The Forgotten Dog

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

The Forgotten Dog

Postby 5280MeV » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:45 am

This has been driving me crazy. I get obsessed over little historical details in things where it looks like the prevailing history might be wrong.

One example that particularly drives me nuts is in the history of astronomy. There is this persistent myth that people constructed "epicycles upon epicycles" with the geocentric Ptolemaic model of planetary motion, and that it was getting more and more complex to accurately represent observation. The truth is that no one ever added any complexity before Copernicus made his heliocentric model, which Kepler found to be more or less accurate as Ptolemy's. However, the story of Ptolemy's model collapsing under the weight of its own complexity is a nice story, and people like the phrase "epicylces upon epicycles". I have seen multiple astronomy professors repeat the myth.

But that isn't what I wanted to ask about...

There is this interesting piece of text in Wikipedia's Burning Man article:

The annual event now known as Burning Man began as a bonfire ritual on the summer solstice in 1986 when Larry Harvey, Jerry James, and a few friends met on Baker Beach in San Francisco[7] and burned a 9-foot (2.7-meter) wooden man as well as a smaller wooden dog. Harvey has described his inspiration for burning these effigies as a spontaneous act of "radical self-expression".[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_man

This text is copied and pasted, usually verbatum all over the internet. But was there really a little wooden dog? This is the only photo of the 1986 man that I can find. I can't see the dog, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't there:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10111/2970429702/

The wikipedia quote is sourced from Brian Doherty's 2004 book, "This is Burning Man". Enough of it can be previewed online to catch the relevant passage:

Larry and Jerry went down to the ocean with their kids - Tristan, four, and Robin, five - who brought with them, Larry remembers, a wooden dog they had built, an act they failed to repeat, providing Larry with a stern fatherly example of the importance of follow-through for his son (no one remembers the Burning Dog now). A handful of other friends came along - whom, specifically, neither Larry or Jerry remembers for sure.

That appears to be all that is said about the dog. Is this account correct, and are there even that many people who can verify? Does anyone even know what it looked like, and is there a photo? Was it actually burned with the man? Is it a myth, or reality?
5280MeV

Re: The Forgotten Dog

Postby gyre » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:11 am

True
gyre

Postby Elderberry » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 am

I don't know, but I wouldn't believe anyone that posts an answer unless they were actually there.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 am

Our 2002 regional had a dog.... I don't know why. And our Man was also a Woman on the other side. We weren't allowed to burn that year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Experiences at Burning Man