Thank You!

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Thank You!

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:01 am

Massive thanks to those of you who help out the moderator team by flagging the spammer posts. We do what we can to catch and remove stuff as quickly as we can, but every little bit helps and flagging makes it easier for us to find and get rid of the spam faster.

Some newer members may not have been around when things were at their worst last summer and the site was getting hit with a constant barrage of crap. Actually, it still is, but now we've got the tools and the team in place to stay on top of it, and with everybody's help I think we've been doing a pretty good job. We may not find everything on the boards - if you see something that might not be right, flag it by clicking on the triangle with the exclamation point in it. That puts it on the radar for the mod team, where someone will review it and take the necessary action.

Again, thank you!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Thank You!

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:40 am

I love it when I flag a post and when I return to the subject, it isn't there any more.
Smells like victory...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:50 pm

trilobyte wrote:We do what we can to catch and remove stuff as quickly as we can, but every little bit helps and flagging makes it easier for us to find and get rid of the spam faster.

Again, thank you!

i always figured you folks were 'on it' .. and skipped over them.. figuring itd just make more work/redundancy on something you were already doing..

i tend to be around in the hours when lotsa the russians are posting insane crap.. i guess i will flag em up so they can be burned.

burn that shit.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:07 pm

If a post has been flagged you'll get a message to that effect. Sometimes I'll be the 6th person to view and no one has flagged it yet. On my end, I hate seeing that.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:If a post has been flagged you'll get a message to that effect. Sometimes I'll be the 6th person to view and no one has flagged it yet. On my end, I hate seeing that.

Well, maybe the people that viewed it weren't logged on.... or they were just lazy.... or it was the same person checking their post several times... or they were just lazy... or internet ghosts! :twisted:

...or they were just lazy...but, that would never happen here. 8)
JDCookMS

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:23 pm

So, do they actually spam Regionals the most, or is that just where I happen to see it?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby delle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:31 pm

I love the description you (or one of you) posted a while back about the flagging process turning the spam "a seriously embarrassed glow of red" or something to that effect.

Tho I rarely get to be the first to flag one -- peeps here being on the ball as they are -- every so rarely (to coin a new timeframe) I do get that honour. And it DOES feel like a demooping victory!

Keepin' our streets CLEAN!!!

That said -- we all owe everyone on the mod team an extremely large heap of recognition for this aspect - which, tho perhaps not the hardest of their tasks is probably one that must get to be most tedious Every Single Day, Year In And Year Out.

So again... Thank YOU.
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, digital deMOOPing!

Seems to me that regionals gets the most of it. That's certainly where the bulk spammers gravitate towards, though not so much with the context spammers. We made a number of changes to the board's configuration in the fall that put a wrench into some of the works, but I think they employ a lot of cheap third world labor that manages to get past google's Turing test.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:45 pm

delle wrote:I love the description you (or one of you) posted a while back about the flagging process turning the spam "a seriously embarrassed glow of red" or something to that effect.

It was . . .

AntiM wrote:I wish everyone could see that lovely shade of pink, like the post is all embarrassed or sumthin.

I remembered that too, delle, 'cause I thought it was funny.

And I learned later, it was an apt description. Flagged posts are a very pretty rose-pink. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby moonrise » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Not lazy, just didn't know the triangle was the new way to report spam.

I'm up working late/at all hours, I see those spam posts here n there, I can't wait to report them! *poof* goes the commerce.

Thank you to our hard working moderators! :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Yeah, I can't wait until I start seeing posts that say: I didn't flag that commerce because...

I suppose I should just be glad that I get to paint the kill on my fuselage, rather than upset that it lasted so long...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby lemur » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm

theCryptofishist wrote: on my fuselage.

tell us more about your fuselage!

...sounds pretty hot.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Sham » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:58 am

Thank you to all the people who tag spam or questionable posts. There is a lot of reading involved in being a mod, and any help in sorting the spam or posts that have advertising in them is a huge help in keeping things in order. These posts become highlighted for easy swatting.
Sham

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:13 am

A friend running a forum recommends stopforumspam.com.
I think that's the name.
I think they pre-screen or flag the worst ones.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:46 am

I've flagged posts that don't have links or advertising in them, but which "feel" "wrong" to me. I don't actually want to kick some honest if misguided contributer to the board; there is some sort of sniff test involved, yes?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:54 am

Yes, we check the posts out - and if something seems questionable we'll bounce it off the others mods as well.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:58 am

Good.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks to the people that keep the house mostly clean, or rather as clean as possible as often as possible. Also a big thanks to all volunteers of all depts. This INCLUDES a BIG thanks to the ticketing people. Probably this shittiest job this year with all the nasty emails I am sure you are getting. But thanks for doing what you were charged with doing quickly so that whatever problems there are can be resolved from now until the gates open. Having put in volunteer time with other things in my life I know it can often be a thankless job with more complaints than accolades.

So again, thank you everyone, especially the tix volunteers.. keep your heads up and you'll pull through this.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Canoe » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I love it when I flag a post and when I return to the subject, it isn't there any more.
Smells like victory...

Smells like... time-delayed wack-a-mole!
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby graidawg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 am

I just hope you are saving all the spam for the meet n greet again, perhaps we could arrange some sort of fire device to cook it and enjoy the food stuff we have been provided?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:09 pm

Ha! Glad you liked it. No MnG for me this year though, I'm afraid - you'll have to stop by my camp sometime during the week and we'll grill some up.

…contemplates building some kind of structure out of empty spam cans...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby ygmir » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:01 pm

trilobyte wrote:Ha! Glad you liked it. No MnG for me this year though, I'm afraid - you'll have to stop by my camp sometime during the week and we'll grill some up.

…contemplates building some kind of structure out of empty spam cans...

Luuuccccyyyyyy............you got some 'splenin to do.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby moonrise » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:58 pm

Is the C.O.R.E. burn at 9 PM Thursday, the same night as the MnG??
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby trilobyte » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:12 pm

Yeah, the CORE burn is the same night. Between that and some camp obligations, I need to make sure I'm back at my camp before sundown on Thursday.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to Policy Discussion