Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs

Postby BeyondIndigo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:50 pm

...so I just discovered there are 23 species of scorpion in Nevada. :shock:

I come from England, we don't HAVE any insects that can kill you. That's one of the reasons I like living here. So I'm pretty terrified now.

Does anyone have any advice to prevent getting bitten and stung? I mean obviously not going barefoot is pretty important. But I'm particularly worried about the idea of one of the little blighters getting into my tent and hanging out until I get back and then biting the shit out of me.

:cry:
Beware the creeping Britishness
BeyondIndigo

Re: Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:55 pm

NOthing much lives in the Black Rock Desert, brine shrimp in the winter. There are, I believe, scorpians, but I've never heard of anyone being stung. They are a pretty rare site. The basic deal is that it's not a good place to live. And there are no plants, so there's nothing for animals to eat, so there's nothing for scorpians to eat, either.
So, start being afraid of people giving you roofies and blaring dubstep. And dehydration. Get in the habit of drinking lots of water.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mojojita » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm

In 14 years I have never seen a scorpion on the playa. Remember that the playa is not a normal "desert" - it is a prehistoric dry alkali lake bed. There are a very few bugs that can be found there, more so in the spring than in late August, but it is pretty inhospitable for most insects and arachnids. I have seen more bugs there that hitchhiked in in peoples gear than are indigenous. We did have a kangaroo rat in camp for most of the week last year that we fed and gave water to - he headed for the hills about mid-week.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Surprisingly, you'll find very, very little in the way of life on the playa during the event. In the off-season it's teaming with life and frequently under-water, but at the time of year that Burning Man takes place, it's such a dry, harsh, inhospitable climate that you're not going to find much (if any) life out there. The occasional dragonfly (not all of which are hallucinations), and if there's rain in the forecast maybe the rare mantis or grasshopper, but probably not much else.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:59 pm

*redacted until page 2*

there were a lot of random critters this year at TTITD. I heard of them on the radio, mostly, folks wondering what to do.
I'd bet it had to do with the cooler, wetter weather.

foogin' scorpions.........*shuddering*.........I hate the necrotic tissue they leave behind.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:30 pm

*applause*

...for the 4 virtually simultaneous, informative posts!!!!!

Let the snark begin???
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 pm

Damn it. We've been practicing to become a crack team at simultaneous posting, and we don't have it yet. What will we do for our party tricks at the meet'n'greet.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Mojojita » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:10 pm

How about a snark off?
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:11 pm

We practice that individually...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BeyondIndigo » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Thank you guys, I feel reassured. If I even SAW a scorpion, or any kind of freaky desert spider (solifugae *shudders*) I'd scream so loud that my mother back in England would hear.

I'm not great with bugs in general, including the ones that pose no actual threat to me.

My boyfriend also just said "Get a tent with a built in groundsheet" so I'm going to look at doing that too. He has slightly more camping experience than I do.

(Ahahahahaha "more camping experience than I do." My "camping experience" consists of three days in a field when I was seventeen. My learning curve at BM is gonna be steeeeep. Don't worry though, I'm not an idiot, I fully realise that the environment demands my respect and I'm researching desert survival in my other browser right now. Getting dehydrated or suffering heat stroke are NOT things I want on my to-do list at BM.)
BeyondIndigo

Postby Sham » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Well grasshopper (not literally), this may be your best reading on preparing.
http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
Sham

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:10 pm

I found the greatest vid from the toilets out there.......just waiting for page 2........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby twister5voy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm

ygmir wrote:I found the greatest vid from the toilets out there.......just waiting for page 2........

Now my first wish from my magic genie is that page 2 will come quickly.
twister5voy

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:04 pm

BeyondIndigo wrote:(Ahahahahaha "more camping experience than I do." My "camping experience" consists of three days in a field when I was seventeen. My learning curve at BM is gonna be steeeeep. Don't worry though, I'm not an idiot, I fully realise that the environment demands my respect and I'm researching desert survival in my other browser right now. Getting dehydrated or suffering heat stroke are NOT things I want on my to-do list at BM.)

You weren't doing that wacky Prince Philip Challenge thing, were you?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:50 pm

In a big wind, any small critter that lives along the west margin of the lakebed might get blown across the playa -- insects, other arthropods, mice and whatnot. Hordes of praying mantises have been seen in previous years. Horseflies and such are more common in July, but you might see them in August in a wet year.

If you want to stalk the wily solifuge, visit the DPW depot at night and chat up the person on night shift. They start gathering soon after they start keeping the floodlights on at night. Plus your typical flying insects, and whatever got trucked in with the wood piles.

So practically speaking, insects and such are about as rare as bedbugs in Manhattan.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby JayBobBoy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

That's hilarious...Bugs are the least of your worries...

It's the crabs you have to look out for!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:59 am

Every time I glimpse this thread title, this song gets stuck in my head. :shock:

Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 am

ygmir wrote:I found the greatest vid from the toilets out there.......just waiting for page 2........

Why? Go ahead & post it now. The idea is "no snark until the question is answered", not "no snark until page 2". It's been answered, be witty.

Of course if there's been this build up & it's lame, you will be punished.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:18 am

thanks Eric..........no pressure now..........hahaa

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:39 am

Fooger.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:34 am

BeyondIndigo wrote:Thank you guys, I feel reassured. If I even SAW a scorpion, or any kind of freaky desert spider (solifugae *shudders*) I'd scream so loud that my mother back in England would hear.

I'm not great with bugs in general, including the ones that pose no actual threat to me.

My boyfriend also just said "Get a tent with a built in groundsheet" so I'm going to look at doing that too. He has slightly more camping experience than I do.

(Ahahahahaha "more camping experience than I do." My "camping experience" consists of three days in a field when I was seventeen. My learning curve at BM is gonna be steeeeep. Don't worry though, I'm not an idiot, I fully realise that the environment demands my respect and I'm researching desert survival in my other browser right now. Getting dehydrated or suffering heat stroke are NOT things I want on my to-do list at BM.)

HAHA! They lured you into FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY! That's not very nice, you guys!

Just bring plenty of DEET. I forgot my DEET last time and found this monstrosity in my bed:
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
BeyondIndigo wrote:Thank you guys, I feel reassured. If I even SAW a scorpion, or any kind of freaky desert spider (solifugae *shudders*) I'd scream so loud that my mother back in England would hear.

HAHA! They lured you into FALSE SENSE OF SECURITY! That's not very nice, you guys!

Just bring plenty of DEET. I forgot my DEET last time and found this monstrosity in my bed:
[img]snipped[/img]

forgive Dougly, he gets his photos mixed up all the time.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Just bring plenty of DEET. I forgot my DEET last time and found this monstrosity in my bed:

Gregor!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BeyondIndigo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
BeyondIndigo wrote:(Ahahahahaha "more camping experience than I do." My "camping experience" consists of three days in a field when I was seventeen. My learning curve at BM is gonna be steeeeep. Don't worry though, I'm not an idiot, I fully realise that the environment demands my respect and I'm researching desert survival in my other browser right now. Getting dehydrated or suffering heat stroke are NOT things I want on my to-do list at BM.)

You weren't doing that wacky Prince Philip Challenge thing, were you?

LOL the Duke of Edinburgh Award? No. I used to belong to a Christian youth group in my young days and we all went to this big Christian festival.

I spent the entire time acting extremely Un-Christian. I left the group a couple of months later.

But yeah, that's my only camping experience to date. Still I'm at least attempting to get my head aroung the basic principles, unlike my boyfriend (who hasn't yet decided if he's coming) who keeps asking me things like "So will you at least be able to charge your phone?" There are only so many times you can say "I will be in THE DESERT. You know, the actual DESERT...? Like in those documentaries?"

Then I showed him the desert on Google Maps. I demonstrated that I can do at least five scrolls in either direction on my ipad and it's all BLANK SPACE. I THINK he's starting to get it now.

At the moment my largest concern is about the environment once I get there. Camping for three days in England, which is quite a temperate country (unless you listen to English people talking about the weather. Never listen to English people talking about the weather. Truthfully we have no clue what bad weather really is, but complaining about the weather is like our national pastime) is, I anticipate, quite different to camping on an unforgiving, dry ancient lake bed with dust storms and ridiculous temperature extremes where you can get headstroke, dehydration, playa foot, playa LUNG, altitude sickness...

I have no intention of not taking this environment incredibly seriously.
BeyondIndigo

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm

BeyondIndigo wrote:my boyfriend (who hasn't yet decided if he's coming) who keeps asking me things like "So will you at least be able to charge your phone?" There are only so many times you can say "I will be in THE DESERT. You know, the actual DESERT...? Like in those documentaries?"

You might want to give him the heads up that not only will you be unable to charge your phone (unless you bring along a way to do it), you will be really lucky if you can even call out. I'm on Sprint & my coverage gets real spotty after Nixon (one of the last towns when you're heading north), other carriers vary. None give coverage that could even remotely be called "functional".
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:41 pm

BeyondIndigo wrote:But yeah, that's my only camping experience to date. Still I'm at least attempting to get my head aroung the basic principles, unlike my boyfriend (who hasn't yet decided if he's coming) who keeps asking me things like "So will you at least be able to charge your phone?" There are only so many times you can say "I will be in THE DESERT. You know, the actual DESERT...? Like in those documentaries?"

Then I showed him the desert on Google Maps. I demonstrated that I can do at least five scrolls in either direction on my ipad and it's all BLANK SPACE. I THINK he's starting to get it now.

Hee. :lol:

At the moment my largest concern is about the environment once I get there. Camping for three days in England, which is quite a temperate country (unless you listen to English people talking about the weather. Never listen to English people talking about the weather. Truthfully we have no clue what bad weather really is, but complaining about the weather is like our national pastime) is, I anticipate, quite different to camping on an unforgiving, dry ancient lake bed with dust storms and ridiculous temperature extremes where you can get headstroke, dehydration, playa foot, playa LUNG, altitude sickness...

I have no intention of not taking this environment incredibly seriously.

Good! Prepare to the teeth, suspend expectations, be ready to bend so you don't break . . . you're quite likely to be fine. Probably more than fine, but I don't like to over-promise. :)
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 pm

BeyondIndigo wrote:At the moment my largest concern is about the environment once I get there. Camping for three days in England, which is quite a temperate country (unless you listen to English people talking about the weather. Never listen to English people talking about the weather. Truthfully we have no clue what bad weather really is, but complaining about the weather is like our national pastime) is...

My sister seems to have picked up that one. Are there any other signs I should look for as symptomatic of Creeping Englishness?

btw--where are you? I know, England, but there is someone on this board in london and another in Wales. We like to orchestrate meetings of burners over there because we think that the little explosions keep the country healthy.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BeyondIndigo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:31 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
BeyondIndigo wrote:At the moment my largest concern is about the environment once I get there. Camping for three days in England, which is quite a temperate country (unless you listen to English people talking about the weather. Never listen to English people talking about the weather. Truthfully we have no clue what bad weather really is, but complaining about the weather is like our national pastime) is...

My sister seems to have picked up that one. Are there any other signs I should look for as symptomatic of Creeping Englishness?

btw--where are you? I know, England, but there is someone on this board in london and another in Wales. We like to orchestrate meetings of burners over there because we think that the little explosions keep the country healthy.

Creeping Englishness...sounds like a medical term! Hahaha.

Signs of creeping Englishness:
Our slang is pretty insidious. Things like "bin", "jumper" and "pram" (respectively: trash can, sweater and stroller.) I have been to America twice before and it was quite amusing how many words are different despite the shared language.

Also a fondness for tea. First things on my list for BM are proper English tea bags, sugar and powdered milk. I plan on giving free, properly brewed English tea to any Burners who might stop by my tent. It's only the proper thing to do, old chap. :mrgreen:

(my boyfriend: "So where will you plug in the kettle?" *facepalm*)

Oh, and immense patience with waiting in line and accepting terrible customer service as the norm :roll:

Is your sister in England then?

I am in York, which is pretty darn far from both London and Wales. I also have issues in planning things because I work shifts, so I don't have any time that I DEFINITELY know I will be free. Which kinda sucks but I do it for the love of the job.
BeyondIndigo

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:43 pm

There is a shelf-stable, boxed brand of milk in the U.S. that requires no refrigeration and is (in my non-British opinion) much better than powdered, if you would prefer liquid form--Horizon Farms organic milk. It's in the juice aisle next to the juice boxes.

. . . Creeping Englishness! I love it. I love British slang in general.
Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:33 pm

My sister is doomed. Her kids, too. Oldham, or Manchester. The niece is in Manchester. The nephew is in Oxford. Although, I don't know if he is a tea drinker. Likes cheese...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks