How much alcohol should one bring?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: How much alcohol should one bring?

Postby Sail Man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:31 am

theCryptofishist wrote:With TT120's new eyebrows, I think he will kill some threads.

Maybe he would be so kind so as to share a pair with Trilo.

We gift gate a fifth of tequila.
Bring a wide variety of both canned beer for roaming about, and bottled for at camp.
And a nice selection of booze and mixers for when the beer just ain't cutting it.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby teardropper » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:48 pm

How much liquor is like 'how much does it cost to go to BM' or what size pack. Depends. How much will you drink? Start with that. Then, will you share with campmates? Add that. And, will you be making new friends? That's the wild card. Bring as much as you can carry and afford, and, of course, about twice as much mixer as you think you'll need. I have a little bar behind my bowling alley and bring a full bar, lots of everything. Still bring some back, though, so I don't consider it a success. Must give away all liquor. Well, I try.

I brought a bunch of whole milk and half and half and made White Russians on Tuesday night. Too tough to refrigerate much longer. Gave away about 4 gallons or so. Kinda' surprised me, but hey...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby darcitananda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Kinda late to this thread, but last year we brought extra liquor and actually had a hard time giving it away (actually still have it in a cabinet for this year). However, we brought coffee, and our campmates pretty much annihilated our coffee and milk supply in just a couple days. This year I will bring a TON of coffee and milk and sugar and way less liquor.
darcitananda

Re: How much "medicinal purposes only" should one bring?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:35 pm

a quarter pound, approximately.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:30 pm

I see a lot of people saying that glass isn't really something you want to bring with you if you can help it. I am assuming that people make an exception for the handles of good alcohol and are just prepared (broom and dustpan) in case there is an issue. Is that right? I mean I guess I could transfer it to a pitcher with a screw on lid but that makes drinks for neighbors a little worrisome for the neighbors.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:38 pm

And could get you in trouble for driving with open containers in the car.
Some people do bring glass bottles. If you chose to, please prepare yourself not only with dustpan and broom, but with sponge that can be wet to pick up slivers. Try and open over carpet or oilcloth. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but the absolute idea is not to make someone else pick up your garbage that you brought despite the advice. Picking up all the crap left on playa is manditory for the permit, and is done by people who love the event so much that they stay weeks late making up for our carelessness.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:45 pm

probably, bottom line (IMHO) is:

bring what you want, however you want.....just don't be a shit heel ,clean up after yourself.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:05 pm

SquirrelHead wrote:I see a lot of people saying that glass isn't really something you want to bring with you if you can help it. I am assuming that people make an exception for the handles of good alcohol and are just prepared (broom and dustpan) in case there is an issue. Is that right? I mean I guess I could transfer it to a pitcher with a screw on lid but that makes drinks for neighbors a little worrisome for the neighbors.

My personal experience, so for what its worth, I've never 'accidentally' broken a handle on anything but concrete or a rock. I've never had a problem camping. I've dropped bottles in my kitchen and never had a problem.
The play is hard, but after you've been walking in the same area for a while, it will get a bit softer.

Thats not to say that a bottle wont break and you should be prepared. But don't let it stop you from bring a glass bottle of liquor.

I think the general idea about glass is to stay away from glass beer bottles. Partially because they take up a lot of space to pack out.
For 2011, we took an old bucket with twist/locking lid that chlorine comes in. Its very similar to a 5 gallon bucket from home depot, but has a 'child safe' locking lid. We cut a semi-round hole/flap, looked more like a C, but left one side of the flap attached so it could fold back. Then fed the handle of a sledge through the whole, with the hammer portion in the bucket. We'd put beer bottles in there then smash them. That week we drank 4 cases of Cider and another 4 cases of Corona, and only had to carry out one case of beer bottles. The champagne bottles were a bitch to break though.
Then duct tapped the flap shut, packed it up and took it home. It was really heavy by the time it was full.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:08 pm

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby danibel » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:30 pm

Some good tips on this thread for sure. Thanks.

I bring a 30 pack of Modelo, a bottle of tequila for my flask and margaritas, and bottle of kahlua. This year my boyfriend brought a bottle of vodka as well, and we mixed up white russians. My beer barely lasted so this year I will bring more. The tequila and vodka were in glass and it made me nervous to have them, but we were just very careful.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Aurora_BassHead » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm

definately some good ideas!

for me its beer and rum....so i'll be bringing in the good stuff(in my opinion) from Canada, buying some cheaper stuff in Reno to drink later and in the day and to share....and then a big bottle of rum for my flask and for nights.

by the way.....I have a question for people from the area. whats a good brand of rum to buy? something other than captain morgan's or bacardi. :)
Aurora_BassHead

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:10 pm

KRACKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 am

Yes, Kraken!

I also like Ciclon, if you can find it. Good at playa temps.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 am

I'm a little partial to Myers Dark myself. Appleton's makes a pretty good dark rum as well.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 am

I rather like Havana Club Añejo, tho it's damn hard to get here... Has that fresh-cane-rum flavor in an añejo rum... hard combo to find, without the price of a 10-cane rum.

(Then again, having it couriered in brings the cost to that 10 cane price... ;( )
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby VultureChow » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:30 am

Silly question, but with all the PnP talk going on, I took a look at the BRC weekly that Eric(I think) posted a link to and the article there mentions Liquor companies sponsoring some bars. I was thinking of bringing (shipping really) a case of small bottles (200ml) of a Ukrainian honey pepper vodka that I've grown quite addicted to to give out as gifts. Will people think I'm pimping the brand?
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby shykat » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:32 am

VultureChow wrote:Silly question, but with all the PnP talk going on, I took a look at the BRC weekly that Eric(I think) posted a link to and the article there mentions Liquor companies sponsoring some bars. I was thinking of bringing (shipping really) a case of small bottles (200ml) of a Ukrainian honey pepper vodka that I've grown quite addicted to to give out as gifts. Will people think I'm pimping the brand?

If your worried, Just cover the labels..........
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Savannah » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:41 pm

VultureChow wrote:Silly question, but with all the PnP talk going on, I took a look at the BRC weekly that Eric(I think) posted a link to and the article there mentions Liquor companies sponsoring some bars. I was thinking of bringing (shipping really) a case of small bottles (200ml) of a Ukrainian honey pepper vodka that I've grown quite addicted to to give out as gifts. Will people think I'm pimping the brand?

Probably not. I give away 2-3 oz bottles all the time without covering the labels and have never gotten any flack, because they're just little treats, I'm not running a booth or mass-distributing them or anything--same with a juice box or a can of soda or beer--but you totally could cover labels if you wanted to. You could also crack one open and serve it and not display the bottle; 200ml could serve two people a few oz apiece.

I have a fond memory of sharing some ginger vodka with a few people gathered under a shelter during a rain storm in 2010.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby VultureChow » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Savannah wrote:

Probably not. I give away 2-3 oz bottles all the time without covering the labels and have never gotten any flack, because they're just little treats, I'm not running a booth or mass-distributing them or anything--same with a juice box or a can of soda or beer--but you totally could cover labels if you wanted to. You could also crack one open and serve it and not display the bottle; 200ml could serve two people a few oz apiece.

I have a fond memory of sharing some ginger vodka with a few people gathered under a shelter during a rain storm in 2010.

Thanks! Honey Pepper Vodka for all!
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:48 am

tulip wrote:How much you drink per day?

On vacation. Regular alcohol intake may or may not be a useful guide.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Food & Drink