stuff like that....Every penny counts for me so it might be too much of a hassle to hold onto someones ticket. They would have to pay me right now and it would have to be someone I am in fairly close contact with.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby pink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:28 pm

I would hope that anyone approached to buy an over face value ticket would report the seller as a scalper. Long time burner or newbie. I don't care if they run the most awesome of all theme camps or art projects. A scalper is a scalper.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby tamarakay » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:31 pm

pink wrote:I would hope that anyone approached to buy an over face value ticket would report the seller as a scalper. Long time burner or newbie. I don't care if they run the most awesome of all theme camps or art projects. A scalper is a scalper.

However that is not illegal in Nevada. Perfectly legal activity so report to whom? Or is it who ?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey our camp is looking for 6 tickets if anyone wants to donate to us! We finally have the time and finances to go as a group. I'll send you a certified cashier's check :P
Nickag

Postby usurpedus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:17 pm

why dont you go on a booze cruise in cancun instead?
usurpedus

Postby fembot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:26 pm

People do not have due consideration to donate early, and I fear that even if the STEP program goes live and works as intended on February 22, people won't know if they need the extra tickets until much much later.

Currently I know of at least 6 in my camp, myself included, who does not have a ticket.
fembot

Postby Nickag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 pm

usurpedus wrote:why dont you go on a booze cruise in cancun instead?

Is that a reply to me?
Nickag

Postby Gbr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:27 pm

We are a bunch of Dutch burners, already paid for our RV and flight...(if your from Europe you have to do this in december)
But cause of the new way of selling out the tickets...we have none...

So we are happy with any amount of ticket(s)...?!

Anybody?
Gbr

Postby TT120 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:41 pm

The STEP program relies on there being a lot of extra tickets out there. I don't believe there will be that many because I don't think an overwhelming amount people applied for more tickets than they needed. Sure, some did get more than they needed and there will be some tickets around here and there but not that many. Most "extra" tickets are going to go to a campmate that didn't get one in the lottery, STEP wont be involved. I think the demand just far exceeded the supply and everyone just wants to go to the party.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby usurpedus » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:05 pm

exactly
usurpedus

Postby vachot » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:08 pm

It would be pretty reasonable to assume that last year almost everybody who went, really wanted to go.

This year there will likely be plenty of people who did not bother to register, and probably would not have even thought of going 'cept for some friend who had some extra tickets.

Seems like it kinda waters it down, don't it?
Struggle and Change

Don't forget to bring a towel!
vachot

Camp Name: Kamp Kalamazoo

Postby gonzoblair » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:10 pm

24 votes and not a single person has voted yes on any tickets going into STEP? Geez.
gonzoblair

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:15 pm

gonzoblair wrote:24 votes and not a single person has voted yes on any tickets going into STEP? Geez.

Geez what? The vast majority of ticket holders do not visit ePlaya, and even fewer will even see this thread.

Anyway, it's February 1st. The lottery just ended. Have some patience.

I swear, most ePlayans can't see anything beyond their nose.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Well...some of us have a really REALLY big nose.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:29 pm

I applied for one ticket during the pre-sale...and got it. Im very happy but there is one obstacle that still puts me hanging in the balance of happenstance......

My car

I only have this one car. It needs a few repairs and possibly new tires before I head Home. Im a freelancer so my income is unpredictable. So, that simple repair and tires that might be a drop in the buckeet to the gainfully employed, is aa big hurdle for me.

So, if my car just isnt playa ready, I wont have any choice but to toss in the towel and thus re-purpose my ticket. I will DEFINITELY be submitting to the STEP program if this is indeed not my year to return to playa (So far, its been almost 3 years since I been able to go)
Catwoman69y2k

Postby zer0mass » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:44 pm

gonzoblair wrote:24 votes and not a single person has voted yes on any tickets going into STEP? Geez.

If I had extra tickets, for whatever reason, I would put them into STEP. But sadly, I am one of those that did not get their tickets . . . YET!!
zer0mass

Next

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion