Camp DIY

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Camp DIY

Postby Brenda » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:17 am

We are forming a camp and seeking like minded Do-it-Yourselfers to camp with us.

The passion behind this camp is very much a part of why we love Burning Man, the challenge and creativity of building a comfortable space for a week on a dry lake desert without a whole lot of money or "off the rack" solutions.

We enjoy discussing how to build things, make things, create things. Whether is it retrofitting a bus, building a folding kitchen, making soap, canning, sewing costumes, working with leather, making beer, bread or yogurt, planting a garden, re-roofing your own house or building it (out of strawbale, dung, old tires), whatever , breeding fish, fountains, spas and pools... if you also get a kick out of doing it yourself rather than buying it already made, then maybe you want to camp with us.

We will organize a few events, if you are interested in teaching something to the BM community, we can set up a public workshop. Two workshop ideas include: Making your own deodorant that works and smells much better than store brand. Attendees would get to make their own and scent it their way and take it home. As a bonus we can discuss inexpensive bu effective toothpaste, cleaners, garden sprays.

Also, we can have a show and tell. Bring something you made and teach us how you made it.

We're seeking people who enjoy good conversation.

We imagine the camp's organization is fairly informal, no central kitchen and no fees. We plan on creating a central space to hang out in and hold the workshops but that's about it, However, if anyone wants to share their nifty showers, evaporators with others they are welcome to do so, just remember, they are responsible for taking it away.

We'll admit, we're not very fond of big, new shiney RV's with honkin' generators. We have a tiny little red trailer. We're also hoping to hang out with people who don't spend their days and nights blasted out of their mind. Happy is good, incoherent not so much.

My husband and I would be organizing the group. It will be our 4th year at BM. We're welcoming but not all that huggy (although we welcome people who are!). We won't be performing rituals to the Dust God (at least, I don't think so).

Anyway, we're just forming this camp so not much is firm. Write if you'd like to join us. blmcfarlane at cox dot net. I'm building a website campdiy.com but it's not up yet. Ask questions, tell us about yourself, tell us why you might be interested in joining camp DIY
Brenda

Re: Camp DIY

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:25 am

Search "playapod" and "Cooling your tent or van."

Is that what you had in mind. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Brenda wrote:We're seeking people who enjoy good conversation.

How about us windbags? Will you feed me if I come by and talk a lot?

Wait, that wont work. I'm too shy in person.

Sorry...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Brenda » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Probably won't be going out of our way to feed windbags (assuming we've got food) since my def of "good conversation" implies more than one person talking...I'm old fashioned that way.
Brenda

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:08 am

Great idea! Once you are placed let us know where so we can make a couple of your workshops. And thanks again for the idea with the blocks.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby CornMan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 am

In our camp, we have one guy who makes his own beer, I make popcorn, and one girl provides singing entertainment and a Thursday night taco dinner. We even have some members provide their own nudity. For the most part, we are a DIY camp. I especially appreciate the do it yourself moop cleaner uppers.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Brenda » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:10 am

Zeke, popcorn and beer! I'm stopping by!
Brenda

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:20 pm

Camp DIY sounds very interesting...will love to come by and see what you got going....YAY
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby dirty-roots » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:18 pm

i really like the idea of this camp!! :) nice work
you can open any door as long as you have the kay
dirty-roots

Postby Brenda » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 am

Aw shucks! Thanks!
Brenda

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:51 pm

I love the idea for this camp! I am definitely coming by to see y'all. :)
JDCookMS

Postby MisaBlue » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:26 pm

Good idea :)

Ever since I've seen this logo for DIY I have to giggle...

Postby bigmama22 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:26 pm

We would love to chat. 2 moms (40's) coming with her daughter and friend. They are basically ditching us upon arrival and after set up! We are in an RV, and would could provide a wind block on the outside of the camp. We will be running a dryer vent hose from the exhaust up to the top so as not to fume anyone out! This is our first burn (been waiting for 15 years to come, just enough time to get done with the kids and get some semblance of a life back - lol). Husbands at home, so we are on our own. Would love to join a camp where we can be part of it, but not in your face all the time.
bigmama22

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:00 pm

great camp idea!!
bravo,
brava!

and, don't forget to peruse the "camp no-cotco" thread, for free stuff.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Return to 2012 Theme Camps