Man Clothes

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Man Clothes

Postby Saguache » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:27 pm

My first burn was 2010 and I wasn't prepared with costumes or even anything that might actually hint at style. But I was impresses by what I saw and even made attempts to alter on the playa what I had so I could feel part of the crowd. One thing I did notice is that my sporty-utilitarian technical clothing (what I wear the other 52 weeks) didn't really fit in at all. Also, with the exception of a couple of cool LED suits at night and a few paired costumes I noticed that most males really didn't dress up as well as the women.

:roll: Youre rolling your eyes now I'm sure, but it's true. Women just seem to know what they're doing here. They've got both the garments and the skill to pull off something truely attractive and unique.

A lot of what BM is to me is finding situations where I know I'll be uncomfortable or out of my depth and diving in without testing the water. This year I want to dress up when I go out. I need some help to pull it off.

Suggestions, themes, ideas that go beyond the stale -- what have you got?
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Re: Man Clothes

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:54 pm

I imagine it would be hard to break free from default world expectations of what a man should look like after years of training.

Costume Camps would help you on-site, but to bring your own stuff would be great, wouldn't it? So, some stuff to ask yourself . . . (you don't have think about or answer all of these):

Whose style do you admire?
What characters in movies have you wanted to dress like?
What era do you think was especially awesome for men's clothes?
What items of women's or unisex clothes might you be interested in? Tutus, kilts, skirts and sarongs are especially unisex. :)
Did you find anything physically stifling last year about your clothes?

Were any of your clothes inadequate for the cold?
Were your hats, bags, goggles adequate to the task? (If not, you can start fresh & coordinate these 3 things to actually go together.)
What colors do you like? What colors do you look good in?
Are there colors you want to wear more of, if no one would judge?
What fabrics make you wanna touch them when you see them? Fishnet, velvet, lamé, leather, silk?

Don't feel like you have to wear a Burner costume, per se. No one wants to see someone wearing something he hates or doesn't connect with.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jscott26 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:05 pm

My favorite outfit idea (from John Halcyon):

If you were a superhero how would you dress?
jscott26

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:16 pm

I like it that your first post is about clothes (and it's good). :) That doesn't happen often enough. The clothes part, I mean.

(If you want your own thread in Introduce Yourself, you certain may.)
Savannah

Postby kittyrodriguez » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:19 pm

While I completely understand the desire to fit in, that really is the beauty of Burning Man. You don't need to fit in!

It is your chance to dress and be exactly what you want to be and look like. Think about movies and heroes you like now or from your childhood. What about exotic locations you've been to or want to go to? Heck, if you have always wanted to be a mongolian sheephearder, Burning Man can be your chance, sans sheep.

I love India and its culture, and BM gave me the opportunity to finally wear the lovely saris I brought back.

Besides, if all else fails, go nude! :lol:
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby happydragon » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 am

jscott26 wrote:My favorite outfit idea (from John Halcyon):

Halcyon isn't a super hero?
happydragon

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:26 am

I imagine he already dresses like the one he would be. :)
Savannah

Postby JDCookMS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:30 am

I have to admit, I love his pink hair...every time I see it, it makes me smile. ....and I might watch a couple of the hugnation videos every week.... :|
JDCookMS

Postby Packoderm » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:13 am

If you wanted to spend money, you can have fun with it easily. You could get this full body jumpsuit, take a black marking pen, and draw the cuts of meat. Put horns on. Maybe do something for the face. You then have one costume. One down, six to go.

(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby shykat » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:52 am

kittyrodriguez wrote:While I completely understand the desire to fit in, that really is the beauty of Burning Man. You don't need to fit in!

Kitty- It's easy to say that the event is non judging...I think Tamarakay said in another thread she was judged for not making an art bike and wearing khaki shorts.
Yeah, i see alot of showing off at the event and think its healty. You know, that whole next year i am going build some art ,bigger and better and im going make my own clothes or maybe wear a tutu, cuase i liked how that guy i saw this year looked in one.

I learned not to give a shit a while back so i wear what feels nice... my wife's old sorongs.

There are styles at BM.

I love the the gypsy girls.....
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:49 am

I know at least one project will be looking for men dressed as stockbrokers.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:52 am

If you don't fit in at Burning Man, then you win.
If you look like everyone else then you don't belong.
Win by losing and lose by winning.
Got it?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 am

As others have suggested…. stop thinking in stereotypes. Who cares what men wear? Who cares what women wear? Who cares what other people wear on the playa?

Focus on what would make you happy. Maybe that's girly stuff like dressing in drag or just playa-riffic frilliness (tutus and whatnot). Maybe that's boy stuff (a cowboy, an astronaut, a pirate). You've already seen from experience the practical side (how hot it gets during the day, and how cold it gets at night), and you've got a decent idea of how far other people push the limits. Now let your imagination run wild, and see what ideas you think would be the most fun.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:11 am

aerialmonster wrote:
jscott26 wrote:My favorite outfit idea (from John Halcyon):

Halcyon isn't a super hero?

You obviously didn't read the "furry pink man" comics as a kid. I like his look but, its his look and it may not work on someone else.

I was thinking about wrapping my whole body in duct tape, ripping it off, & turning it inside out for a Bigfoot costume.

Yes, I am a hairy monkey.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby SaritaSyrah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 am

I am SO GLAD that I read this thread. Thusfar my costume planning has been along the lines of "yeah, burners would like that." Instead of "Gosh, I love that!"

From now on, forget what you people like. Im pleasing myself. :wink:
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 am

trilobyte wrote:Focus on what would make you happy.

Ugly Dougly

Postby SaritaSyrah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:00 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:

WOWZA! What a gorgeous photo.
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Postby remi » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am

SaritaSyrah wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

WOWZA! What a gorgeous photo.

Hahah.. SaritaSyrah.. it almost looks like it could be you!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby CornMan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:47 am

I didn't what to go there, but we'll go there. If a young lady is in good shape and she's pretty, she can just wear slutty clothes showing lots of skin, put something in her hair such as raccoon ears or something, and she's good to go. It's harder for plus sized women, and you'll often see them wearing pedestrian clothes on the playa. Even then is it much easier to find outrageous, colorful/glittery/shimmery/furry clothing in the women's department than men's clothes. A young man in good shape has it much easier than a plus sized man as well. A young man in shape with a nice sun tan can just go without a shirt, wear a painted hardhat or something, and he's stylin'. He will fit in easily and be welcome one of those big art cars. An older, plus sized man wearing the same outfit looks like he's not trying.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby SaritaSyrah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

[quote=
Hahah.. SaritaSyrah.. it almost looks like it could be you![/quote]

You guys are just so good for the self-confidence. Thank you. :D
BURN SHIT!
SaritaSyrah

Postby A Jester » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 pm

To repeat the parts I liked from other people's posts:

Don't spent two hot seconds worrying about how you look to other people. Find some AWESOME clothes that you think kick ass. Wear them: be rad. You'll find someone who also thinks they are bad ass. That is your new best friend for the next hour, week, or lifetime.

Oh yeah, try to make sure they're kind functional.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby Saguache » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Wow, that's what I get for posting late at night and then letting said post stew a bit without checking up. Some great responses here and I really appreciate what you guys have to say.

Its probably important to clarify that my style is all about utility. This is a summary of what my partner said to me while talking about it this morning. So, basically I don't have a style. Or perhaps I don't have a style that's conducive to joining in most of the parties that are going to be going on at the playa. An example, something I'm proud of, of the utility bent is my van. I've been working on this since 2009 and it more or less reflects my attitude and the things I tend to admire.

Savannah asked some very pointed questions way up there.

Savannah wrote:Whose style do you admire?
What characters in movies have you wanted to dress like?
What era do you think was especially awesome for men's clothes?

I think I answered the first one above, but I've been thinking about the extensions to this line of query. So I'm a big science and science fiction fan. There are a couple ideas here that I might be able to draw on.

Space suits come in a variety of shapes and styles and it might kind of be fun to wear something like this to a sound camp. Sam Rockwell in "Moon" (before his character starts to die).

or maybe something like the suits worn in "The Red Planet"? I'd be far less likely to blind people and no one could call me dark-wad.

jscott26 wrote:If you were a superhero how would you dress?

The super hero idea is a little trickier. There's not an easy compromise between Batman and your run of the mill handyman is there? If you get too far into the work clothes the Batman bit disappears and too far the Batman direction and you're now holding up signs that say "POW" and "Whammy" periodically.

Maybe something like the Russian Batman?

kittyrodriguez wrote:While I completely understand the desire to fit in, that really is the beauty of Burning Man. You don't need to fit in!

It is your chance to dress and be exactly what you want to be and look like.

But I want to fit in, ha!

kittyrodriguez wrote:I love India and its culture, and BM gave me the opportunity to finally wear the lovely saris I brought back.

Me too, but I'd probably look really ridiculous (perhaps even a little offensive) if I showed up as Asoka.

Bob wrote:I know at least one project will be looking for men dressed as stockbrokers.

Oh, this might be an easy one (even though I'm an engineer.

SaritaSyrah wrote:I am SO GLAD that I read this thread. Thusfar my costume planning has been along the lines of "yeah, burners would like that." Instead of "Gosh, I love that!"

From now on, forget what you people like. Im pleasing myself.

Excellent point, maybe this is the year I get some ink and just take my shirt off? I have to be careful here because most of what I like to wear actually looks very close to what the LEOs wear on and off the playa (clothing with a purpose). In fact that was a problem in 2010, but I can probably do something. Maybe I can find a uniform, wear some combat boots and die the light colors pink. I'll be on patrol, high and tight and gig lines all straight, ensuring the goals of community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance met.

A Jester wrote:Find some AWESOME clothes that you think kick ass. Wear them: be rad.

Not a problem!
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Postby late » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:33 pm

Not everyone that wants to dress up but has a hard time finding stuff is "trying to fit in", most clothes, fashionable or weird, are designed for *insert pc term here for toned 22 year old girl*.

BUT, just because some of us men want to put together different style or such, other than the standard faux fur, it's not necessarily trying to fit in, it's FUN to play dress-up, even for some guys!

I really like the russian batman, but probably rather expensive/difficult and impractical for the daytime... Do it anyway! You can even add a personal swamp cooler style AC to blow cold air in it! If you wanted to of course :)

Not every guy is happy with the standard guy-uniform of jeans and a t-shirt all the time.

You CAN put together a lot of stuff with browsing army surplus stores, vintage ammo holder belts on ebay or at surplus, leather spats and the like are available if you really do want to do something along the lines of post-apocalyptic wear?
late

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 pm

I like the Russian Batman. Flight suits are also awesome. You can get a couple and tear the sleeves off of at least one. Or separate the sleeves but keep them and reattach with garters at night. :) And you can put on some really interesting patches . . .

I also like your idea of wearing something utilitarian in an unexpected color.

Put amusing twists on something you'd already wear--take something you own and attach stuff (securely) until self-amusement is reached. Sometimes you can keep a certain shape or silhouette, but have it be in an unexpected fabric. Or have a truly great coat, you'll get a lot of mileage out of it. Or wear your normal clothes, but have it be all about the accessories . . . matching hat and tall socks . . . animal ears & a tail (it's done a lot, but I always find it hilarious, especially if you normally have a solemn expression).

You can generally wear stuff from a culture that's not yours without offending people, provided you're not playing with your skin tone or altering your facial features into a caricature. There are loads of people who aren't Japanese or Saudi or Pacific Islander making the most of these cultures' hot-weather clothes.

Anyway, you don't have to remake yourself; just become more yourself. Enhance yourself. Yourself on hyperdrive. I think your ideas and instincts are interesting.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby late » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:38 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WC ... JKSMY09R3W

there's a hose attachment. Hook that up to blow into your flightsuit/bodysuit, should cool you down lol
late

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:I didn't what to go there, but we'll go there. If a young lady is in good shape and she's pretty, she can just wear slutty clothes showing lots of skin, put something in her hair such as raccoon ears or something, and she's good to go. It's harder for plus sized women, and you'll often see them wearing pedestrian clothes on the playa. Even then is it much easier to find outrageous, colorful/glittery/shimmery/furry clothing in the women's department than men's clothes. A young man in good shape has it much easier than a plus sized man as well. A young man in shape with a nice sun tan can just go without a shirt, wear a painted hardhat or something, and he's stylin'. He will fit in easily and be welcome one of those big art cars. An older, plus sized man wearing the same outfit looks like he's not trying.

You're saying that it's only okay to show your body if it fits societal standards?

Just express yourself in the way that you see fit and - for the most part - nobody's going to judge you....
Ugly Dougly

Postby CornMan » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote:I didn't what to go there, but we'll go there. If a young lady is in good shape and she's pretty, she can just wear slutty clothes showing lots of skin, put something in her hair such as raccoon ears or something, and she's good to go. It's harder for plus sized women, and you'll often see them wearing pedestrian clothes on the playa. Even then is it much easier to find outrageous, colorful/glittery/shimmery/furry clothing in the women's department than men's clothes. A young man in good shape has it much easier than a plus sized man as well. A young man in shape with a nice sun tan can just go without a shirt, wear a painted hardhat or something, and he's stylin'. He will fit in easily and be welcome one of those big art cars. An older, plus sized man wearing the same outfit looks like he's not trying.

You're saying that it's only okay to show your body if it fits societal standards?

Just express yourself in the way that you see fit and - for the most part - nobody's going to judge you....

No, that's not how I feel at all as far as gender/body size/age goes at all. I was speaking out against that. I think it actually looks more daring for an older or plus sized person to wear freaky clothes. As far as women's clothes goes, I stand by that. Much of what I wore was women's clothes modified for a man. I'd take some kind of women's jacket, rip the sleeves off, and wear that. If you want red satin pants, they'll likely be women's. I bought almost all my stuff at the Goodwill outlet for $1.39 per pound.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 pm

So we're all meeting at the man Wednesday morning at five and we're going to Dress the Man!

Next question: Does the man dress left or right?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jella » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:40 pm

scribbles **meet at man 5 am Wed** into this years notebook
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So we're all meeting at the man Wednesday morning at five and we're going to Dress the Man!

Next question: Does the man dress left or right?

My studies were inconclusive. :shock:

*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Next

Return to Clothing & Playawear