Stargazing

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Stargazing

Postby truefilth » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Hello all, this is my first post. (:

I'm going to my first burn this year && I was wondering if the stars are actually visible and bright. I live near Dallas, Texas and NEVER get to see the stars. So, would the Playa be a good place to bring a telescope?
truefilth

Re: Stargazing

Postby Sham » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:01 pm

Sometime yes, sometime no. It all depends on the night and the cloud cover. If you're driving, I would suggest bringing the telescope. If you're flying, I would suggest leaving it home.
I hope this helps! :D

Edited to add: WELCOME TO EPLAYA.
Sham

Postby The CO » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:18 pm

And, keep in mind that Black Rock City has light spilling out all over.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby lemur » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:38 pm

there are some stars and stuff....

but theres also all kinda other crap..

the view from my camp in 2011 was full of ..stuff

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:47 pm

it's not to bad way out at Pt3 at the trash fence, as far as light pollution. and, depending on weather and wind, can be pretty clear out there.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:53 pm

One of the best ways to view the stars there within the city blocks is to climb up on top of an RV with a friendly owner, and just lay on your back and look up. Getting up even 1 story high will help you see some wonderful things--the Milky Way, some planets, shooting stars.

Other, taller items such as towers, platforms, scaffolding are also helpful. Or wander away from the city a hundred yards from the outside streets and enjoy. If you lay down, have lights on your body (always good at night) and stay alert so bicyclists or art cars don't hit ya.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Savannah wrote:One of the best ways to view the stars there within the city blocks is to climb up on top of the RV with a friendly owner, and just lay on your back and look up. Getting up even 1 story high will help you see some wonderful things--the Milky Way, some planets, shooting stars.

Other, taller items such as towers, platforms, scaffolding are also helpful. Or wander away from the city a hundred yards from the outside streets and enjoy. If you lay down, have lights on your body (always good at night) and stay alert so bicyclists or art cars don't hit ya.

*so much for the darktard polo match*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:11 pm

That works if you lie down, too.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 am

yayy for telescope!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 am

There's a huge astronomy camp with awesome telescopes out by the trash fence. You should go check 'em out..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby burner von braun » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:27 am

Welcome to eplaya truefilth!

I love looking at the stars, but honestly, didn't seem to find time for it during my first burn (too many fire breathing dragons roaming about). The above are all great suggestions. I'll make more of an attempt this year.

You might consider an additional option if you are driving. Along the way, or on the way back, especially in the higher altitudes like parts of Utah, or Nevada, pull over safely in a darkened stretch of highway on a clear night. It will take your breath away! Especially someone from a city such as you. I have never seen as many stars at once in my entire life as the night I pulled over somewhere in the middle of Utah one night after the burn. It was glorious!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 pm

The stars are MUCH MORE easily viewed at night.
Seriously, just when you arrive is probably the best time. Light pollution gets worse as the event goes on.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:The stars are MUCH MORE easily viewed at night.

Except for that one really close star.

You know, the sun.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby wh..sh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 pm

ensimismada wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:The stars are MUCH MORE easily viewed at night.

Except for that one really close star.

You know, the sun.

:D :D :D :D
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:25 am

Seeing the Milky Way is a amazing.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 am

I've never thought about not being able to see the stars...I'm from Montana so I see them every night as long as the night is clear. I remember being out on the farm when I was younger. Lying in the middle of the pasture with the cow turds looking up at the stars and listening to the coyotes yipp :D Those were amazing times!

Anyway...just be careful about bringing an expensive telescope. Remember, the playa dust gets into EVERYTHING!
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am

AntiM wrote:Seeing the Milky Way is a amazing.

It blew my mind the first time I realized that I was looking at it. :shock: You can't see it within the city limits here; not with the naked eye . . .

Savannah

Postby Noboundaries » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:02 am

Full moon on Aug 31st this year. Assuming no clouds the night sky is going to be flooded with light.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby SquirrelHead » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:07 am

Savannah wrote:
AntiM wrote:Seeing the Milky Way is a amazing.

It blew my mind the first time I realized that I was looking at it. :shock: You can't see it within the city limits here; not with the naked eye . . .

So do you need a telescope to see it or just head out of the city a few hundred yards? I love going to the lake because it is way out there and you can see all the stars. We see several shooting stars over the weekend.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby AntiM » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:29 am

The milky way is a wide band of white... you just have to find a dark spot, let your eyes adjust and look up. You'll figure it out.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby SquirrelHead » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:12 am

Sweet! I am adding this to my long list of things to do. Of course I know the list is out the window once I actually get there and start experiencing everything.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby moonrise » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:11 am

SquirrelHead wrote:Sweet! I am adding this to my long list of things to do. Of course I know the list is out the window once I actually get there and start experiencing everything.
It'll be more difficult to see it in the city with BRC light pollution, try to be aware of that no matter how dusty it is or isn't, or what phase & stage the moon is in.

My home home is at 7000 elev. above sea level. Looking up, while standing on my deck on a dark and crystal clear night, the Milky Way overtakes a huge swath of the night sky...it looks close enough to give you veritgo just looking at it. *It looks like clouds made of stars*

I can't beleive you haven't seen the Milky Way Squirrelhead! (btw, seen through the naked eye means, looking without a telescope)
2012 burn there's a full moon and (probable) extra dusty skies. If the full moon brightness doesn't wash out the subtle Milky Way, you've got a tiny chance the night sky might be clear enough to actually see it in it's glory, while on the playa.
I would only plan this if I could (figure out!) gps and time the night without a moon (on noes! not me?) and you need to be lucky enough to have clear skies.
Good luck.
If clear skies, and no moon phase & stage issues, then be there in place, sit and wait out in deep darker playa, maybe you'll see it.

If kinda, sorta, maybe clear-ish skies, and you get tired of sitting in the deep dark playa, asuming without a moon (mm mmm!) and you're in the city and you can somehow see through BRC light pollution well enough to see it clears at the magic Milky Way hour, that's when you practice immediacy, hop on your bikes and zip to the pre planned gps, deep playa spot and see it in it's glory.
~Bring some refreshments. :mrgreen: Absinthe?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:45 pm

The beams from the UFO's drown out the light from the exploding galaxies, but it's all right.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Saguache » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:26 am

BRC tends to burn out the stars, but the playa is a GREAT place for star gazing. There's just too much light pollution as te week goes on; that said don't forget to look up.
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby kiss-o-matic » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:15 am

Saguache wrote:BRC tends to burn out the stars, but the playa is a GREAT place for star gazing. There's just too much light pollution as te week goes on; that said don't forget to look up.

Sry for the necro-bump.

Weirdly enough, Just like the OP, I'm originally from Dallas and never got to see the stars then. As you can imagine, it's even worse in Tokyo. Is it advisable to do a short hike away from the Playa to get away from some of the light pollution? I'm mainly talking about safety in terms of going off the beaten path. Seeing the Milky Way is high on my bucket list, and I'll be damned if I'm ever going to see it in Japan. Even the forests have street lights and vending machines. :|
kiss-o-matic

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 am

Most routes in/out are excellent for taking in stars, and you already have camping capability, right?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby kiss-o-matic » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:28 pm

some seeing eye wrote:Most routes in/out are excellent for taking in stars, and you already have camping capability, right?

Yep, sure do. Only down side is is that my tripod sucks for that stuff. Found out the hard way during the lunar eclipse in the winter. Froze my ass off finding it out too! Guess I'll just look.
kiss-o-matic

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 pm

kiss-o-matic wrote:
Saguache wrote:BRC tends to burn out the stars, but the playa is a GREAT place for star gazing. There's just too much light pollution as te week goes on; that said don't forget to look up.

Sry for the necro-bump.

Weirdly enough, Just like the OP, I'm originally from Dallas and never got to see the stars then. As you can imagine, it's even worse in Tokyo. Is it advisable to do a short hike away from the Playa to get away from some of the light pollution? I'm mainly talking about safety in terms of going off the beaten path. Seeing the Milky Way is high on my bucket list, and I'll be damned if I'm ever going to see it in Japan. Even the forests have street lights and vending machines. :|

I did not have to go out to deep playa to see the Milky Way. I was at about 8:45 and G streets, on top of an RV, which kept lanterns and other low lights from interfering. I can't remember if there was a moon or not. But you'll probably know the Milky Way when you see it. It's a Holy Fuck moment. At first you might think you have dust in your eyes . . . but then you realize it's a streaky field of stars. It's crazy. I'm really looking forward to seeing it again. It'll probably be even easier an hour before I hit the playa. (Always look up during your last rest stops. Gorgeous.)

Kiss-O-Matic, start by looking up wherever you find yourself, then go further out as needed. :D

Savannah

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:31 am

Yeah, the light pollution is not that bad. Compared to the Big City, anyway. Of course, you'll hear folks from the boondocks complaining that you can only see 34,000,000 stars, boohoo. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Trishntek » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 am

Coming early or staying late are the best skies on the playa! Thursday night before gate opens is really dark! Head straight East from the Temple to the trash fence through the burn week for the best darkness.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man