The Pier 2

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Re: The Pier 2

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:08 pm

@fbcota, I'm hanging in there. It seems you've been busy.
I can feel it, you're actually going to build this!!! impressive!!!

300 foot pier and 65 foot shipwreck, it sounds to me like the size and scale of this project will be that of the Trojan Horse in 2011, is this correct? If it is, it may warrant another look at the Tahoe pier scrap yard for aged pier wood.

Earlier in the thread, I recall the shipwreck will become a permanent installation (post event, off playa) with that in mind should it be noted that (whenever possible) the artists contributing (locally and globally) ought to try to create/contribute key segments that are weather resistant?

Here's a corny story line idea. Maybe the crew and passengers ran out of water and died of thirst and the ship wrecked into The Pier....hmmm, will we need skeletons? Or is it possible they didn’t die of thirst and integrated with the BRC populace (after ship wrecking into The Pier long ago) and their descendants are out and about in BRC to this day…

@Mev, impressive design ideas. I'm sure fbcota, Jerry and their tribes would like to hear from you via PM. Welcome aboard!! :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby MisaBlue » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:57 pm

This sounds so awesome!

I loved the Pier...had great evening on Saturday pre-opening when visiting there...

Will be happy to help!

Postby fbcota » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:04 pm

Moonrise: I think the ship will be bigger in scope then the Trojan Horse, which leaves me a bit breathless to say as that was an impressive piece. It shouldn't be too hard you know to rebuild the entire Pier, wreck the end of it and then build a giant shipwreck at the end right,...right,... ohh yea, I forgot we just need to fill it with the life possession of a ship of sailors,... hmmmmm

MisaBlue: Where is your home base? We need hands to help this happen and we would love to have the help :).

Just got done meeting with Killbuck, went over the room layout, placed some cannons, discussed making a bunch of parchment maps focused on the great inland sea of Lahontan, and considered ways to sculpt the massive goddess at the masthead of the ship, and all of the french curves and wood work adorning this little boat. Anyone know some amazing wood sculptors? :D
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Wow! I had a feeling this is going to be BIG (and if you're local, please don't throw old useful props away this spring clean season!!) Donate, donate (please). :)

There is a woodcarver/burner located in Carson City. He is professional (very capable/abstract to classical) and has been involved with South Lake Tahoe burning man events. You might know of him, either way, I'll email you his name and contact info.

Will there be two regattas? Or one regatta and a pier (not the ship!) burn, maybe later after the Temple burns? Hmm, that'd make for a loooong Sunday night.
Welcome back to cat herding fbcota, we haven't even built this yet and already, the "can we celebrate, can we burn it" questions are flying, haha!

Ask all you want, the ship will not be burned, but The Pier will be.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:14 pm

I'll be removing a couple of large cottonwood trees in my backyard this spring. If you want me to save out big pieces of the trunk for carving a masthead, let me know..... :D
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby MisaBlue » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Fbcota, I am based, according to the trusty source, in Switzerland...
...which is actually called Czech Republic...and yes, some people think it is right next to Iraq...

However it is quite far for "during the year help", but I was thinking if you need on playa help.
I am planning to stay longer there this year. I don't know how long do you estimate it will take you to build it on playa, but if you think you could use one more person in dust...here I am.

Postby JayBobBoy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Can you make the wrecked boat a Cruise Liner? Just thinking out loud... :P
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby fbcota » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:18 am

oooooh, too soon,....

And I was going to complain about how my head hurt from trying to finish the grant.
fbcota

Postby JayBobBoy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am

I had a feeling it might be a bit early...but that image of the boat sitting on it's side...

Couldn't help myself.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Bexx » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Is there a kickstarter up yet? Or will there be?! I'm so excited!!!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby fbcota » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:33 pm

There will be a kickstarter, we need to raise quite a good bit of money. I think we will wait until Early spring for the first kickstarter, after we have news of if we are honorarium or not.

Ohh, and thank you soo much for the enthusiasm :).

Matt
fbcota

Postby fbcota » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:46 pm

Grant in, now its time to make something happen!
fbcota

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Oh crap, I'm in love.

How are you going to make sure the sail on the ground doesn't get stolen, become moop, or both?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Nipple » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:35 pm

Ooh! Burn the model on burn night!
Nipple

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:03 pm

Life possessions of a sailor.... sounds like my house, and my father's home.

I have a kick-ass treasure chest, but we actually use it to haul our cooler around in.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:30 pm

Hmmm. Need an antique (probably 1910's) Singer sewing machine, sans table? I have no idea if it works, but it's sitting unwanted in my basement & this seems like a great place for it to be used. It's not light (cast iron) so we'd have to find someone going from SF to Reno to get it to you...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bexx » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:32 pm

oh wow!~ that is going to look so amazing!!
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:26 pm

AntiM wrote:Life possessions of a sailor.... sounds like my house, and my father's home.

"A tinker, a tailor, a soldier's things..."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Mr.Coffee » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:49 am

You had mentioned previously about the crew either dying of thirst or being integrated into the BRC population. Does the shipwreck have a supernatural aspect? You could crank out some blacklight cannon and fire shots of UV into the crow to "Reveal" the long-dead members masquerading as citizens. Blacklight effects can be widely adapted to accomodate aspects of duality in everyday items.

Anyway, Just spitballing here, but regardless, my hands and tools will be at your disposal should you need them.

Dunno if it helps, but I can tie cast nets with my eyes closed, and I've always wanted to make a net launcher. Ships rigging and cordage have always been intriguing to me. Rope is fun, you know?
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby moonrise » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 am

fbcota wrote:Image

Grant in, now its time to make something happen!

Yay! grant is in! (red tape sucks!!) pats fbcota on the back *pat* *pat*

Is that the Bait Shop in the overhead photo fbcota?

Also, might as well mention again that this project will need artists, creators, writers etc etc from all over the world to create and then ship things for the shipwreck build in Reno. As well as hands on building, creating, assembling in Reno.

Have you had much luck finding a BIG wherehouse in Reno for the pre/off playa build yet?

Have you thought about how you'll MOOP proof some of the frilly things? Coat them in resin and nail them down? Use tough materials that appear frilly?
If you don't have those answers worked out yet, I have a feeling you've got some interesting solutions in the works!!

I can imagine this is enveloping your whole life, 24/7, including your dreams!!

ETA: Welcome abord Mr. Coffee!! Do we need nets" hahaha...yea, I think we do. Blacklight is interesting, good spitballing. :)
moonrise

Postby darcitananda » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:11 pm

I am so excited about Pier 2 with the shipwreck. It's going to be epic. Mermaids, they're the new sparkle pony.
darcitananda

Postby Schwarttzy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:32 pm

I so want to see Pier 2, you got to make this work, would love to party on the wreckage! How can I help (short of help build it)?
Schwarttzy

Burning Since: 2011

Postby jella » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:41 pm

I am soo happy the Pier is coming back....it's was one of my farvoite chill spots last year. Love the ship wreck !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Tiahaar » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:29 pm

AWESOME fbcota!!! Love how you have the model shipwreck snagging the pier deck and dragging it off its pilings. Imagine the thunderous and terrifying sound that would make as it happened @@! ohhhhh, the wreckage is so tragically beautiful.
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Finnegan » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:14 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:I'll be removing a couple of large cottonwood trees in my backyard this spring. If you want me to save out big pieces of the trunk for carving a masthead, let me know..... :D

Unfortunately, that fresh wood will check and split beyond recognition. I'd recommend seasoned wood or some sort of composite.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby bubbavic » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 am

This is going to be amazing!! So excited to see this come to life (crosses fingers, crosses toes)

Anyone up for a pirates versus ninjas staged Pier 2 interaction? Alternate universe storyline goes drunken captain shipwrecks ship on BRC playa pier and must fend off the horde of ninja sparkle ponies...OR Ninjas commandeer the ship but since ninjas don't know diddly about piloting ships, they crash it right back into the pier. Pirates desperately try to regain the ship to recover the bounty of Bacon Vodka in its hold. (all reenactments subject to fbcota's approval and permission of course! We don't another climb on the art and fuck it up for the rest of BRC disaster like last year!)

Edit: Not one to just play and not pay, so obviously I'm totally willing to volunteer whatever help I can! I'm in San Diego so that might be difficult but if I can bring something or help with some sweat equity, pleaseplease let me know!
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby kittyrodriguez » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:21 am

I love this idea! While we all have/had favorite pieces that would be perfect, in our eyes, without change, this project is a clear example of perfection improved upon...

I thought the creators might like to know what a beacon their piece was for us this last year, our first. The Pier was one of the first large installations we saw, and it served as a lighthouse for us almost every evening. It was so comforting, after a night wandering the playa or drinking and dancing out there in the dark, to stumble back to the very visible pier where we parked our bikes nightly and to know we had safely made port once again.
kittyrodriguez

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby peyote2004 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:51 am

I think I'm in love...

Hearing all the ideas being tossed around for the pier 2, makes me really wish I could go this year. I just have too much happening to get away this year.
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby fbcota » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 pm

:).

All the love is quite nice. But we have a ship to build :P. But seriously, its nice to see people liked it. These words will keep me going come June when half of us are complaining about building the art project and the other half are complaining about trying to find tickets.

Bubbavic: GO FOR IT :). This project is for everyone so play away :).
fbcota

Postby moonrise » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:36 pm

Good to see you back fbcota!!

Have you heard back from the LLC about the grant application? :P

I am surprised some of The Pier 2 crew may be short on tickets, yikes!
If I had extras I would flow some your way but I only have one for myself.

I'm working on gathering some Obtanium (I looove that word, heh heh) ropes, chains, some antique furniture type stuff, maybe some lanterns :) and then there's the give away estate sales that abound in Tahoe in spring/summer :P

Fingers crossed CList will also bring in some good Obtanium (there's that word again, haha).

Might as well mention "Obtanium" can be mailed to you (haha, I can't stop using that word!) 'cause we're gonna need a LOT of obtanium everything.

Cheers!
moonrise

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Art & Performance