bay area virgin burner

bay area virgin burner

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:38 pm

HELLO all brothers and sisters!

i first need to apologize for not registering on these boards sooner. I have lurked every once and a while but never actually created an account. I often post on the web forum shroomery.org.

i feel guilty joining for the initial intention to find a ticket. but i know there is a lot more in store

well anyways i live in santa cruz, CA atm and i used to live in the southbay. I know a few people affiliated with camp ? i was going to go last year but my plans were too last minute and i wanted to go with a group of friends. i had a vision of myself being there this year with the people i love

regardless
i never figured that going to burning man would be such a hassle.

so just wanted to say watsup and introduce myself. my username is catboosh but in real life i go by Pai, pronounced pie, its my last name and its just what ive gotten titled

(p.s. i found someone offering 600 for a ticket, i told him thats far too steep right?)
"Reality is a juxtaposition of beauty and bullshit, sometimes you gotta wade through the bullshit to see the beauty, and the other times the beauty you see is just full of shit."
catboosh

Re: bay area virgin burner

Postby JDCookMS » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Hey Pai,

Welcome to eplaya as a registered user! Make certain that you read the survival guide, located at: http://www.burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/ In regards to the $600 ticket, the Pre-Sale was the most costly ticket and it was only $420, so whoever is wanting you to buy that ticket is going to make a nice bit of change on his investment...if the ticket is even real. In fact, is he is saying that he has a physical ticket in his possession, then he is lying, because tickets won't be mailed until June. You can read all about the tickets at: http://tickets.burningman.com/

Anyways, welcome to eplaya and I'll see you on the playa.
JDCookMS

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi catboosh!

Getting ready for Burning Man is indeed the aforementioned hassle. The best hassle I've ever loved, and practically an art form, but a hassle nonetheless.

You may find it a lot easier to get to Burning Man if you accept that it is in many a person's nature to flake out around June. Sometimes the ones we love are not emotionally or financially ready to Burn, so--make those plans with friends if you can, but have a contingency plan so that you can come alone and make some friends while you're there.

You might also like to meet some locals. Click "Regionals" at the top right of the main site, and narrow in on the map. This may help you find fellow travelers. Those who have been before are a little less likely to chicken out. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey JDCookMS

im pretty sure he is not lying because he told me he was going to receive the tickets by mail in a few months.

i had told him the prices listed and that there is one more sale in march. and he since he is getting the hard copy tickets in the mail in a few months anyway so he said i should try to get tickets during the march sale and he will hold on to the ones he has and i can buy those off him.

sounds legit to me.
maybe i can convince him to lower it to 500. i am open to trades and negotiations but he did not seem willing

anyways thanks for the welcome
"Reality is a juxtaposition of beauty and bullshit, sometimes you gotta wade through the bullshit to see the beauty, and the other times the beauty you see is just full of shit."
catboosh

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

catboosh wrote:i was going to go last year but my plans were too last minute and i wanted to go with a group of friends. i had a vision of myself being there this year with the people i love

No expectations...

but in real life i go by Pai, pronounced pie

Great, we have multiple new pies/pis/pais
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:31 pm

yeah Savannah i can definitely agree with that,

I was going to go with my friend last year but i had planned other shows and had other obligations. He managed to go alone but had a blast and met a lot of new cool interesting friends. This year i plan to go and schedule my summer better.

:D
catboosh

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 pm

sorry if insulted you theCryptofishist...
catboosh

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Don't stress, Pai. We just have another new person named Payam ("Pie-yum") nicknamed Piehole, and other configurations. :)

There's always room for more π !

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:40 pm

Sorry. I have a dry sense of humor that can be hard to get used to. And really you'll be hearing "no expectations" for the next six months, and more. It's a solid reason.
And it's not your fault that another pie (I"m uncertain of the spelling) signed up in the last few days.
I was not insulted, not in the least.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:46 pm

its all good, no ill intentions taken.

i dont mind being referred to as catboosh on the boards. but in real life i go by Pai, it is my last name that was coined a nickname when i moved up to northern california 8 years ago
catboosh

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Catboosh, welcome to eplaya!

500 or even 600 for 2 tickets is a good deal! Honestly, 500 for one ticket is Bull shit.
Wait for the March sale, then if you don't get a ticket, start searching for one. I have a feeling that this year there will be even more 'second hand' ticket sales, since people will buy tickets in January just because of the lottery, even if they don't know they're going yet.

catboosh wrote:Hey JDCookMS

im pretty sure he is not lying because he told me he was going to receive the tickets by mail in a few months.

i had told him the prices listed and that there is one more sale in march. and he since he is getting the hard copy tickets in the mail in a few months anyway so he said i should try to get tickets during the march sale and he will hold on to the ones he has and i can buy those off him.

sounds legit to me.
maybe i can convince him to lower it to 500. i am open to trades and negotiations but he did not seem willing

anyways thanks for the welcome
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:01 pm

yeah hes asking 600 for 1 ticket :cry:

but i will try the march 28th ticket sale. he said he would hold my ticket until then if i do not get it.

not bad!

hopefully i get it for 420 at the march 28th sale
catboosh

Postby Kevinochi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:47 pm

catboosh wrote:yeah hes asking 600 for 1 ticket :cry:

but i will try the march 28th ticket sale. he said he would hold my ticket until then if i do not get it.

not bad!

hopefully i get it for 420 at the march 28th sale

Hya Catboosh! Me and my friend don't have tickets as of yet either and we'll be gunning for that march sale just like you. Don't worry and keep that motivitation burning. 10.000 Tickets is not a whole lot but it's not nothing either... Make sure you're ready at your computer to start purchasing the minute they release them.

Good luck and hopefully we'll see you there :D
Waffles taste better slightly burned...
Kevinochi

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:59 pm

thanks for the support!

i really appreciate it
catboosh

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Hey guys I'm gonna tell you a little secret, but you have to keep it between us!
So just a bit of history from last year, tickets opening sales went off just fine, a minor hitch but no biggie. Tickets on the after market, or used tickets, or 'open sale market' how ever you want to say "tickets that people bought then needed to sell" for what ever reason was going along great at either face value+shipping, facevalue, or less than face value.

Then tickets sold out! Everyone FREAKED THE FUCK OUT.... for two weeks, then two weeks later, the open market sale got back to how it was.
Jump to now,
Last year tickets sold out, so this year people are signing up early to get tickets, and probably more than they need- out of panic. But, just like every year, a lot of things change and people find out they own a ticket they either can't use or don't need. There will be a ton of after market ticket sales. Burning Man is a pretty high priority on my to do list every year, same with a lot of people, but if I loose my job first thing to go is Burning Man. If I move to a new job I wont get vacation time. If I have a baby, you bet that 1,500 bucks isn't going to be spent on me going to the desert. If I get really hurt I probably can't make it.
I wouldn't jump to the conclusion of buying a 420 ticket just yet.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:21 pm

There will be a secure online system for Burner to Burner sales at face value, as well as a March sale ($390 + s/h).

Savannah

Postby catboosh » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:48 pm

great share illy dilly, i just need to be patient and keep posting on craigslist and wait till march 28th!
catboosh

Postby jkisha » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby piehole » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Hey Pai, Piehole here.

We are one in the same. My friends have been calling me Pie since the 7th grade.

Welcome to eplaya :D
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby catboosh » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:25 pm

HA

what do you know!?

nice to you meet you piehole!

i received my nickname at the beginning of 8th grade when i moved from southern california to northern california.

pai is my last name however.

but thanks for all the greetings!
catboosh

Postby piehole » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:27 pm

:)

I got mine from moving to southern california from northern california.

See you on the playa PAIFACE
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Return to Introduce Yourself!