Conclave - tickets and policy

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Conclave - tickets and policy

Postby The CO » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 pm

lemur wrote:the vast majority of those creating, doing, performing, and participating, at burning man are doing it without any reward or special compensation.

and that is probably how it should be.

This! Any discount or gifted ticket is a GIFT, one that should not be expected or demanded, but taken graciously and humbly, understanding that it does not make you better or worse than anyone else.

*Slippery slope counterpoint: the same statement could be used to argue that tier pricing, low income/scholarship tix & art grants should be eliminated.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby The CO » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:04 pm

BBadger wrote: Perhaps the number of dancers needs to be scaled back, to concentrate interest, or maybe spread out into different spokes for more "surface area"? The layout of the city changed over time, maybe the great circle needs a change-up as well.

Part of the reason conclave/great circle is there is to help provide an additional barrier between the audience and the massive pile of wood and pyro going off. Spokes would create a safety nightmare for all involved-conclave, rangers, ESD.

The conclave generally performs for about 15-20 minutes. The waiting comes from two main things-the luminiforous procession, and the final pyro and fire safety checks. Conclaves are supposed to be in position (and stone-sober) at 7:00 PM on burn night. We then wait along with everyone else until we get the go signal. It's not us that causes delay in the burning of the man.

I like the fact that we keep setting records for the most fire spinners in one place at one time.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby pink » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I've been all over the place as far as watching the Man burn. My first year I was right up front (well second row), and watching the spinners was really cool, but I could only see pretty much what was right in front of me. Seeing from atop an MV was another experience; I could see more as far as the amount of spinners, but not as well what each performer was doing. I do have to admit the afar view was better to see actual choreography in the groups; up close it just looked random spinning. But since MV's are kept back aways, you still had to deal with a blocked view.

I've also decided not to go close (2009 in particular) and watch from the cafe. Of course in 2009 the big question was 'will they even burn on time?'. IMHO, the Conclave does add a bit to the event, but unless you are one of DPW's crane's, there's no way to decently experience fully the Conclave's performance.

And this is just my opinion on the performance and an observation, and in no way critical of what the Conclave does, or whether they get a reduced price ticket or not.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby BBadger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:44 pm

The CO wrote:
BBadger wrote: Perhaps the number of dancers needs to be scaled back, to concentrate interest, or maybe spread out into different spokes for more "surface area"? The layout of the city changed over time, maybe the great circle needs a change-up as well.

Part of the reason conclave/great circle is there is to help provide an additional barrier between the audience and the massive pile of wood and pyro going off. Spokes would create a safety nightmare for all involved-conclave, rangers, ESD.

Thanks for that explanation of some of the other reasons behind the great circle, and I agree that spokes would be a logistical and safety nightmare. Large-scale choreography might still be an option, but it's not my performance or time so it's not my call.

The conclave generally performs for about 15-20 minutes. The waiting comes from two main things-the luminiforous procession, and the final pyro and fire safety checks. Conclaves are supposed to be in position (and stone-sober) at 7:00 PM on burn night. We then wait along with everyone else until we get the go signal. It's not us that causes delay in the burning of the man.

Not saying that it's the delay either, but, well, sometimes it seems that way to the casual observer. Maybe it's all part of having seen it more than once. It is pretty spectacular the first time, and from different views. Hell, it's cool anytime, but maybe not camp-out-the-half-day-at-Disneyland-cool after you've seen it up close. I also like how it extends the event some time, so it's not just arrive, fireworks, burn, go. Really, I haven't gotten sick of the performance, so I'll see what I think in a few years.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:41 pm

you can blame the lamplighters for the delays with the luminiferous

also..

not many people seem to know about that procession of the luminiferous .. if youre looking for something fun to do instead of sitting and waiting...

show up at the Cauldron (called Diablo) in front of the Center Camp Cafe at 7pm on burn night... NOTHING will happen until the procession takes place (unless its cancelled).. so you wont be missing anything by seeing it..

(plus there is really cool music and dancing that follow the lamplighters as they march along with the bigass 5 foot tall lantern..)

it is ALL KINDS! of fun.. and... im usually surprised to find that nobody i talk to knows about it..

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm

addendum..

in the interest of safety it is no longer carried..

..its on a cart..

..i carried it one year.. its fuckin heavy. 8 people is barely enough...

so if youre waiting.. and waiting.. its cuz they gotta move the beast from center camp, to the man ..then around the man.. and then the arms raise.. the fire conclave does their thing and the burn happens..

if ya follow the fire you wont be waiting!! (that much)
lemur

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 pm

Just a correction: MVs do not get monetary support from the llc.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:30 pm

sure.. they call it 'moving art' ..

but..

this surely would have been registered as a 'mutant vehicle' if it didnt get a grant..

edit:

right?!

lemur

Postby pink » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:33 pm

lemur wrote:you can blame the lamplighters for the delays with the luminiferous

also..

not many people seem to know about that procession of the luminiferous .. if youre looking for something fun to do instead of sitting and waiting...

show up at the Cauldron (called Diablo) in front of the Center Camp Cafe at 7pm on burn night... NOTHING will happen until the procession takes place (unless its cancelled).. so you wont be missing anything by seeing it..

(plus there is really cool music and dancing that follow the lamplighters as they march along with the bigass 5 foot tall lantern..)

it is ALL KINDS! of fun.. and... im usually surprised to find that nobody i talk to knows about it..

Thanks for telling me about this...I think I'll check it out (and maybe dance around it) this year.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for the catch, lemur.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:47 pm

There are some others too....
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm going to be cold and dignified and pretend you didn't say that, dick. Because I don't want to be wrong more than once on any given thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Well, you can be resolute in that decision because I have to say nothing more.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm going to be cold and dignified and pretend you didn't say that, dick. Because I don't want to be wrong more than once on any given thread.

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Previous

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion