Hoarding tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Did you apply for more tickets than you needed?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes : 101

Re: Hoarding tickets

Postby usurpedus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:55 am

the term 'needed' probably isnt the best fit.

clearly according to what many people are saying, many people 'needed' to buy more tickets than they would need personally, in an effort to ensure the highest probability of maximum members of their social circle to attend.

i think a poll asking 'how many of you registered for extra tickets, in case your friends couldn't get theirs?' would give us better insight into what percent of us ordered more tickets than we [i]personally[/i] 'needed'.
usurpedus

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:00 am

Don't ever expect to get anything approaching science or accuracy out of a message forum poll - results are accurate +/- 100%
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Just_Joe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:11 am

trilobyte wrote:@tamarakay - hoarding is essentially getting more than you need. That doesn't mean that people who do it are horrible evil people, or even bad people. Some people do it for great reasons - covering for campmates or projects, or even to gift. Unfortunately, in a situation where there aren't enough to go around, those actions come at someone else's expense. There's no clear wrong/right, it's just an unfortunate situation brought on by scarcity.

As I've said before, my asssumption is that there is a massive interest by scalpers. TIme will tell-maybe I'm wrong.
My altruistic self believes (and still does) that and that any overage that I could realize would be one for "our" side and would find its way to the right person.
I'm sorry that my intentions have been misconstrued.
User weather man is now Just_Joe
Just_Joe

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:40 pm

I will have Staff tickets, but both my wife and myself ordered two tickets each at the highest price level . If awarded these will be given to our two daughters and their boyfriends. Each year I pay for their tickets. They didn't have the funds on their cards to do so this year and I was told that is what fathers are for.
This really is not hoarding. It is simply participating within the guidelines.
While they haven't missed a year since they started going, if either are unable to attend they would be sold at face value.

And as a side note, in the past when we have ended up with extra tickets I have taken them to the Event and sold them in Gerlach. The looks of appreciation when you sell a ticket there for face value is worth more than I can describe.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby alt12 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:48 pm

TT120 wrote:Everybody seems to be talking about everyone else hoarding tickets this year. JRS says a LOT of people are doing it. I would assume that the people here on ePlaya are a good cross section of the population at large of BRC. Lets see what it looks like. You dont have to explain your vote unless you want to.

I only applied for the 1 ticket I need. My money is tight, I don't have room to tie up more than I need.

I'm not sure hoarding tickets is really a very fair characterization. By instituting this lottery and creating so much uncertainty around ticketing, the bmorg is incentivized people to attempt to increase their odds of actually getting a ticket by multiply registering for the lottery in various ways.... Its not like they literally are trying to accumulate tickets. People are just trying to increase their odds. In the old days people would do this by logging on to tickets.burningman.com on the first day of the ticket sale via multiple computers (i.e. laptop, home computer, and iPhone) and would place their order from whichever got access first. It didn't result in people purchasing more tickets than they needed because the sale was instantaneous, as opposed to the delayed outcome of the lottery.

This is a fairly predictable turn of events. Instead of blaming the "hoarders" for the problem how about blaming the design of a system that implicitly encourages "hoarding."
alt12

Burning Since: 2003

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:00 pm

Your Honor,
It was burningman's terrible ticket system that made me kill my parents and torture 84 cats. I do not deserve to go to prison for these minor wobbles in my moral compass. Larry did it!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:11 pm

aww, those poor cats..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Fiver » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:37 pm

I'm not. But if someone offered me $5k for a ticket, that's hard to pass up.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:00 pm

i am literally hoarding tickets in 2012..

so far i have about 47 ticket confirmations... (expecting at least 37 more)

i plan to pulp all of these tickets and make some really nice paper out of them..

hand made paper is very valuable these days..

just imagine how much it will be worth on ETSY!!!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Saguache » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:11 pm

Shambala wrote:I don't think anyone hoarded tickets. What appears to have happened is that people entered more than one entry in hopes of getting what they needed. No one expected to buy 6 tickets when they only wanted 2. They will have a small problem if they get more than they need.
Hoarding really isn't the right word.

Actually its exactly the right word.

Hoarding or caching is a general term for a behavior that leads people or animals to accumulate food or other items in anticipation of future need or scarcity.

Applying for more tickets than you need in the off chance that it might increase the possibility you will get the tickets you do need inevitably will lead to possession of unneeded tickets. You're padding your chances to gain a resource by hoarding that resource.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby pink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:22 am

alt12 wrote:
TT120 wrote:Everybody seems to be talking about everyone else hoarding tickets this year. JRS says a LOT of people are doing it. I would assume that the people here on ePlaya are a good cross section of the population at large of BRC. Lets see what it looks like. You dont have to explain your vote unless you want to.

I only applied for the 1 ticket I need. My money is tight, I don't have room to tie up more than I need.

I'm not sure hoarding tickets is really a very fair characterization. By instituting this lottery and creating so much uncertainty around ticketing, the bmorg is incentivized people to attempt to increase their odds of actually getting a ticket by multiply registering for the lottery in various ways.... Its not like they literally are trying to accumulate tickets. People are just trying to increase their odds. In the old days people would do this by logging on to tickets.burningman.com on the first day of the ticket sale via multiple computers (i.e. laptop, home computer, and iPhone) and would place their order from whichever got access first. It didn't result in people purchasing more tickets than they needed because the sale was instantaneous, as opposed to the delayed outcome of the lottery.

This is a fairly predictable turn of events. Instead of blaming the "hoarders" for the problem how about blaming the design of a system that implicitly encourages "hoarding."

And then you wonder why the servers crashed.....
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby nncoco » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:29 am

I had a ticket nightmare last year that I would not wish on anyone. I bought two extras to resell at cost to my camp mates as a service to the camp. Yes I can see the paradox there.
nncoco

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:49 am

Two behaviors, then? One is padding the chances of getting a ticket with thoughts of reselling if all are won. The other, padding your chances so you can help your friends go if their chances fall through.

Yes? No? I did buy three in the presale, one more than we need as a couple, but exactly as many as our camp requires to function. Even though our third is a ranger, I wasn't sure if he'd worked enough shifts last year or not for his ticket. That "extra" ticket is potentially earmarked for an eplayan, don't know who just yet, but it will be a hard call when it comes down to it.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BBadger » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:25 am

AntiM wrote:Two behaviors, then? One is padding the chances of getting a ticket with thoughts of reselling if all are won. The other, padding your chances so you can help your friends go if their chances fall through.

I don't think they're mutually exclusive. In my case, the latter is the core reason, with the former as the solution if the latter is no longer needed.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby BurningDaylight » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:47 am

Phooey. It's not hoarding. I know plenty of people who panicked and applied for more than they needed. They panicked because there was a frenzy about how others were going to game the system. I appreciate the need for a solving some of the ticket problems, and good try on creating a new system, but the overbuying is a major flaw and something's got to change for next year. Maybe we can incorporate retinal scans.

For the record, I applied for 2 - one for me and wife. Voted Yes on the poll because, like badger, I found the wording annoying.
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion