Cost of Decomposed Gravel (GD) , for burn scar shield?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Cost of Decomposed Gravel (GD) , for burn scar shield?

Postby Stickygreen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 pm

I am in the early stages of planning a project for this years burn, and our group has to make a decision..

either we build our sculpture, disassemble it, and bring it home at the end of the festival, OR we burn it on the playa.

I have read allot of the info pertaining to burn scars on the playa, and how to construct a burn scar shield, or even how to burn your project without making your own burn scar shield, utilizing other people burn scan shields (the man) But what i need to know is what is the cost of the decomposed gravel for the burn scan shield. As with any BM project, Budget plays a huge factor in the decision making process, as we are in the early stages of the planning i would like to have some numbers to present to our group so we can make an informed decision. I got a reply from Dave X about DG and burn scar shields, but his answer was of little use as it didn't have any numbers for me, basically he told me to submit the art proposal, then the team that deals with burn scars would get in touch.... well that's not really a very good answer as submitting an art project proposal is time and labour consuming, so making a decision to burn or not to burn now is better for us, and everyone else involved.

In order to make this decision i want to know how much does it cost to have the decomposed gravel (DG) for a burn scar shield delivered and removed, I read on the BM site there is a deposit required, but no mention of cost per sq' or anything..? I want numbers.

Does anyone on eplaya have experience with getting DG from the ORG, for there project, and burning an art project on playa? we are thinking the size of our piece would be about 10' x 10' and about 1500 lbs. it would be to large to carry over to the mans burn scar shield, and to large to deconstruct to burn in a bin, so it's either burn in place, or build it so it's removable, and bring it home.. this decision will influence the entire build and process of the project, so making an informed decision now is important to us.

any help...
)'(
Stickygreen

Re: Cost of Decomposed Gravel (GD) , for burn scar shield?

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm

you need only call a few landscaping and aggregate companies in the Reno area, to get your answer.
it will vary.
and, it's "Decomposed Granite", not gravel, though, it's sort of like gravel.
just so you ask for the right thing.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:46 pm

It will cost less than you think.

The DG is recycled from previous years, and delivered and removed by services provided through the Artery.

You will have to make a commitment to clean it up after you burn on it as well as quite a few other commitments if you choose to burn it where it stands.

There are a LOT of other factors involved also if you are gonna burn it onsite, as you will see when you submit your form for placement of the piece.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Token » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 pm

Doesn't the BMORG provide this service. Have no clue if there is a cost involved but we waited for the DPW to deliver the DG back in 08 for our sanctioned project.

Just curious here, I was a working man (tm) back in 08.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:27 pm

You got it Token, quite a bit less than you think is what I actually meant.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:21 pm

that's cool that the ORG will provide it.
I suppose it ensures, the right stuff is used.
It's not like it'd be scarce out there.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Stickygreen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:59 am

Yes I'm aware the BORG provides the DG for the burn scar shields, I just want to know a dollar figure, for a line item i can put into my proposed budgets....

$100

$1,000

if it's less than i think, then I can't tell, cause I'm not dumb enough to think i know the answer..... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the info one eye.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby chiefdanfox » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 am

Trojan Horse DG pile was 6-8" deep, and something like 40 X 80 feet $1,200,deposit was $100, = $1,300 It might have been 30 X 60, but it was 6-8" deep.
chiefdanfox

Postby Risky » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:12 pm

The Org charged The Temple of Transition 2011 $3000 for DG.

And it was recycled.
The DG from the CORE and Man burns were moved to the Temple.

Good Luck on your grant proposal, Sticky.
I am curious to hear more about your project.
Risky

Postby Stickygreen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info guys, I was also contacted via PM, All the numbers are adding up, I can kind of make sense of the formula of height, weight, and depth of DG, dump truck loads to sq' of coverage....

Most importantly I think it's gonna cost us about $500, that's what i needed to present to my team tomorrow.

the numbers have been very helpful. Thanks.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:50 pm

As I recall back in 2000 when we started this bullshit the raw cost from the quarry at Spanish Springs north of Sparks was around $8/yard, plus $375 for trucking 40 yards. It's basically overburden that they remove to get at fresher granite that they blast and crush for road and concrete aggregate.

No idea how the art services people charge on their part these days, or about recycling.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to 2012 Art & Performance