Transporting PVC

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Transporting PVC

Postby twister5voy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:16 pm

The following is assuming that I win one of the golden tickets in the lottery and that I believe my car would make the trip.

After much reading I decided a monkey hut would be best for my shade needs but the 10ft poles create a bit of a problem for me. I dont think I can fit 10 feet of anything in my car and I've seen the posts using multiple 5 foot sections instead. For whatever reason I didn't feel good about this option.
My thought was using some kind of magnetic bracket to attach the poles to the outside of my car. Something like the picture below.

Has anyone done this/heard of something like this being done? Thoughts? Concerns?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
twister5voy

Re: Transporting PVC

Postby motskyroonmatick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 pm

I wouldn't trust magnets to hold a load on the road. How about scouring crag's list for used car racks that would fit your car and using ratchet straps to secure the load in place.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 pm

twister5voy wrote:... My thought was using some kind of magnetic bracket to attach the poles to the outside of my car. Something like the picture below.

Has anyone done this/heard of something like this being done? Thoughts? Concerns?

Concerns, many many concerns.

Magnets are a very bad idea. Envision driving down the single lane highway towards Gerlach and a semi passes you going the other way. The resulting turbulence would very likely pull the magnetic brackets off your car and now your 10 foot pcv poles hit the pavement, smash and fly up towards the 5 cars behind you (going 60 miles per hour)... I will stop there.

Most vehicles can handle a roof rack of some sort. If that is not feasible due to costs (a roof rack for my Civic ran about $1000), you could ratchet strap the poles together and then wrap them in blankets and ratchet that (using at least 4 straps) to the roof of your car. I mean putting the straps through the inside and over the roof (properly placed, the doors should close fine). I used a cargo bag like that for getting the extra stuff onto the beetle we drove.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 pm

improvise
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby twister5voy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 pm

lemur wrote:improvise

I think that's the option I'll go with, especially with the thought of 10ft PVC going through windshields.
Perhaps also a sign that a different vehicle is in order. Or ratchet straps, lots and lots and lots of ratchet straps.

Thanks for the concerns guys!
twister5voy

Postby bud buddah » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:48 pm

I've transported a monkey hut and a hexayurt to the player the last 2 years. I have one of those $300 fold up trailers. I drive a passat. It has no problem pulling the trailer, and this gives me room for my bike also. Definitely a nice alternative. I did replace the wheels and bearings after I bought it, since it was used and a bit tired. Larger wheels will make it safer at higher speeds.
Bud
bud buddah

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm

bud buddah wrote:I've transported a monkey hut and a hexayurt to the player the last 2 years. I have one of those $300 fold up trailers. I drive a passat. It has no problem pulling the trailer, and this gives me room for my bike also. Definitely a nice alternative. I did replace the wheels and bearings after I bought it, since it was used and a bit tired. Larger wheels will make it safer at higher speeds.
Bud

Curse you Autocorrect!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm

5'+5'=10'
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah and I have to say that the 5 foot sections, if connected with 2.5 foot sections of PVC a quarter-inch bigger in diameter, are quite sturdy, as you reinforce the center flex point there. Eyebolts through the section connectors can be attachment points for additional 4-ft bungees along the sides, too, adding stability as well as clothesline/closet space.

Of course, when you cut them all in half you have twice as many to pack... :?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby remi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 am

Buy a soft rack (meant for surfboards.) I use mine all the time for random shit.. anything from surf board, snowboard.. to hockey bags full of gear. If you lived in Calgary, Canada, I would give you mine (I got a new truck, no need for the soft racks anymore.) Highly recommend checking out soft racks.. and if you live in California, I bet theres a bunch of broke surfers trying to sell there racks on craigslist.

Soft rack! Do it! I bought mine brand new, double wide shipped to Canada for around 60$-70$.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby Rice » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

remi wrote:Buy a soft rack (meant for surfboards.) I use mine all the time for random shit.. anything from surf board, snowboard.. to hockey bags full of gear. If you lived in Calgary, Canada, I would give you mine (I got a new truck, no need for the soft racks anymore.) Highly recommend checking out soft racks.. and if you live in California, I bet theres a bunch of broke surfers trying to sell there racks on craigslist.

Soft rack! Do it! I bought mine brand new, double wide shipped to Canada for around 60$-70$.

Geeze, how is it that I never heard of this before?? Awesome!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby twister5voy » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:38 pm

remi wrote:I bought mine brand new, double wide shipped to Canada for around 60$-70$.

That's a steal compared to the ones I was looking at. $200-$400 for a Yakima or Thule rack.
twister5voy

Postby remi » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:33 am

http://www.love-2-surf.com/l2s_soft_racks.html - double wide soft racks for 33.95$ + s/h

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006Q4ATA/ref ... B0006Q4ATA - These are the one's I have... they word excellet - 54.99$ +s/h

Just make sure whenever you hook them up you don't have everything leaning back to create a lift under your load. If you google image "soft racks" you'll see all the boards are upside down, not only because the fins, but because the concave board will make it almost impossible for an draft to get under. So make sure you tighten the front down hard and it doesn't angle upwards at the front and you'll be just peachy.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Return to Transportation