Oh The Places You'll go

Oh The Places You'll go

Postby JayBobBoy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm sure this has been shared here before...but just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahv_1IS7SiE

Awesome, well produced, and Dr. Seuss. What more could you want. He really must have been channeling BM when he wrote that!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Re: Oh The Places You'll go

Postby jkisha » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:17 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:I'm sure this has been shared here before...but just in case.

Awesome, well produced, and Dr. Seuss. What more could you want. He really must have been channeling BM when he wrote that!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby maryanimal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:26 pm

I loved this video! It was wonderful!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby TheWhiteDog » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 am

Damn I love that video.
TheWhiteDog

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:29 am

Yeah.. I would have loved it even more had Teddy boy waited just a few more weeks to realease it.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lemur » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:54 am

i saw it today for the first time..

i gotta say.. ..im not all that liking it.. charming.... cute....

maybe its cuz i never really grew up with dr suess books... ?

more creative than lots of the burning man video ..yeah but ..also, *shrug*

surely all we need is videos of the Crude Awakening burn.,... if that doesnt make ya wanta go.....

yeah, ..it surely aint as charming..or cute... but.. splosions ... fricken splosions!!

i bet $10,000 of mitt romneys money that most kids would prefer awesome splosions to a dr suess book..

ive been wrong before.. but hey, it isnt my money..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lazerfox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:55 am

was the goal of the video promotion of BM? I thought it was just artistic expression of the makers...in which case I think they succeeded :)
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 am

I have no doubt in my mind that Teddy's goal was artistic expression and to express the collective joy, wonder, and love of the event. I think he released it when he had it finished.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:09 am

I have no doubt about either and absolutely love the thing, I do. I don't think that he ever imagined that it would go so viral and therefore never gave a forethought to the timing of the release.

Just saying that in the way the planets aligned, it's a coulda woulda shoulda.. albeit moot point now.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:28 am

Yeah, but in that strange way that the playa and the universe sometimes provide… mebbe it was supposed to happen that way. While there'll be a bit more of a challenge for some to get their tickets, there will be many new fresh faces to meet and connect with out there.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:28 pm

lemur wrote:i saw it today for the first time..

i gotta say.. ..im not all that liking it.. charming.... cute....

maybe its cuz i never really grew up with dr suess books... ?

more creative than lots of the burning man video ..yeah but ..also, *shrug*

oh thank you! I didn't want to say anything, but I quit after a minute or two. I grew up on the Suess books, but not that one--it was after my time. But I have trouble with anyone messing with the books. The sheer wacky joy of them is so perfect that putting them into another context doesn't work with me. It also seemed to be filming the stereotypical burner girl far too often, but then I didn't get far, so maybe it evened out later...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lazerfox » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm

That is interesting to hear...maybe that is why it worked for me....I can honestly say that I did not grow up knowing any Dr Seuss books nor even who the man was. To date I've only heard the Cat in the Hat story (only due to where I work) and one other that I got for my son and I don't even remember the name. (Something about dad being tired I think)

So I have no prior emotional connection with the story therefore to me it is simply witty writing (by the good Dr) with images of amazing people in a place that is dear to my heart.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby davink » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I thought it was a great video until I learned it was a Dr. Seuss book. Then I thought it was a great video.
davink

Postby TheWhiteDog » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 pm

TheWhiteDog

Postby graidawg » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:38 am

shoulda stuck with it fishy, it does get different later on but i just love the thought thats gone into it.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby skibear » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:48 am

lemur wrote:
i bet $10,000 of mitt romneys money that most kids would prefer awesome splosions to a dr suess book..

ive been wrong before.. but hey, it isnt my money..

THAT explosion was the most incredible event ever. I was there & was blown away by it !!!!!!!!!!
The load of jet fuel & propane was so massive it looked like a nuclear bomb going off and I could feel the heat
from it a quarter mile away. Even camped last year with the theme camp for the guys who set it up.
:twisted:
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby tamarakay » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:43 am

I enjoyed this video and shared it with my family and friends (yeah! a video that won't scare my mom!). Anyway, they shared with friends etc. out of the several hundred (perhaps 1000) times my family/friends/coworkers watched it, not one of them signed up for tickets.

Now, the one Lemur posted with the BOOM! That got a couple of them asking if it was too late to join up. I told them that tickets would be available in something like 2020.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby CornMan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm

I glanced at this video the day it came out and stumbled into it several times since, but it wasn't until today that I allowed myself get over the corniness of it and to really watch it and give it some thought. This is Dr. Seuss at his libertarian best. The thought that our precious little children can learn to judge situations for themselves and consider the risk to benefit ratio of things must be horrifying to the control mongers who help spawn the nanny state culture. This story puts life's responsibilities squarely on the shoulders of the individual. My son considers himself too old (11) for Dr. Seuss, so I'll just copy, paste, and print the text of "Oh the Places You'll Go" and ask him to read it with a critical eye when he gets home from school today and see what he has to say. I also liked the cross section of the BRC citizenry. Too many videos and photo collages focus only on the youth/beauty movement within the festival. It's encouraging to see an example that takes us baby steps into the direction to show that it's not only the perfect body/face image that warrants our attention. It's nice to consider that being multifaceted healthy is a possibility for us all even if we find ourselves down sometimes.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Return to 2011 Art & Performance