Most Ridiculous Reactions

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby Chrome » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:43 pm

So I was reading the 2012 ticket post on the burning blog and couldn't help but notice the crazy over-reactions and horrible analogies comparing the new ticketing system to all sorts of horrible atrocities. So there is a lot of funny posts and I know i'm missing some, So whats the craziest reaction you've seen so far? some of my favs have been:
"Congratulations BMORG, you just killed Burning Man."

"All the while, the BMorg:

* Rolls around in a huge pile of money they just made.
* Dreams of new ways to make First Camp better for themselves. (How’s the full stocked, top shelf, never empty bar working out? We can’t tell. First Camp is a gated community paid by everyone else.)
* Orders more air-conditioned “work” trailers and sleeping rooms for BMorg members.
* Increases the portions and quality of FREE food (i.e. steak/salmon) at the BMorg commissary
* Thinks all is rainbows and kittens at HQ.

Who looks like the 1% now?"

"Surely splitting up friends and family isn’t what I thought BM was all about?!?!"
Chrome
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:21 pm

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Once I saw some bonehead go to the trouble of signing up to ePlaya just so he or she could parrot a bunch of comments other people made on a blog post.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10638
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby P.Ram » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Here's some good hyperbole:
"BM lottery is turning out to be like the Iraq war. Everyone outside of those making the decisions knew exactly what would happen."
There is no they. There is only whee!
P.Ram
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:07 pm

Nice domeshot in your new avatar, Trilo.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
User avatar
oneeyeddick
 
Posts: 5588
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: Probably in your pants
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby ygmir » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:21 pm

you want to see a reaction?

place elemental potassium, in a pure chlorine atmosphere.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25992
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby tamarakay » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:02 pm

trilobyte wrote:Once I saw some bonehead go to the trouble of signing up to ePlaya just so he or she could parrot a bunch of comments other people made on a blog post.


Gee Trilo, isn't this awful close to a personal attack?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token


http://www.dyewithdignity.com
User avatar
tamarakay
 
Posts: 2132
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:27 pm
Location: Texas
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby BBadger » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:51 pm

tamarakay wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Once I saw some bonehead go to the trouble of signing up to ePlaya just so he or she could parrot a bunch of comments other people made on a blog post.


Gee Trilo, isn't this awful close to a personal attack?


I'd say a "group attack" as it pretty much describes the majority of the first-post-lottery-manifesto posters that have infected this forum this past month.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
User avatar
BBadger
 
Posts: 3966
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am
Location: (near) Portland, OR, USA
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:10 pm

People comparing the lottery system to the Iraq war casualties and 911 were pretty ridiculous and insulting IMHO
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
User avatar
lucky420
 
Posts: 4180
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 am
Location: Reno, NV
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby Sham » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree lucky, it's more along the lines of Vietnam and the Alamo.

ok, edit to change that to a rough bowling alley and a woman's mud wrestling match.
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 6268
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby duder9000 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:21 pm

tamarakay wrote:
trilobyte wrote:Once I saw some bonehead go to the trouble of signing up to ePlaya just so he or she could parrot a bunch of comments other people made on a blog post.


Gee Trilo, isn't this awful close to a personal attack?


Thank you! If characterizing the tone of someone's post as "condescending" is a personal attack, then I'd say blatant name-calling most certainly is. (The former situation is especially note-worthy to me since characterizing posts as "snarky" is wholly accepted here.) Where are the 'personal attack' Citizens On Patrol now?

I'm an on-again, off-again lurker (if I post, it's in the prep/tips & tricks section) who has mixed feelings about the lottery, but mostly enjoy reading both sides of the story. The thing that gets me the most riled up, however, is when I see logic clouded by favoritism around here. I've seen well-thought-out posts get double-barrel action from the "regulars" simply because they mistakenly included a hot-button phrase, and therefore the validity of the rest of their apparently went down the toilet.

The hypocrisy in this particular thread is two-fold: what I mentioned above, and also that while this person "bone-headedly" included direct quotes characterizing the so-called "panic", elsewhere it's cute and funny to post panic-themed jpgs and gifs and have a good laugh about it. o.0

The specific way in which things must be presented here in order to "pass muster" seems pretty arbitrary sometimes.
* SparkleSpaz HoboTron 20:12 *
A PSYCHOBILLY SPAZATRONIC HOBO-RIFFIC HONKADELIC WONKYTONK!!!
User avatar
duder9000
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 am
Location: En route

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby lucky420 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:27 pm

Shambala » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:16 pm

I agree lucky, it's more along the lines of Vietnam and the Alamo.
ok, edit to change that to a rough bowling alley and a woman's mud wrestling match.


perfect :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
User avatar
lucky420
 
Posts: 4180
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:47 am
Location: Reno, NV
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby CornMan » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:30 pm

I read the Iraq analogy to be more in the general sense where those who were supposed to know better send us headlong into a quagmire while the masses considered unqualified to know saw it coming. Same could be said for Iran. There will be no winning there either. The analogy is sound if you interpret it as the author originally intended.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
User avatar
CornMan
 
Posts: 882
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:59 pm

duder9000 wrote:I'm an on-again, off-again lurker (if I post, it's in the prep/tips & tricks section) who has mixed feelings about the lottery, but mostly enjoy reading both sides of the story. The thing that gets me the most riled up, however, is when I see logic clouded by favoritism around here. I've seen well-thought-out posts get double-barrel action from the "regulars" simply because they mistakenly included a hot-button phrase, and therefore the validity of the rest of their apparently went down the toilet.

So, why the fuck don't you answer those logical posts with encouragement and thoughtful criticism, perhaps champion them to the regulars, instead of throwing stones at the hornet's nest?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37433
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby lemur » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

as the most 'regular' user here on eplaya, crypto.. i think you need to share with us some of your tips on getting a propper poop..

Image

im guessing youre a type 4 every time...
Don't link to anything here!
User avatar
lemur
 
Posts: 3599
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm
Location: Madagascar
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Less this more nipple buffing.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby duder9000 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
duder9000 wrote:I'm an on-again, off-again lurker (if I post, it's in the prep/tips & tricks section) who has mixed feelings about the lottery, but mostly enjoy reading both sides of the story. The thing that gets me the most riled up, however, is when I see logic clouded by favoritism around here. I've seen well-thought-out posts get double-barrel action from the "regulars" simply because they mistakenly included a hot-button phrase, and therefore the validity of the rest of their apparently went down the toilet.

So, why the fuck don't you answer those logical posts with encouragement and thoughtful criticism, perhaps champion them to the regulars, instead of throwing stones at the hornet's nest?


If a number of people haven't already beat me to it, I do. I time-waste on another website (guilty redditor here, r/shittingadvice anyone?) and my active eplaya-ing happens beginning in April when my personal building/planning really takes off. By the time I happen over here to eplaya to see the haps on the craps, things have usually ran their course and my personal opinion has been reflected in bits and pieces throughout the thread. Like I said, I get more into posting on the resources (if I can find something helpful to say, most folks on there are way more advanced than me), but my enjoyment in the front end office-cooler topics is more of a step-back-and-take-it-all-in enjoyment. Different strokes for different folks.

In this case, I stopped by to observe people's discussions on this ticket drawing, read through a bunch of threads, had an observation, discovered it hadn't already been said, and said it. As a semi-lurker I'm less able to participate as it happens, but that in turn allows me to have a broader viewpoint. Just two different experiences; I think both roles are valuable. I think my sparser meta-commentary has a place just as the more conversational-commentary does.

You're also assuming, by using the metaphor "throwing stones at the hornet's nest", that I believe "regulars" are either good or bad all the time. I've seen some regulars on here have, imo, a brilliant poignant comment on one thread, and then, imo, lash out irrationally on another thread. I've seen some regulars who are always snarky or always a peacemaker etc etc. Just how cultures/people work. I'm sure at one time or another everyone has been in need of taking a step back and seeing the forest for the trees.

I've seen folks double-barrel things I disagree with AND agree with, I guess I care more not about any one specific point anyone made, just that reactionary missiles have been happening in general.

(EDITED TO SAY: haha, I had this post sitting on my screen for awhile, and in the meantime Lemur posted the Bristol poop chart, at the same time I was writing about r/shittingadvice - are there other r/shittingadvice crossovers here besides me?!)
* SparkleSpaz HoboTron 20:12 *
A PSYCHOBILLY SPAZATRONIC HOBO-RIFFIC HONKADELIC WONKYTONK!!!
User avatar
duder9000
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 am
Location: En route

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 pm

duder9000 wrote:I've seen folks double-barrel things I disagree with AND agree with, I guess I care more not about any one specific point anyone made, just that reactionary missiles have been happening in general.

Wow. Maybe everybody's a bit stressed out.


No, couldn't be that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37433
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby Saguache » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:46 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Less this more nipple buffing.


+1 nipple buffing
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
User avatar
Saguache
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby International Incident » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:49 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
duder9000 wrote:I'm an on-again, off-again lurker (if I post, it's in the prep/tips & tricks section) who has mixed feelings about the lottery, but mostly enjoy reading both sides of the story. The thing that gets me the most riled up, however, is when I see logic clouded by favoritism around here. I've seen well-thought-out posts get double-barrel action from the "regulars" simply because they mistakenly included a hot-button phrase, and therefore the validity of the rest of their apparently went down the toilet.

So, why the fuck don't you answer those logical posts with encouragement and thoughtful criticism, perhaps champion them to the regulars, instead of throwing stones at the hornet's nest?



I heart you fishy!

And you as well Trilo
User avatar
International Incident
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:05 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby duder9000 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
duder9000 wrote:I've seen folks double-barrel things I disagree with AND agree with, I guess I care more not about any one specific point anyone made, just that reactionary missiles have been happening in general.

Wow. Maybe everybody's a bit stressed out.


No, couldn't be that.


Oh, I thought there was nothing to be stressed about. Are people panicking? Should I be panicking?
* SparkleSpaz HoboTron 20:12 *
A PSYCHOBILLY SPAZATRONIC HOBO-RIFFIC HONKADELIC WONKYTONK!!!
User avatar
duder9000
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 am
Location: En route

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby Elorrum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:43 pm

I was doing fine and not worrying but latest news has given me doubts. I'm thinking about plan b vacations with similar self reliance models and camping too. I've been choosing Burning Man, maybe this year, I'll see if it chooses me.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 4476
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby pink » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:07 am

PANIC!!!!

Nah, I think I'd rather have my nipples buffed.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:30 am
Location: sacramento
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby knowmad » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:39 am

Mix together:
A drunk Irish priest (can be from Boston or Ireland as long as he's drunk)
A shirtcocker.
Two vegans, male and female allow them to bring a bit of birdseed or they'll faint.
A snarkel-pony.
And a hooker.

Reaction:
if no reaction swap out hooker with a Nun. If there is still no reaction add a young boy.

Note: while it is fully possible that your shirtcocker and your priest are one and the same. Your hooker and Nun should not be. You can also sub baccon for vegans.
............................................Image...........................................
Oh yeah, this year I was totally twerping out at the fence. ~Lonesombri
User avatar
knowmad
 
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:33 pm
Location: Puget Sound
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 09-11 Specialist Clan
12 BWS BDV/DPB

Re: Most Ridiculous Reactions

Postby A Jester » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:20 am

To me the craziest is still the people that flipped out before the system was even fully announced.

Saying things like "I won't know until July if I have a ticket when I registered in December." It's like they read every fourth word.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm


Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests