Card expiry

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Card expiry

Postby BeyondIndigo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey guys. I have a question for any official BM types. Well, a dilemma really.

My debit card is due to expire at the end of Jan.

I think I read that the card will be billed (if I am lucky enough to get tickets) "on or before 1st Feb." if it's BEFORE, I'm fine. If it's ON...I'm potentially screwed :-/

Can anyone please tell me if there's a solution to this? The account will be the same account. But I didn't give my ACCOUNT number, I gave my CARD number...

Leeeeettle bit worried.
Beware the creeping Britishness
BeyondIndigo

Re: Card expiry

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:52 pm

Yeah, you've got reason to be concerned. First, that replacement card should have been in your hands by now. Second, if you should activate a replacement card before the charge gets made, it could well make your registration data invalid (as a security measure, a lot of banks will refuse charges submitted using old card data once the new card's been activated). And of course, there is the possibility that if you're awarded tickets, that may not happen until February 1st. The drawing will start sooner, but may possibly take until the 1st to complete.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about it at this point (next business/banking day is after registration closes). My advice would be to contact your bank to check on the status of that replacement card, and then once you have it DO NOT ACTIVATE IT until you've heard back about tickets. If you're awarded tickets the card will be charged immediately and you'll be free to activate a replacement card.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm

hey it could be worse!

i had someone clean out my bank account with some fraud shenanigans 2 weeks before i left for the burn one year... (bank kicked butt, got all my money back and a new card a few days before i left)

at least its only january!

good luck with yer thing, trilo is spot on..at least from my experience with card replacements and already existing charges still out there on an "expired" card..
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BeyondIndigo » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Yeah they sent me a letter saying they'd send me the new card soon. Suppose I should call them tomorrow nd find out where it is...

Thanks for the advice guys :-)
Beware the creeping Britishness
BeyondIndigo

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion