Fireproofing Shade Sturctures

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Fireproofing Shade Sturctures

Postby CornMan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:07 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:This thread is null and void. All answers were based on shade structures. I not sure that anyone knows what a shade sturcture is, much less how to build one.

except Bob, of course.

I believe I do indeed know how to make various shade structures. Getting the money to buy the materials is a different story altogether.

Back to the subject: Acid might be the answer to a shade structure that is likely to go up in flames. Figure out a few hours before the structure is likely to burn, take the acid, and enjoy.

Re-read and try again.

Oh. "sturcture." I guess I do not know what one of those is, but acid is still likely a viable answer.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:11 am

I'll grant you that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:51 am

Fire retardant chems can be purchased to dip your fabric in. Bearclaw or Home of Poi if memory serves. Make sure u get the right chem, one is for synthetics and the other is for cotton etc.
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby delle » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 am

trilobyte wrote:Oops - forgot to add a couple other crucial considerations. First, burlap quality can vary quite a bit - from stuff that provides little in the way of shade to the heavy stuff that shades the sun (but not the UV radiation, as I understand)… but almost all of it is MOOPy. And second, should it rain (and it does sometimes do that), it would be a big wet disaster (no rain protection, soaking up moisture, and smelling like a wet dog).

Please heed this!

I made a bunch of privacy shades out of burlap (to hang vertically) for my porch a few years back. I couldn't believe the amount of moop. Even after finishing, they constantly shedded fibers whenever disturbed.

....and that was without even being installed and battered by the winds because they never actually made it up. Why? Because after having spent many hours of sewing them up, I put the salvage into the firepit.

Putting a match to it, it did not go up slowly.... but with a mighty WHOOSH! It was terrifying, thinking of that on my porch... around smokers....

Look to another option. Please!!!!
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby monsta2ownzu » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:12 am

So its been a while since I posted this thread but i thought Id just share what ended up actually getting made! We decided to do a 1V geodesic dome with 10' sides and use this awesome cargo parachute as shade. This is a picture from a test run we did at forgotten city 2012. It worked fantastically on playa. We used 2 hole straps and bolted it into the playa with 10 inch lag bolts and an impact drill, one strap at every corner on the ground. Solid as a rock. Or camp expanded to 50 this year and we are waiting anxiously to hear about placement for this years burn as we registered for the first time :-D We have already built a second dome and are connecting the two with a 20'x10' piece of shadecloth and then shooting shade cloth out 12 feet out and down from each side of both domes. IT IS GONNA BE EPIC.... I'm very excited about it!
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 am

Looks like fun - congrats on the successful structure and good luck in your placement bid. If you haven't already done so, you may want to post a bit about your camp on the theme camps board. Even if you don't want to start a thread, you could post a bit of info about yourselves as a reply in one of the neighborhood threads (pick the one for the part of town you've requested, we know that it's all still preliminary until announcements are made in a few weeks).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping