Virgin Burner 2012

Virgin Burner 2012

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:17 pm

If I am lucky enough to get my hands on a ticket, I will be attending this year! I'm determined to cross it off my bucket list :D

My name is Brianna, I'm from Montana...not a huge community for Burning Man to say the least!
But I'm not going to let that stop me from trying. If anybody would like to give me any tips on being a well-rounded first timer it would be appreciated.

much love,
Bri
"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley
Brianna_Beauty413

Re: Virgin Burner 2012

Postby jella » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Welcome aboard Brianna_beauty, and good luck to you on the lottery.

I recommend you read the survival guide a couple times..Savannah should be along any minute with some handy links but long story short read read read. :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Welcome to eplaya Brianna_Beauty413!

Exactly what jella said, read, read...and when you think you know it by heart, read it again. ....then again, I'm a birgin as well, so I can't say too much. But, definitely read these forums as there is A LOT of information!
JDCookMS

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:15 pm

:D
Hello Brianna, and welcome to e-playa!

In addition to reading the newbie info on the main web site, you can sign up for the Jack Rabbit Speaks e-newsletter -- also on the main page.

But I'm worried about your use of the term "bucket list". If Burning Man is just another item you want bragging rights for at the senior center, then BM may not be right for you in the first place.
Now... since you want to be a well-rounded first timer, the bucket list syndrome is probably not a problem for you. But some of us tend to wince at the thought of tourists, spectators, frat-boys and cynical-bucket-listers running loose in our beloved participatory Black Rock City.

With that caution out of the way, you may want to start thinking about how you are going to participate. Many birgins believe they need to bring trinkets to give away, but that's not it at all. Participating is largely about giving of yourself, your time and your talents. For example, do you sing, or play a musical instrument? BRC could use more strolling musicians and troubadours. That's just one example. I repair bicycles and give rides in pedal-powered vehicles -- because that's all I know how to do.

One major item you need to plan for is shade. A tent or van alone will become uncomfortably hot in the sun. There is a lot of information about shade structures on this forum.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 pm

Elliot,

I understand your concern and I'm trying not to get offended...

I might have worded some things wrong...I want to BECOME a member of BM, not just another tourist that comes once and never participates again. I've been reading the survival guide for 3 days now and am working hard on being another beneficial factor to the community. I do know that BM isn't about tourism or just something you sit by and watch while throwing around your garbage and dirty water to infect the playa.
By the way, I'm not a college student or someone who is going to get drunk/high/stupid. I am a Mother and a very open-minded individual that loves crazy art and meeting other people that share the same interests I do. So please don't judge me...after all, part of the Burning Man experience is coming together to create a wonderful experience for everyone.
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:32 pm

No offense was intended! I was merely concerned. Trying to anticipate potential trouble, and preventing it if possible.

But now I am going to judge you: The bench hereby rules that you clearly have a First Rate, Grade A, 100% participatory, Top Notch Burner attitude. So there! :D

Oh, and so far as I'm concerned, getting drunk at BM is not just for college students! If you can find me, I'll have a cold PBR for you -- or a soft drink if you prefer.

Welcome aboard!
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:11 pm

Well... I never said I WOULDN'T get drunk - but that's not the main reason I'm going :)

I hope to see you there!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! <3
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Elliot » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:53 pm

Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

About this.... Bob Marley obviously never experienced techno at 900 decibels. :lol:

In other words, bring ear plugs.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Hi Brianna!
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby SquirrelHead » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Welcome to the fun. I am new here too and planning my first trip. I have been learning a ton of stuff by reading threads here on eplaya. So many fun things to learn and plan. :D
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:42 am

Hey Brianna welcome to eplaya!!!

As everyone has said, read the shit out of the Survival Guide, to figure out what the basics for survival are. Then surf around eplaya to find a lot of ways to make your week in the desert a lot more comfortable and little tips and tricks that will make things easier.

How much camping experience do you have?
I had done a ton of Mountains and Plains camping before going to Burning Man, so I figured "This can't be too different than camping out in the prairie" I was pretty much wrong. After my first year I really had to change up the gear I bring to BRC.

Here is a few of my favorite threads on ePlaya that will really help with preparation:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45375

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45957

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=52995
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby davink » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:41 pm

Will dance for shade?
davink

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:07 pm

I'm sorry, I completely forgot about this thread lol

Thank you all for the warm welcome and helpful tips! :)
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:10 pm

illy dilly wrote:Hey Brianna welcome to eplaya!!!

As everyone has said, read the shit out of the Survival Guide, to figure out what the basics for survival are. Then surf around eplaya to find a lot of ways to make your week in the desert a lot more comfortable and little tips and tricks that will make things easier.

How much camping experience do you have?
I had done a ton of Mountains and Plains camping before going to Burning Man, so I figured "This can't be too different than camping out in the prairie" I was pretty much wrong. After my first year I really had to change up the gear I bring to BRC.

Here is a few of my favorite threads on ePlaya that will really help with preparation:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45375

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45957

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=276&t=52995

I've done A LOT of camping in the mountains. I don't think the elevation will be a problem for me since my favorite camping spot is at about 5,500 feet. But that's probably the ONLY thing that won't be a problem....Mountains is not the same as playa lol. I'm definitely not in the mind set that I'll have enough experience for ANYTHING at burning man! But I'm certainly preparing for it as much as possible :D

Thank you for the links!
Brianna_Beauty413

Postby Brianna_Beauty413 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Elliot wrote:
Brianna_Beauty413 wrote:"One good thing about music: When it hits you - you feel no pain" - Bob Marley

About this.... Bob Marley obviously never experienced techno at 900 decibels. :lol:

In other words, bring ear plugs.

Already on my list :wink:
Brianna_Beauty413

Return to Introduce Yourself!