Update: Falling in Love at Burning Man

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Update: Falling in Love at Burning Man

Postby OatmealMama » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:19 pm

I finally did it.

I left my default life to be with the man I really love. It is a slow process, but we are closer to being a "real" couple.

We met in July 2010 and attended 2010 BM together. He attended 2011 without me, but we're headed back TOGETHER in 2012!
OatmealMama

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Envy-NOT the 1 on the Playa! - MRAC

Re: Update: Falling in Love at Burning Man

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 pm

OatmealMama wrote:I finally did it.

I left my default life to be with the man I really love. It is a slow process, but we are closer to being a "real" couple.

We met in July 2010 and attended 2010 BM together. He attended 2011 without me, but we're headed back TOGETHER in 2012!

Congratulations! I know the feeling. I also changed my life in the past year and am now with my love who I met at BM in 2008. If you look at my icon, it's a picture of me standing under the roses we built together for our wedding day on the playa this fall. I wrote about this on the orginal thread you have now updated. Good luck and best wishes to you and yours. It can and does happen! We are proof positive.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:11 pm

That is beautiful! It gives one hope :)

Postby zer0mass » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Congragulations OatmealMama! I went home for the first time last year and learned that I was missing my best friend and love of my life so this year she is coming with me.
zer0mass

Postby OatmealMama » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:51 am

zer0mass wrote:Congragulations OatmealMama! I went home for the first time last year and learned that I was missing my best friend and love of my life so this year she is coming with me.

YaY! Where are you camping? We have a theme camp near 3:00 and K (not sure yet!) Check us out on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Welcome-to-Camp-WooP-WooP/218918698188438?ref=ts
OatmealMama

Postby OatmealMama » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:55 am

Dr Helix wrote:
OatmealMama wrote:I finally did it.

Congratulations! I know the feeling. I also changed my life in the past year and am now with my love who I met at BM in 2008. If you look at my icon, it's a picture of me standing under the roses we built together for our wedding day on the playa this fall. I wrote about this on the orginal thread you have now updated. Good luck and best wishes to you and yours. It can and does happen! We are proof positive.

Dr...here's a picture of our playa wedding:
Attachments
MammothBM#2 352 #2.JPG
Our Wedding
MammothBM#2 352 #2.JPG (24.47 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
OatmealMama

Postby OatmealMama » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Yes...BM brings loves together. You are proof!
OatmealMama

Postby OatmealMama » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:13 pm

[quote="MisaBlue"]That is beautiful! It gives one hope :)[/quote]

I am so glad! We all have someone for us out there...somewhere.
OatmealMama

Postby ranger magnum » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:39 pm

So glad to hear!

Same thing happened to me. A long time friend met me on playa in 07. We really connected, and decided that we needed to be together. I was married at the time, but the emotional pull to my friend was too much. My divorce was nasty (as one could expect), but its finally over, and my girl and I are happily living together and planning our future.

Burningman brought us together, and now we celebrate our anniversary each year on playa.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby OatmealMama » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:42 am

[quote="ranger magnum"]So glad to hear!

Same thing happened to me. A long time friend met me on playa in 07. We really connected, and decided that we needed to be together. I was married at the time, but the emotional pull to my friend was too much. My divorce was nasty (as one could expect), but its finally over, and my girl and I are happily living together and planning our future.

Burningman brought us together, and now we celebrate our anniversary each year on playa.[/quote]

I hope to hear an update from you!?

My playa honey and I are still going strong! :)
OatmealMama

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:54 pm

Update: life is fucking grand! We got married on playa this year (ok, well last year 2013) on tuesday. We had a small gathering about 100 yards off the man. It was epic! So every year we get to spend our anniversary on playa.
ranger magnum

Postby maryanimal » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:36 pm

So, I have a question to those who were married and left their spouses. Was your marriage in disrepair when you decided to get divorced and if so, why didn't you divorce before you "met the one on the playa". btw, congrats on meeting that one person, your yin to his/her yang! I love a good love story! one day I may meet my knight in dusty armor! *HA* :lol:
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Its a long story.....
ranger magnum

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:05 pm

I'll share a bit of mine. I wasn't in a "bad" marriage. We had been together for over twenty years, liked each other and were raising two children. But I wasn't in love. Really had never been. I accepted that and let it go, but it was working on me. I found interests to take up my time but they didn't make me happy. Then I went to Burning Man and met the love of my life. Let me be clear on this; I could have met her in a dozen other places and still the connection, the love would have happened. I didn't need the Burn to know how I felt about her. And when I got home, everything started to change in my outlook. She live far away so we could only correspond or telephone. And you would think after the glow of being together, that our feeling might fade. But they didn't. They grew stronger and stronger. And I knew that no amount of "work" was going to change how I felt. I began to feel more anxious every day. I drank a lot to mask my feelings. It became almost impossible to exist normally. I knew I had speak out, to be honest, and not to lie anymore. So I did and it was hell. Most of my friends disowned me, and I could see how much I had hurt my children. There were some very dark days. The divorce was hard but my ex worked with me towards a fair end. My kids are still not happy. I work very hard to make sure they know that I love them but they have circled around their mother. I get that. So of course the question must be asked; was it worth it? And I will answer with an emphatic YES! We were married two years ago and after a year she has immigrated to be with me in the States. I have never been happier. I wake up every day knowing how lucky I was to find true love. It isn't perfect but I continue to find ways back into my children's hearts. And they can see that their dad is happy. And there you have it. Today is our second anniversary. I am 58 years old. And I am blessed.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby maryanimal » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:58 pm

