WOMP CAMP?

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

WOMP CAMP?

Postby Dan Snakehead » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:39 am

First time camp organizer here just getting the ball rolling...im thinking 50 or so people chipping in for a dome, a bar, a generator, some lighting, sound, and deco. Suggestions welcome, haters not.

What is Womp?

According to the Urban Dictionary :

1. Can mean ANYTHING, or is just said randomly at any given time.
2. A word used to describe the sound made by the low bass frequencies in dub-step songs.
3. The sound a dinosaur makes when it sneezes.
4. An exclamation used during times in which a plausible response is non-existent. Also used as a response to hearing an unfortunate comment.
5. A noise made from techno/trance/electronic music
6. A run/walk preferably in the wild.
7. A collection of people getting together to go on a collective run/walk preferably in the wild (but any venue will suffice) followed by the drinking of adult beverages and exchanging in witty banter until the adult beverages run out.
8. To jump on and hug someone simultaneously. Womp is the sound of impact of the Womper falling on the Wompee, as well as the sound of the Wompee falling on the ground.

Acronyms :

1. Word of Massive Power
2. World of Mining Professionals
3. Word of Mouth Potential
4. Weapons of Mass Protection
5. Word of Mouth Project

Will you womp with us at "Womp Camp 2012"

Anyone know the average camp cost?

- Dan Snakehead aka Maxxx
Dan Snakehead = Dance Naked the most clever name in Djing 13 years exp. available for 1 or 2 more stage performances, Representing DJ's in a Box, Victoria BC Canada. I play EVERYTHING and LOVE being challenged with genres and improvised fusion.
Dan Snakehead

Burning Since: 2011

Re: WOMP CAMP?

Postby The CO » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 am

9-Womp <wa(mp)> : Negative statement. From 'Recess' cartoon. 'This womps."
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Gurmi » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:21 pm

hey! i like the sound of your camp. Im looking for camps to mix at to bring the real dark bass vibes to da playa. check out me soundcloud!

http://soundcloud.com/gurmi
Gurmi

Postby lemur » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Dan Snakehead wrote:First time camp organizer here just getting the ball rolling...im thinking 50 or so people chipping in for a dome, a bar, a generator, some lighting, sound, and deco. Suggestions welcome, haters not.

Anyone know the average camp cost?

- Dan Snakehead aka Maxxx

The amount you had previously suggested is not enough to do a dome, a bar, a generator, lights, sound and decor of any notability (and what about fuel for the genny, transport costs, 'private' camp areas, graywater concerns, tools to build with, consumables, nails, zip ties, stakes,rebar, bolts, screws, surge protectors, extension cords, duct tape, rental costs, 'oh shit' unexpected costs, disaster funds, 'we forgot' funds.. budget overruns..fines when some idiot serves a minor and you get busted by the cops.. speeding tickets.. etc..etc..)

50 people is too many... people do kick ass camps with similar things to what you propose with 10 or 12.. ..and well, unless they are all providing their own shit,.. lots of people might not be interested in working without some kinda 'perk' or communally shared stuff.. like kitchen/private shade/electricity/shower/etc.. (if you just need them for their money...meh)

we already probably have 200-300 of these kinds of camps, if not way more.. what makes YOUR CAMP the one they should choose? What makes you different? Why you!? You already see one DJ person who wants to do it.. but, probably aint gonna end up with too many happy campers if you have 50 DJ's in one camp all wanting to play at once!.. beyond DJs.. who might only be interested in spinning a set.. who is gonna want to build shit ? why ? how will you attract them to you?

theres a lots of things to consider... surely some camps get by without planning out so much.. but also some camps end up as disaster zones where nothing works out, theres tons of drama.. people are pissed cuz they paid $110 for some shithole and feel ripped off.. etc..etc.

if you want to be the one at the healm of such a beast youre gonna have to be willing to kick some major ass, tell people 'NO!!!' ..wrangle herds of cats... and actually pull it all off ..without freakin out and without crumbling when troubles/unknown shit occurs..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Dan Snakehead » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:45 pm

Yeah on second thought I think Im going to rephrase, 9 WOMP kids from BC's west coast are looking to share get in on merge or help with another camp, who knows maybe we can merge themes...
Dan Snakehead = Dance Naked the most clever name in Djing 13 years exp. available for 1 or 2 more stage performances, Representing DJ's in a Box, Victoria BC Canada. I play EVERYTHING and LOVE being challenged with genres and improvised fusion.
Dan Snakehead

Burning Since: 2011

Postby trilobyte » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Take a look at the theme camps seeking participants thread, and send a PM to any theme camps that look like something you'd like to be a part of. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby veleda » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:25 pm

If you want to start a camp:

"..im thinking 50 or so people chipping in for a dome, a bar, a generator, some lighting, sound, and deco. Suggestions welcome, haters not."

DOME ? What size. Expect to spend at least 3K and start looking at craigslist now.
Generator ? Hard to guestimate your sound set up. How big of a system do you have? led lighting? stage lighting? So lets say 1.5k if you rent a small gennie and fuel for the week. If you do a larger sound system this changes.
Sound System? You going to buy one? You can get a crappy but servicable one for a few thousand. music oriented sound system can cost up to 100k.
Lighting? do you want professional lighting? 1-2k but you could get by with a few par64 for a couple hundred.
Deco is up to you.

Then you have to look at other infrastructure - transportation (1-2.5k), Storage for the year (1k), kitchen? food? shower? evap pond? all these things add up. Do you have builders in your core crew?

My biggest question is what is your point as a camp? There are tons of bar+DJ places on the playa. What makes this different?

Yes you could if you had a dedicated crew pull off something like this..it sounds pretty minimal especially if you're talking only a 20-30' dome.. but I would give it a lot more thought and get actually excited about what specifically you are offering.

Like will be playing only happy hard core all the time? :D Will everyone be dressed up like Sparkleponies?
Luv n' Rocket;
Veleda
Sacred Spaces Village
veleda

Return to 2012 Theme Camps