Spiking

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.
BeyondIndigo

Spiking

Post by BeyondIndigo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Ok, I'm sorry if this seems kind of a negative topic to raise, but I am sorta concerned about whether spiking of any kind goes on at BM. I understand that the event organisers do not condone drug use but I am fairly sure some must go on regardless. The thing is, I have never been into drugs, and thousands of miles from anywhere and anyone I know does NOT seem like a sensible time to start,

What I am worried about is, if someone gives you a drink or some food, how do you know it's safe to eat? How do you know those homemade cookies are JUST cookies? And what about drinks, how do you know it's safe to drink?

I don't wanna go along and feel like I'm being a douche by turning down free food and drink which is safe and is offered by people who are just trying to be nice...but at the same time I SO do not want to be out on the playa in the dark and suddenly realise I'm tripping balls.

Ay advice or suggestions about safe eating and drinking would be really appreciated.
Beware the creeping Britishness

ygmir
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Spiking

Post by ygmir » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:04 pm

try here

there are some other threads, too, IIRC.
Last edited by ygmir on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

BeyondIndigo

Post by BeyondIndigo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Thanks ygmir. :)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:41 pm

It does happen, but as the thread notes, highly highly exaggerated. Use your common sense. State that you cannot consume any XYZ and ask if they they are certain it's XYZ free, same as you would do for an allergy. A large food or drink camp is not going to be doing it. Individuals found at large sound camps at night in the crowd, slightly more likely.

The one case I personally know in 8 years was at a large sound camp. Travel with friends, make some online then meet up, or form up a posse when you arrive with like minded participants for exploring the event. Much more fun that way too.

If you are feeling seriously unwell for any reason, most people at Burningman are glad to help out, and there is a whole very experienced infrastructure of (non-law enforcement) Rangers and medical that are not going to make any judgements in keeping participants safe.

Enjoy your experience!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: Dosing via mister bottles...

One of my campmates mixed tequila in with his mister and would spray us down.

I don't think it had the effect he was intending. Though, I did become better with lime.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:14 pm

I've never experienced it, but I don't generally leave my cup lying around unattended when I'm not at camp. I haven't been super paranoid or anything, it's just that if there's a drink in it I usually have it in my hand as I'm drinking, or I'll ask a friend to hold it if I have to use the porta-potty or something.

Sassy Britches

Post by Sassy Britches » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Experience says, be sure to ask if you are offered tasty-looking cookies.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:52 pm

i dont eat food of unknown origin.. and dont ask if stuff is 'safe' cuz well, i dont really trust you, man..... i will accept 'packaged' foods, otherwise i say 'no thanks!'

i have plenty of my own food.. i dont leave my cups out of my protection and.. oh its got a lid on it anyways

i mostly fill my drinks at my camp.. only other bar i get drinks at ive known em for years and tended bar for em, i trust em!

ive never known anyone to mention being dosed.
Don't link to anything here!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm

It's interesting that last year I didn't have a single concern about this. THIS year, my daughter is going, and now I have concerns about this.
It is a sad state of affairs, but I started teaching all my kids (three boys, three girls) about drinks with lids, knowing your food sources etc. since they were in middle school.
Since I plan on having my burn and she's planning on having her burn I just have to trust she retains her common sense. :|
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:36 pm

Like Trilo, I have never experienced any of this myself in 10+ years. Still, you should never let your guard down. I have a lexan cup with a ring drilled in the base so it will hang from my belt. It doesn't sit level when I place it down, so I usually have to hold it. Always be cautious!

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:39 pm

It happens, both through something in the drink and with spray bottles.
A cup with a lid and handle that can be carabinered to your belt. Ask: Are these "special"? Most people are not malicious, and would rather give things to people who actually want to get high. Yeah, it's probably young and cute that are most in danger. (Male and female.) Having a partner is good. having a note with your camp and other information that might be pertinent, in case you can't say what needs to be said. There's also a safe spot to trip under supervision, the Rangers can help get you there. (It's for the use of people who took something they didn't know they'd have an odd reaction too and for the dosed. Don't plan on having baby sitters there, just because you don't know anyone else who will do it for you.)
One thing that the Bureau of Erotic Discourse used to do was the BED Theme Camp Challenge, which consisted of going through a list of things and then putting up a poster that would let participants know that if they got into that kind of trouble, that they would be taken care of at this camp. BED is sort of in hiatus at the moment. The core group is sorta burned out.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Casilias

Post by Casilias » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:42 pm

I think the biggest thing here is verbal communication as someone already stated. "Are these special?" "Is there acid in the stew" "Is this going to f**k me up" are all relevant, reasonable questions to ask. If you get a giggle, wry smile, or wink, you may consider getting your cocktail somewhere else.
It's been a very (very!) seldom occasion that I have encountered anyone who intends on dosing others without the dosee's consent. Typically, that is a very frowned upon practice. Most people just want you to have a good time and if they are imbibing, enjoy sharing what brings them joy. If you don't partake, it's no offense to them.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:17 am

Nipple wrote:I don't think it had the effect he was intending. Though, I did become better with lime.
Lime and salt or just lime?
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:25 am

wh..sh wrote:
Nipple wrote:I don't think it had the effect he was intending. Though, I did become better with lime.
*praying Gods for joke restraint*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 am

ygmir wrote:
wh..sh wrote:
*praying Gods for joke restraint*
unleash the jokes...

-Bob

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:36 am

ygmir wrote: *restraint*
If there's one event that is all about restraint...

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:37 am

[youtube][/youtube]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 am

Just make sure you mark your camp name and address in a visible spot on your person with a Sharpie, fine point or broader.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:44 am

Thought you were talking about tree-spiking on the playa. :shock:

Elderberry
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 am

Spray/Misting Dosing is pretty much a debunked myth. The amount of chemical needed to get someone high from misting would be financially beyond the reach of most people.
Elderberry

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry
Camp Name: Camp Kelly

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 am

Bob wrote:Just make sure you mark your camp name and address in a visible spot on your person with a Sharpie, fine point or broader.
I used to think this advice was silly; I have now come to believe it to be prudent.
Elderberry

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

BeyondIndigo

Post by BeyondIndigo » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Casilias wrote:I think the biggest thing here is verbal communication as someone already stated. "Are these special?" "Is there acid in the stew" "Is this going to f**k me up" are all relevant, reasonable questions to ask. If you get a giggle, wry smile, or wink, you may consider getting your cocktail somewhere else.
It's been a very (very!) seldom occasion that I have encountered anyone who intends on dosing others without the dosee's consent. Typically, that is a very frowned upon practice. Most people just want you to have a good time and if they are imbibing, enjoy sharing what brings them joy. If you don't partake, it's no offense to them.
I dunno, maybe I have a suspicious nature but I wouldn't trust the response. Being open is one thing, being cavalier about your personal safety is another...just my opinion, particularly as I might end up out there alone.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Don't do anything you're not comfortable with. Just because a bunch of people on the internet with wacky assumed names say it's safe, doesn't mean that you have to believe us.
I think that very few people are going to directly give you something and lie about that, but I'll be honest, my husband wouldn't let me take anything. I'm not as stringent, but I'm a somewhat different worldview. I'm not going to say that's a boundary you have to challenge in order to burn "right".
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Savannah
Burning Since: 2025

Post by Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Just be smart and trust your instincts. A dozen little visual/auditory cues go into a decision to trust someone (or not) about anything, and you will likely make excellent decisions based on these and your self-described suspicious nature.

Such duplicity is not epidemic or widespread out there.

wh..sh

Post by wh..sh » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:39 pm

jkisha wrote:
Bob wrote:Just make sure you mark your camp name and address in a visible spot on your person with a Sharpie, fine point or broader.
I used to think this advice was silly; I have now come to believe it to be prudent.
Yes, this method is effective. We wrote our camp address on one of the camp mates. And the next thing we know we were applying lipstick on him... but that's beside the point.

-Bob

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:42 pm

Just write "DEPOSIT: NV 5₵"

Someone will bring him back.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:00 pm

The moment you start worrying about this kind of stuff ... You wake up days later in the Red Light District, "Glory Hole" written near every orifice on your body.

... Don't worry, you just fell down some stairs.

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:28 pm

Token wrote:The moment you start worrying about this kind of stuff ... You wake up days later in the Red Light District, "Glory Hole" written near every orifice on your body.

... Don't worry, you just fell down some stairs.
Hey there Token!!! nice to seeya!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

5280MeV

Post by 5280MeV » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:13 am

jkisha wrote:Spray/Misting Dosing is pretty much a debunked myth. The amount of chemical needed to get someone high from misting would be financially beyond the reach of most people.
I agree, but I find these sort of dosing legends to be really fascinating. I imagine that the MKULTRA program is mostly responsible for planting the seed for these legends by actually being CIA agents going around dosing random people.

I would be interested to hear what a biochemist has to say, but poking around a bit on the web, it seems like transdermal absorption of drugs is extremely ineffective for most substances - after all, the whole point of having skin is to keep stuff out of the body.

The people who are really really into hallucinating and documenting everything have the following to say:
The primary reports of this type of accidental transference are in places where LSD is being manufactured or large amounts of liquid LSD are being handled, placed on blotter, etc. In these cases, large enough quantities might be present to more easily be absorbed through the skin.
http://www.erowid.org/ask/ask.php?ID=2838

I would imagine that on the playa where misted water evaporates extremely quickly, absorption would be even worse. So what would it take, 100 normal doses, 1000 normal doses, is this even physically possible?

Maybe if someone dumped a bucket of fully saturated LSD solution on you, or gave you a 30 minute rubdown with mushroom and cactus paste?

Thanks for the win coach, enjoy the trip home.

vargaso
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Post by vargaso » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 am

I was given a pot-cookie once, but they guy told me it was a pot-cookie, and he wasn't lying. Good rule of thumb is, if part of a camp's deal is serving food, you're almost certainly safe. If it's an individual passing out baked goods (hehe) out on the playa, I'd pass. Same with drinks, if it's a group effort and you can tell then put a lot of time and money into it, go for it. If it's some dude passing around a flask, think twice.

I've never encountered covert dosing out there, either personally or via any of my friends. Just use the same caution you would in any large group of people.

Return to “Food & Drink”