wow...thank you for sharing. I empathize with you. happy anniversary!!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby MacGlenver » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:17 pm

Dr Helix wrote:I'll share a bit of mine. I wasn't in a "bad" marriage. We had been together for over twenty years, liked each other and were raising two children. But I wasn't in love. Really had never been. I accepted that and let it go, but it was working on me. I found interests to take up my time but they didn't make me happy. Then I went to Burning Man and met the love of my life. Let me be clear on this; I could have met her in a dozen other places and still the connection, the love would have happened. I didn't need the Burn to know how I felt about her. And when I got home, everything started to change in my outlook. She live far away so we could only correspond or telephone. And you would think after the glow of being together, that our feeling might fade. But they didn't. They grew stronger and stronger. And I knew that no amount of "work" was going to change how I felt. I began to feel more anxious every day. I drank a lot to mask my feelings. It became almost impossible to exist normally. I knew I had speak out, to be honest, and not to lie anymore. So I did and it was hell. Most of my friends disowned me, and I could see how much I had hurt my children. There were some very dark days. The divorce was hard but my ex worked with me towards a fair end. My kids are still not happy. I work very hard to make sure they know that I love them but they have circled around their mother. I get that. So of course the question must be asked; was it worth it? And I will answer with an emphatic YES! We were married two years ago and after a year she has immigrated to be with me in the States. I have never been happier. I wake up every day knowing how lucky I was to find true love. It isn't perfect but I continue to find ways back into my children's hearts. And they can see that their dad is happy. And there you have it. Today is our second anniversary. I am 58 years old. And I am blessed.

Thank you very much for sharing. I'm going through something similar (though less extreme). Nice to hear some encouragement to stay the course :). I'll give you a big hug if I see you on the playa this year.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby ranger magnum » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Ok well I've got some time......

Leah and i knew each other prior to my marriage, and were good friends. As a matter of fact, I'd always had a thing for her. Anyway, in 07, we were having lunch, and I was telling her about my upcoming trip to Burningman. She expressed an interest, and said she would love to go. So I explained where we were camping, and how the city is laid out. She said she couldn't get there until Wednesday, as she had work. I left on Sunday, and told her I'd see her later in the week.

Well sure enough, she showed up on Wednesday. After she acquainted herself with the rest of our camp mates, we made dinner and prepared for a night in the city. As the sun rose, and in the middle of some deep conversations, I told her how I felt about her. She replied she felt the same. We spent the rest of the trip together.

Once we got home, we had to decide what we were going to do. I had to decide what I was going to do.

I had known for a long time I married the wrong person. And like Dr. Helix, let it go, and resolved myself to make it work. But I couldn't let the feelings go that I had experienced on Playa. Surely I couldn't feel like that in the default world....

Or could I?

We continued our friendship, and tried to ignore the feelings that were building up between us. But after a few months, we decided that ignoring those feelings wasn't going to work. So I had to tell my wife.

The ensuing shit storm was epic. I lost all of our mutual friends. My parents were beside themselves. I tried to explain it to my mom, but she wouldn't even hear me. The divorce was nasty. Since we had a son, the custody battle was also huge. My visitation was limited, and I had to move out. It was my house, but since I dropped a bomb on my wife, and effectively destroyed my family, I figured it was the least I could or should do. So I couched surfed, and stayed with Leah. This went on for about 6 months, until my now ex wife moved out, and took my son with her.

After the divorce, things settled down, and Leah moved in with me. I was destroyed financially, and had to pretty much start over. The divorce, coupled with the economic downturn, just about did me in. The only upside was that my settlement to her was based on my current earnings at that time. Still, it was a hefty check to write....

Another court battle got me the custody I was after, and we were finally able to move forward.

To this day the ex won't speak to me, even though she remarried quickly, and had several more children. While I am ok with it, I am sure our son is wondering what's happening, and that it will have a negative effect on him.

Was it worth it? Yes. But my actions hurt someone I cared about, and I feel bad about that. Still, I am much happier with Leah, and I think that had I stayed in my marriage it would have ended anyway at a later time.
ranger magnum

Return to Experiences at Burning Man