Prenatals?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Prenatals?

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Has anyone brought or thought about bringing Prenatal Vitamins with them to the playa? Most of them give you 100% of all the necessary vitamins you need for the day (and more!) For anybody who doesn't know - Prenatal's are used for women to take before/during pregnancy to help keep them and the baby healthy. But they are good for men too! They thicken your hair, help with digestion, and strengthen your fingernails (Not to mention, they help with hangovers!)

I think they would be a good item to have in your playa pack.
Any tips, advice, or comments for my idea...good? bad? maybe take something different?

love,
Bri<3
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Re: Prenatals?

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 pm

That sounds like a good idea to me. I usually bring at least some Flintstones chewables, some Emergen-C, and some Sam-E (an amino acid good for the liver and mood, which is good if you've overdone it). Sometimes additional B vitamins. Sun & alcohol will take B vitamins right out of you, and a vitamin B complex helps prevent liver damage (a little) when taken with dinner before drinking and carousing, according to at least 1 study--don't know if the study was replicated.

Some daily V-8 and/or various 100% juices are smart too, in case one's vitamins aren't powerful or up to snuff.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:10 pm

I've never heard of Sam-E, but that sounds awesome! Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely make sure to pack some Vitamin C and B :)
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm

There's a discussion of 5-HTP (another amino acid) in this thread--it's another supplement some folks take out on the playa or when they get home, in case of a dip in serotonin.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=50668
Savannah

Postby ygmir » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:33 pm

Doc Pyro bring absinth as a "pre-coital" vitamin, if that helps.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 pm

Sometimes I wish there was a "like" button on these threads for comments lol
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby moonrise » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm

This reminds me of a heavy drinker I worked with years ago. He would take MIDOL for his hangovers!!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:29 am

Hehe. I wonder which formula? I hope it wasn't the version acetaminophen (Tylenol). That's murder on an overtaxed liver! Apparently there are several kinds of Midol. *googles* Some have acetaminophen, some have ibuprofen, some have naproxen sodium.

Ibuprofen is not so bad for hangovers actually--unless you're in the habit of 3 drinks or more per day. Aspirin is about the safest, but even then there's possibility of stomach bleed (technically true also of ibuprofen and naproxen).

I like aspirin, juice, water, coffee. And food.

Hey, this article isn't bad.
http://www.chow.com/food-news/53773/hangover-helpers/

I'm drifting a thread again. :shock:
Savannah

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:06 am

ygmir wrote:Doc Pyro bring absinth as a "pre-coital" vitamin, if that helps.

Absinthe isn't too shabby as a "post-coital" vitamin either.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:08 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:
ygmir wrote:Doc Pyro bring absinth as a "pre-coital" vitamin, if that helps.

Absinthe isn't too shabby as a "post-coital" vitamin either.

yeah, buy by then, your looks, and her judgement don't matter.(her, but I suppose I should say "their", so as not to be gender biased, depending on proclivities)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:47 am

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:But they are good for men too! They thicken your hair, help with digestion, and strengthen your fingernails (Not to mention, they help with hangovers!)

Any tips, advice, or comments for my idea...good? bad? maybe take something different?

love,
Bri<3

This seems like a good idea!

Though, prenatal vitamins contain larger amounts of Iron than most multivitamins, even larger amounts than "Female Blends" of everyday multivitamins, and a lot more iron than most Men's multivitamin. For obvious reasons women need more Iron, especially during pregnancy. Any guy taking prenatal vitamins should be very careful how much Iron they're getting. Unless of course, they have open wounds that keep bleeding... But they should consult medical help for that sort of issue.

Prenatal Vitamins might also contain Potassium, which can be very dangerous! There is a reason that most over the counter multivitamins very little if any potassium.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:50 am

Milk thistle is great for livers.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 am

illy dilly wrote:
Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:But they are good for men too! They thicken your hair, help with digestion, and strengthen your fingernails (Not to mention, they help with hangovers!)

love,
Bri<3

Though, prenatal vitamins contain larger amounts of Iron than most multivitamins, even larger amounts than "Female Blends" of everyday multivitamins, and a lot more iron than most Men's multivitamin. For obvious reasons women need more Iron, especially during pregnancy. Any guy taking prenatal vitamins should be very careful how much Iron they're getting. Unless of course, they have open wounds that keep bleeding... But they should consult medical help for that sort of issue.

Prenatal Vitamins might also contain Potassium, which can be very dangerous! There is a reason that most over the counter multivitamins very little if any potassium.

I did not know that! Maybe just try to find some mens/womens multi-vitamins to take with :)

thanks for the advice!
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:58 am

illy dilly wrote:

love,
Bri<3

help me with the dangerous potassium part..............please........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:14 pm

ygmir wrote:help me with the dangerous potassium part..............please........

Hey, wikipedia's back!
wikipedia wrote:Ingestion of large amounts of potassium compounds can lead to hyperkalemia strongly influencing the cardiovascular system. Potassium chloride is used in the United States for death penalty via lethal injection.

But anything in large enough quantities is poisonous. Or dangerous. So, it's not too good an idea to take multiple multi-vitemins. It maybe okay to increase for the playa, I simply don't have enough education to know, but not all the time.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:17 pm

I don't know all the details of why Potassium is so dangerous either. But you'll notice that most multivitamins wont have more than 2% of the "recommended" Potassium.
I think part of it is that a lot of foods already have plenty of potassium, and that taking a supplement on top of eating healthy makes it very easy to overdose.
I imagine that the 2% they put in most multivitamins is no danger to the average healthy person, but its worth thinking about if you have other health issues.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:19 pm

[/quote]
But anything in large enough quantities is poisonous. Or dangerous. So, it's not too good an idea to take multiple multi-vitemins. It maybe okay to increase for the playa, I simply don't have enough education to know, but not all the time.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you'd be fine taking them. Or even half of one twice daily. Just as long as you don't down them like a crazy person! I just thought it'd be a good idea to take some to the playa, just in case you get vitamin deficiency along with dehydration
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:24 pm

with K and Na being such close cousins, and, as I understand, K will usurp the position of Na in body chemistry, but is "better" for you.
Unless it's the fact that K has stronger reactions, to the same set of circumstances than Na.
No Na is added to vitamins, for obvious reasons.

and, yeah, anything overdone, can be poisonous, for sure.
K being highly water soluble, I'm sure it's shed fairly rapidly.

I'm not advocating taking a lot of K. Just wondering, where the warning for it comes from, if compared to Na.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm

illy dilly wrote:

love,
Bri<3

That's a very good point about the iron. It's apparently easy to overdose on it. I think I did it once in college to a mild degree, when I was experimenting with my vitamin intake and took an iron supplement on top of a normal chewable multi. My skin on my arms turned red and rough and ceased when I stopped taking the additional supplementation (I kept the multi-vitamin). I've read over and over since then that iron should be handled carefully, preferably with a doctor's opinion.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/40466 ... -symptoms/

Excess zinc can mimic urinary tract infections. </random>
Savannah

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:I'm pretty sure you'd be fine taking them. Or even half of one twice daily. Just as long as you don't down them like a crazy person! I just thought it'd be a good idea to take some to the playa, just in case you get vitamin deficiency along with dehydration

Yeah agree, most folks would be just fine. And it is a good idea to keep some multivitamins around.
Its also worth noting the risks of taking a multivitamin or supplement that is designed for a different person with very particular needs.
illy dilly

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:57 am

I nearly did in MyLarry with multi-vitamins, we had no idea he had hemochromatosis. We do now. Even C and A can be problematic for him in larger doses.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:01 am

AntiM wrote:I nearly did in MyLarry with multi-vitamins, we had no idea he had hemochromatosis. We do now. Even C and A can be problematic for him in larger doses.

wow........I must now know 5 or 6 people with hemochromatosis. IIRC, it's pretty specific to males.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:10 am

ygmir wrote:
AntiM wrote:I nearly did in MyLarry with multi-vitamins, we had no idea he had hemochromatosis. We do now. Even C and A can be problematic for him in larger doses.

wow........I must now know 5 or 6 people with hemochromatosis. IIRC, it's pretty specific to males.

Have you ever looked at his hands? He has iron cups he grew in his knuckles.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:16 am

AntiM wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Have you ever looked at his hands? He has iron cups he grew in his knuckles.

no........tell me more.....
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby wh..sh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:07 am

Taking multi-vitamins or prenatals is not going to bring any instant effect to one's health. Usually, vitamins take anywhere from weeks to month before one starts seeing any effect on health (depending on the vitamins).
I would hardly expect that popping prenatals/vitamins during week's time on desert is going to be of any instant help.

I do like electrolytes to help with hydration and it sure does make for a refreshing drink on playa. Vit B drinks help with fatigue caused due to dehydration. So don't be dehydrated.

As anything else, health can only be improved over time. I am not a strong supporter of vitamin supplements unless someone is in dire need of it. Eating right is the first choice.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 am

wh..sh wrote:Taking multi-vitamins or prenatals is not going to bring any instant effect to one's health. Usually, vitamins take anywhere from weeks to month before one starts seeing any effect on health (depending on the vitamins).
I would hardly expect that popping prenatals/vitamins during week's time on desert is going to be of any instant help.

I do like electrolytes to help with hydration and it sure does make for a refreshing drink on playa. Vit B drinks help with fatigue caused due to dehydration. So don't be dehydrated.

As anything else, health can only be improved over time. I am not a strong supporter of vitamin supplements unless someone is in dire need of it. Eating right is the first choice.

What drinks would you suggest that have Vitamin B in them? I'm guessing energy drinks obviously wouldn't be a good idea..so much caffeine that you'd be dehydrated in no time!

I'm thinking I'll bring a couple cases of Pedialite? Electrolytes!

Bringing some "Gatorade Rain" might be a good idea too. Less sugar, more electrolytes. That's what I drank when I was pregnant to keep from getting dehydrated during morning sickness.
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby wh..sh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:32 am

Emergen-C and Electrolyte.
And this year, I plan to bring milk. If I throw it in cooler, I am hoping I can save it for a week.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:53 am

wh..sh wrote:Emergen-C and Electrolyte.
And this year, I plan to bring milk. If I throw it in cooler, I am hoping I can save it for a week.

freeze it. That's what I do with my coffee cream. it seems to work fine, as long as I shake before pouring (the cream)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby oneeyeddick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:58 am

most Organic milks have a shelf life of 1 1/2 to 2 months thanks to "ultrahomoganization".

Costs a little more but actually tastes better too, and available in cooler friendly plastic half gallon jugs.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby AntiM » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:13 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:most Organic milks have a shelf life of 1 1/2 to 2 months thanks to "ultrahomoganization".

Costs a little more but actually tastes better too, and available in cooler friendly plastic half gallon jugs.

I got some organic single serve long life flavored organic milk boxes. Much longer shelf life than a couple months. I'm not at home so I can't check them, but it was around six months? Horizon brand (chocolate and vanilla and strawberry).
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Next

Return to Food & Drink