Lightning in a Pineapple

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Lightning in a Pineapple

Postby piehole » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:46 am

I created this drink at Lightning in a Bottle 2011

Recipe & Directons:

Cut pineapple in half, core it and leave some pulpy goodness to marinate in the liquory goodness
(feed the pineapple to your friends or eat it)

Now you want to pour this directly into the pineapple:
Ice
Equal Parts Vodka & Rum
Equal Parts Orange Juice & Strawberry Lemonade
Splash of Ginger Ale
Top off with Blood Orange Soda

It may need some tweaking to get it just right but it is quite delicious.
I plan on making this on the Playa this year, it was a big hit at LiB hopefully it's just as enjoyable at BRC
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Burning Since: 2012

Re: Lightning in a Pineapple

Postby Nipple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:33 am

The insides of pineapples aren't really reflective. You'll need to use more light than you would inside of a hexayurt.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:38 am

piehole wrote:I created this drink at Lightning in a Bottle 2011

Recipe & Directons:

Cut pineapple in half, core it and leave some pulpy goodness to marinate in the liquory goodness
(feed the pineapple to your friends or eat it)

Now you want to pour this directly into the pineapple:
Ice
Equal Parts Vodka & Rum
Equal Parts Orange Juice & Strawberry Lemonade
Splash of Ginger Ale
Top off with Blood Orange Soda

It may need some tweaking to get it just right but it is quite delicious.
I plan on making this on the Playa this year, it was a big hit at LiB hopefully it's just as enjoyable at BRC

These are a few of my favorite things . . .

Sounds fantastic. A mesh bag will be helpful to dry out the fruit remains. (If you don't dry your wet trash first, it'll stink up your vehicle during a long exodus.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tamarakay » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:41 am

Nipple wrote:The insides of pineapples aren't really reflective. You'll need to use more light than you would inside of a hexayurt.

I don't know, maybe some embedded LED's? Arranged like one of the squares on junglesmacks pants? That should do the trick.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby piehole » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:57 am

Nipple wrote:The insides of pineapples aren't really reflective. You'll need to use more light than you would inside of a hexayurt.

I just saw the other thread with the similar thread title, hahahah
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Postby piehole » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:59 am

Savannah wrote:Sounds fantastic. A mesh bag will be helpful to dry out the fruit remains. (If you don't dry your wet trash first, it'll stink up your vehicle during a long exodus.)

Something like this then:

http://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Storage-Assorted-Colors-VZ01211/dp/B001CDD0X8/ref=pd_sim_sg_1

??
piehole

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes, but larger. The largest one of those is just 9" x 9.25". Keep looking, you're on the right track. Heck, if you have a Daiso store in town (Japanese Dollar Store) they have mesh laundry bags for a buck/buck-&-a-half. I bought a small-ish one, but I think they had larger ones. I could probably fit 5 or 6 emptied pineapple rinds in it, one bought with this in mind might permit more. Target or similar might also have a larger mesh multi-purpose bag.

When they're dry as a bone, empty the mesh bags into plastic drawstring bags and re-use the mesh.

I don't have first-hand information as to how well pineapple keeps in that climate. It would be worth looking into, so you can determine whether this drink is a beginning of the week celebration, or a Burn Night revel.
Savannah

Postby remi » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Keeping your garbage in a mesh bag will attract all the bears and mountain lions though!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Certainly all the bears and cougars.
Savannah

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Shouldn't be difficult to find a pineapple punch bowl.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby piehole » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:50 pm

Savannah wrote:Yes, but larger. The largest one of those is just 9" x 9.25". Keep looking, you're on the right track. Heck, if you have a Daiso store in town (Japanese Dollar Store) they have mesh laundry bags for a buck/buck-&-a-half. I bought a small-ish one, but I think they had larger ones. I could probably fit 5 or 6 emptied pineapple rinds in it, one bought with this in mind might permit more. Target or similar might also have a larger mesh multi-purpose bag.

When they're dry as a bone, empty the mesh bags into plastic drawstring bags and re-use the mesh.

I don't have first-hand information as to how well pineapple keeps in that climate. It would be worth looking into, so you can determine whether this drink is a beginning of the week celebration, or a Burn Night revel.

Wow, the burn night revel sounds like an incredible idea. I wonder if I keep them in a cooler packed with ice and check on them every couple days and add ice when necessary, they would be okay, but what do I know, i'm a bottom bitch virgin :\
piehole

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Well, if it's any comfort, I don't know how to keep pineapple fresh in the desert, just off the top of my head, but I do like to google. :D

Looks like fancy pineapple drinks might be a "Meet the Neighbors" kinda thing--but you could also set one or two pineapples aside and see how well they do later in the week, as an experiment.

Fresh pineapple is quite perishable. It bruises easily in spite of its seemingly armored exterior and will ferment if kept at room temperature for too long. If storing at room temperature, use within two days.

Storing at room temperature will increase the acidity level of the pineapple, but will not improve sweetness. You can extend the lifespan to three to five days by refrigerating the whole pineapple in a perforated plastic bag.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/foodsto ... lestor.htm

Exposure to cooler melt would hasten degradation, so I think the trick would be buying fresh pineapple in the last big city you encounter, keeping it cool & dry up out of any water, and serving it early. Drinks on Monday or Tuesday could use the bases as a cup. If serving two people who are friendly, you could poke two straws in it. You could store remaining (cut) pineapple in an airtight container in a nice cold cooler, and put a spear of pineapple in future drinks. A cold, fruity drink is a great treat out there, even if you serve it to people in their own cups (which they should always have on them).

Don't be too disappointed about serving early, if you decide to play it safe. What better way to make friends than to bartend?

(Actually, the only better way is by helping neighbors in need of a hand with their hammering or knot-tying, then drinks.)
Savannah

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 pm

More efficient use might be as goblet garnish.

I prefer dried pineapple, really.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby piehole » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Savannah wrote:(Actually, the only better way is by helping neighbors in need of a hand with their hammering or knot-tying, then drinks.)

It's pretty easy to become an ordained priest/minister in Nevada right?
piehole

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:58 pm

piehole wrote:
Savannah wrote:(Actually, the only better way is by helping neighbors in need of a hand with their hammering or knot-tying, then drinks.)

It's pretty easy to become an ordained priest/minister in Nevada right?

Don't know where you're going with this, but if you're thinking of doing a wedding, no.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby piehole » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:18 pm

That's where I was going. 8)
piehole

Postby Nipple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:25 pm

I got one of those online ordinations. On my lunch break I like to go to the park and force marriage services on birds.

TAKE THAT SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE.
Nipple

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:34 pm

8Whoops. my poor reading comprehension skills will be the death of me yet.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby JDCookMS » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

piehole wrote:

It doesn't have to be a wedding....it could always be a commitment ceremony. :wink:
JDCookMS

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Nipple wrote:I got one of those online ordinations. On my lunch break I like to go to the park and force marriage services on birds.

TAKE THAT SANCTITY OF MARRIAGE.

YES. :shock:
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:08 pm

JDCookMS wrote:
piehole wrote:

It doesn't have to be a wedding....it could always be a commitment ceremony. :wink:

At which point accredation doesn't matter. Unless it does, I suppose.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Food & Drink