:::D cool new dusty wear

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

:::D cool new dusty wear

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:57 pm

Hey there guys and gals :::D

I just learned i am indeed attending this years burn and am now working on developing some new outfits and such that id need incase of stormage XXD so im looking for some stuff thatl keep me protected from those little grains as i wander round on my time off, like a hat/face mask like so:

something like that that i could attatch to a hat or beaney or something.

id also want to keep my body protected well from gettin that damn playa rash, got it two years ago and it fucked up so much of my day.

so id like to make something that i could sew into my jacket that'd get the job done, and maybe a few cool goggle ideas while im at it.

XXD well thanks for reading/replying haha

Stay dusty, but watch for playa rash XXD
HiBbY
c = 1 gives the sequence 0, 1, 2, 5, 26,…, which tends to infinity...
HiBbY

Re: :::D cool new dusty wear

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:01 pm

I like these. 8)

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:06 pm

XXD hahaha i like the one i put up cuz they have dust filters in the top mask thats sown into the bandana. :::D theyr for ATVing and such
HiBbY

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:23 pm

But mine is a newborn onesie for $2 at wallmart and you can art it anyway you like.

Playa tested! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby HiBbY » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:06 pm

8) XXD badassen
HiBbY

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:06 am

FIGJAM wrote:But mine is a newborn onesie for $2 at wallmart and you can art it anyway you like.

Playa tested! 8)

Woo hoo, (((Figjam))) I was thinking about your onesie mask last night and trying to remember how you did that. Thanks for sharing that wonderful picture again. But I can't see the sides; do the baby armholes hook over your ears or do you cut that part off?

Fuck he's good just ask him... yep! 8)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby bigdane » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:13 am

HiBbY wrote:Hey there guys and gals :::D
HiBbY

whats the playa rash??
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:37 am

bigdane wrote:
HiBbY

whats the playa rash??

Playa dust reacts badly with some skin types, causing a contact dermatitis. PLaya foot is common, and MyLarry gets playa paw (he wears his gloves often there because of it). Keeping clean helps, keeping dust off your sensitive bits helps, bag balm helps (or other ungents). Clean socks are a must if you have soft feet, and if your feet react badly, stop going barefoot ASAP. Even folks who go barefoot all the time in other environments can fall prey to playa foot.

For some, the combination of sunblock and playa dust causes a rash, where neither causes distress alone.

I know one person who gets playa scalp!

No way to know if you're going to have a problem until you have it. You simply have to have a Plan B for foot and skin care and protection.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:44 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:But mine is a newborn onesie for $2 at wallmart and you can art it anyway you like.

Playa tested! 8)

Woo hoo, (((Figjam))) I was thinking about your onesie mask last night and trying to remember how you did that. Thanks for sharing that wonderful picture again. But I can't see the sides; do the baby armholes hook over your ears or do you cut that part off?

Fuck he's good just ask him... yep! 8)

Yeah, I cut them off just below the arm holes.

This left me with some cute little crop tops that I carried with me and put on dolls I saw on random art! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:24 pm

AntiM wrote:
bigdane wrote:
HiBbY

whats the playa rash??

Playa dust reacts badly with some skin types, causing a contact dermatitis. PLaya foot is common, and MyLarry gets playa paw (he wears his gloves often there because of it). Keeping clean helps, keeping dust off your sensitive bits helps, bag balm helps (or other ungents). Clean socks are a must if you have soft feet, and if your feet react badly, stop going barefoot ASAP. Even folks who go barefoot all the time in other environments can fall prey to playa foot.

For some, the combination of sunblock and playa dust causes a rash, where neither causes distress alone.

I know one person who gets playa scalp!

No way to know if you're going to have a problem until you have it. You simply have to have a Plan B for foot and skin care and protection.

I was fine except for my hands - within 1 day they were cracking, peeling, and felt like sandpaper. Considering that the hands were the only part of me sensitive to it - I was thinking there might be another factor. I suspect it was because my hands spent so much time wet from grabbing brews out of the cooler. Sort of like how much faster sheet rock mud roughens the hands as opposed to dry sheet rock dust (gypsum - same main component as playa dust). This year I'm going to test this by bringing a pair of long rubber gloves to put on before digging in the cooler.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:24 pm

I carried a tiny spritzer of vinegar water on my belt, handy for cleaning lots of things and it really cuts the dust. That and a little bottle of coconut oil kept me quite comfortable all week. 8) Oh and a little tin of Badger Balm for my fingers and toes.

I was worried about running around in a lace thong so I brought some boy shorts just in case but 8) they are still in their little ziplock bags. Overprepared? Yes! :lol:

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Postby HiBbY » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:34 am

ive heard that works well.:::O ive heard people take lotion to the burn :::O i have a feeling tht would make everything that much worse, all that dust collecting in the lotion, just to come right back and stick to your skin that much more ;::/ lotions weird. i dont like it. trips me out
HiBbY

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:40 am

Bwahahahahahahahahaha, HiBbY, the lotion question comes up every time a new nurse is made, so I have studied this issue for over 30 years.

Suffice it to say, that for human skin (not bike chains or anything else) for human skin, my dear, grease provides the best protection. That should be obvious just from the fact that our skins secrete grease constantly, in their own defense, but this is an evidence-based claim.

Playa dust is not like other kinds of dust or grit or sand, it is extremely hygroscopic and will cake harder on moist skin, so, a low-moisture skin grease works best out there. Ditto for a greasy sun screen. Spray-ons are great.

Expert verdict on lotions: don't bring a water-based one for protection from playa dust. First ingredient on the label should be some kind of grease.

edited to add: baby oil gel is really cheap and easy to use. I buy coconut oil in the cooking oil section of my grocery store, even cheaper.

MyDearFriend

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:43 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Bwahahahahahahahahaha, HiBbY, the lotion question comes up every time a new nurse is made, so I have studied this issue for over 30 years.

Suffice it to say, that for human skin (not bike chains or anything else) for human skin, my dear, grease provides the best protection. That should be obvious just from the fact that our skins secrete grease constantly, in their own defense, but this is an evidence-based claim.

Playa dust is not like other kinds of dust or grit or sand, it is extremely hygroscopic and will cake harder on moist skin, so, a low-moisture skin grease works best out there. Ditto for a greasy sun screen. Spray-ons are great.

Expert verdict on lotions: don't bring a water-based one for protection from playa dust. First ingredient on the label should be some kind of grease.

edited to add: baby oil gel is really cheap and easy to use. I buy coconut oil in the cooking oil section of my grocery store, even cheaper.

Question! I'm allergic to baby oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter. Would mineral oil work?
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:01 pm

For my hand/foot treatment I use a washcloth soaked in white vinegar (which neutralizes the alkali in the dust), and then chase that by rubbing on/massaging in some olive oil. Playa foot salad! :mrgreen:
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lemur » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:27 pm

this shit is no joke.

its not just an inconvenience to some people... yeah, i have very sensitive skin and get playa hand like a mofo... bleeding around cuticles and such.. i can feel it burning pretty much as soon as i take my gloves off... but some people have much worse problems

a camp mate of mine a few years ago got a nasty playa rash from all of the various stuff out there on her thighs and she wasnt able to walk/stand very well... kinda starting to freak out.. ..its too hot out to be crying and stuff...

as the 'responsible' person on duty at the time in the camp it became my duty to get the proper care to her.. the med team was dispatched to bring her to the med tent.. showed up in a big hurry with radios blazing..

seriously not a good thing to see someone in that much discomfort..

like for realz.. it REALLY was a crappy situation... have you ever tried to get the medical people to appear without a radio?! it aint fun... dealing with 2 medical situations in one year was enough for me!

be wary out there folks!! even the hardiest souls end up in a world of hurt because of that environment.

ive had ppls who mention spending deployments in iraq/afghanistan mention the unpleasantness being quite different from anything they had been subjected to.. (as if you needed that anecdote to let you know that black rock was oppressive)

even experienced burners get in trouble... that dust and all the chemicals and whatever else can make people literally.. an unhappy camper.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:50 pm

lemur wrote:this shit is no joke.

its not just an inconvenience to some people... yeah, i have very sensitive skin and get playa hand like a mofo... bleeding around cuticles and such.. i can feel it burning pretty much as soon as i take my gloves off... but some people have much worse problems

a camp mate of mine a few years ago got a nasty playa rash from all of the various stuff out there on her thighs and she wasnt able to walk/stand very well... kinda starting to freak out.. ..its too hot out to be crying and stuff...

as the 'responsible' person on duty at the time in the camp it became my duty to get the proper care to her.. the med team was dispatched to bring her to the med tent.. showed up in a big hurry with radios blazing..

like for realz.. it REALLY was a crappy situation... have you ever tried to get the medical people to appear without a radio?! it aint fun... dealing with 2 medical situations in one year was enough for me!

be wary out there folks!! even the hardiest souls end up in a world of hurt because of that environment.

ive had ppls who mention spending deployments in iraq/afghanistan mention the unpleasantness being quite different from anything they had been subjected to.. (as if you needed that anecdote to let you know that black rock was oppressive)

even experienced burners get in trouble... that dust and all the chemicals and whatever else can make people literally.. an unhappy camper.

Okay, at the risk of embarrassing my fat ass self, I've gotten horrible inner thigh chafing just from the wrong pants, sweating, or constant walking.

Someone turned me on to anti-chafing gel and it has seriously saved my life while traveling, sightseeing and hiking. Rub on, let dry and reapply once mid day, problem solved. I will be arriving in BRC with loads of the stuff as I imagine the dust would only make the situation worse.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Powder is good too (like a cornstarch powder) as a finishing touch.

Part of what can make chafing bad is if you take a halfhearted swipe down your arm or leg with a damp baby wipe. I did that to my shins once. Burned like a @#$% a few minutes later. All I had done was add moisture to the dust without really taking it away. I would have been (technically) better off not touching those shins at all, but far better still to saturate a baby wipe with some lemon juice or vinegar and really get all the dust off and then moisturize, or have a water wash (and moisturize) and maybe some powder on areas that rub, as the crowning touch.

One can also rub skin raw by putting fabric over a dusty area, like putting a shirt on (dusty) skin after days of wearing a tank top, or wearing canvas backpack straps over bare dusty skin. (To be fair, rough canvas straps will chafe you no matter what after sufficient number of days. Old-fashioned Army surplus bags should have wrapped straps or be worn over another layer of clothing.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mzfit » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:34 pm

I had found some great anti chafe stuff at the local runners store called bodyglide. I keep it in my bag that I carry around on playa and apply it liberally. It works wonders for keeping my thighs from screaming at me! Not an advertisement - I have nothing to do with the manufacturer or distributors - just sharing something that has worked for me!
mzfit

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:41 pm

lemur wrote:as the 'responsible' person on duty at the time in the camp it became my duty to get the proper care to her.. the med team was dispatched to bring her to the med tent.. showed up in a big hurry with radios blazing..

I've been on the other side, and yes, it is complicated. And I have to assume that if you were in Lamplighters the med tent was close.
So, if there is a serious medical issue...The most medically adept person should probably stay with the sick and injured person, and one person should go to the front of the camp and one person should run to the nearest med station (Center Camp, 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock). If there's a chance to grab a ranger with a radio on the way, go for it. That's going to get them on their way sooner. When the little gators are coming, it's good if the person who ran to the med tent can ride with them and show them the way, but it may not be possible for one reason or another. This is why a person at the front of the camp is key, that way there's someone to get their attention when they get close.
Anything that mdmf or BBSue say about this should over-ride on any contradictions. They are far more experienced, and more recently, than I am.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:37 pm

Keeping the most medically adept person with the patient and dispatching another to Medical is good advice. (Any 3rd roadside person will need movable shade.)

I will add that the Quick Response Vehicle is slightly more likely to be at the Medical Station than not, and if it's there, they will indeed send it out to a camp in response to someone who can't travel easily, but there is also a chance the QRV is already en route to Center Camp with a significantly injured person in it, and may not be back to the station for 10 or 15 minutes. (Though the Station can radio to it.) So, if a sick person in one's camp is well enough to be transported in a camp's personal golf cart or similar, I recommend that first.

If one is equidistant between Station 9 and Center Camp (or Station 3 and Center Camp), and a health issue does not appear to be simple, aim for Center Camp. That's where all the serious injuries end up eventually--more equipment, more MDs. IVs are not administered at the stations 3 and 9, for example.

(mdmf007 and BBSue have lots more ESD experience than I do, but they're more busy than I am, lately!)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Okay, solid advice, and it's good to get it out to people reading the board. I don't want to put myself in the position of letting people think I'm infalliable on the subject. Yeah, if you get to the station and the qrvs are out, you will be able to radio in location and patient information. Dispatch will contact the qrv if it's not at the station.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Bwahahahahahahahahaha, HiBbY, the lotion question comes up every time a new nurse is made, so I have studied this issue for over 30 years.

Question! I'm allergic to baby oil, coconut oil, and cocoa butter. Would mineral oil work?

Absolutely! That stuff is safe inside and out. 8) Except on condoms.

MyDearFriend

Postby Cindalou » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:43 am

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:

Just read the label on a bottle of baby oil -- 1st ingredient: mineral oil! Read your labels!
Cindalou

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:54 pm

SOme of these posts are going to be life savers to me i swear!

I am also fat so chaffing is a issue for me. I do have a question though. I do hair for a living and I also have my hands in a bar sink alot while working at the pub. This winter I have noticed I am getting contact derm. quite freakwently after a night at the pub and if i dont get the water out from under my ring. Being a virgin do you think my skin will not react well on the playa? Also what is a good brand for the grease sunscreen?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby moonrise » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:56 am

tattoogoddess wrote:SOme of these posts are going to be life savers to me i swear!

I am also fat so chaffing is a issue for me. I do have a question though. I do hair for a living and I also have my hands in a bar sink alot while working at the pub. This winter I have noticed I am getting contact derm. quite freakwently after a night at the pub and if i dont get the water out from under my ring. Being a virgin do you think my skin will not react well on the playa? Also what is a good brand for the grease sunscreen?

Hiya TG!

Coppertone, or some yuppie fucking costly brand, lmao. I buy Coppertone, I like the watery pump spray stuff, doesn't feel greasy.
Yes, it is true, burgins DO burn more than non-burgins because once you get that dust on you, you're forever changed. I'm billshitting you, we all burn the same, wear the sunscreen or you'll fry and ruin your burn. Also, when out walking/biking take shade breaks, find shade and enjoy it.

Chaffing, that would suck! DO bring gold bond powder. I bring it for inside my footwear.

Not much water out there, the ring might not bother you, don't wear it if it does give you trouble.

Has anyone told you to bring white vinegar yet? So what if it smells a bit, or I guess you could use seltzer water or lemon, but white vinegar is easy. I make 50/50 vinegar/water solution in a small spray bottle and spray on my feet after a shower and or before sleep. I bring one or two gallons, in jugs, and might make a foot bath with water and vinegar. It's also handy for sharing and what's left over, I use to clean my stuff after the week, at my home-home.

Vaseline works great for all skin problems (for me) out there. I learned this from a veteran burner gal & so what if it attracts some dust, the stuff works great.

Do you think every one of us expects to make it through the burn with zero ouchies? I doubt that'll be the case...all of us probably get some sort of bruise, minor (sun)burn, scrape, lost finger nail, so what, it's camping, fancy car camping at that. You'll be okay and by the end of the week you'll have the best suntan you've had in years; by mid/late 'week remember to get some good photos of you and your new freinds with your epic suntan, no joke, you'll be stronger (we hope!) and you'll have a great tan. We'll see you in da dust, and have a great burn! 8)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby VultureChow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:43 am

tattoogoddess wrote:SOme of these posts are going to be life savers to me i swear!

I can't recommend the anti-chafing gel enough. I've used powder before. This stuff is superior. No more painful raw inner thighs. It's not cheap, I use Lanacane (Which I just realized is the same as Lana Kane on Archer) so I wouldn't suggest it except for the "hot spots" you already know about, but one tube lasts a while. It's worth it not to be confined to my hotel room on vacation because simply walking around is painful. There's a ton of them on amazon to check out, some more oriented towards sports. I might have to get the "Blue Steel" because I refuse to believe they weren't making a Zoolander joke.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:15 am

Wow, I never caught that Archer Lana Cane reference until now either.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:17 am

Natural Coconut Oil is the best....it smells so good too. I would never go to BRC without it. Good for many things....

My buddy just got a cool hoodie where the hood zips up all the way, and there are see-through plastic eye areas...its all styled like a skull/machine/alien. Wonder if it was made for Bman?
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Return to Clothing & Playawear