Who Moderates the Burning Man Facebook group?

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Who Moderates the Burning Man Facebook group?

Postby Stickygreen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Hey I don't usually look at the BM facebook group very much, but I have started recently, like since just before Christmas..

this is the group I am referring to : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209575143/

Anyway it seems to be alot of the same drivel as around here, Bacon! woot! whats this years theme, how do i get tickets, damn scalpers.. you get the point. But for some reason the moderators of this group have taken it upon themselves to censor posts that are not even in need of censoring.. well in my opinion anyway. I can imagine they get lots of advertising, and lots of party promotions, that they may want to steer clear of, but recently i have seen two threads deleted by the moderators of this group that were accusing them of deleting threads, this is the kind of thing that says to me, you're out of control... Someone has something to say that they are passionate about, and you're not letting them. I don't see that kind of behavior around here, generally people are allowed to speak there minds about whatever, but don't advertise, and that is still a loose thing, as there are plenty of non corporate adds close to Burn time.

Just wanted to thank the Eplaya mods for making a great communication board, even though we could stand to raise the IQ level a few points, but hey it's free... what can i say..

also if anyone on the Eplaya mod team have any knowledge about this FB group could you please enlighten us about the BM stance on deleting posts, and censorship around the )'( Brand.
)'(
Stickygreen

Re: Who Moderates the Burning Man Facebook group?

Postby AntiM » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:14 pm

Er... by "this group" do you mean FB or eplaya? I could read it both ways.

FB is more heavily censored in order to keep it on topic. Eplaya has more latitude. If something gets deleted on eplaya, the OP is informed as to why the decision was made.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Stickygreen » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Stickygreen wrote:this is the group I am referring to : https://www.facebook.com/groups/2209575143/

I think this is pretty clear....

the group that i linked to is the group in question.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Stickygreen wrote:also if anyone on the Eplaya mod team have any knowledge about this FB group could you please enlighten us about the BM stance on deleting posts, and censorship around the )'( Brand.

Go to the group- on the right side you'll see "members", click that, then from the drop down menu choose "administrators", that will show you the people in charge of that group (or any public fb group). I have no idea if they're affiliated with Bman or what their criteria is for moderating but as far as I know they are not connected with the eplaya mods.

You'll notice that I did not post their names here- ePlaya does have rules against posting someones "real" name without their consent, and I would ask that people in this thread please respect that (as it has been so far).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:24 pm

I think it's pretty clear who manages that FB group (as Eric describes, it's pretty easy to look that up). The group in question has no official connection with the BMOrg. The official presence is http://www.facebook.com/BurningMan
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Stickygreen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:49 am

Yes I found that page Eric, I can see who the admins of the group are, but I don't know what relationship they have with BM.. there just three names to me, could be Larry, Curly and Mo for all i know...

It's a group with 26,000 members, and the people moderating it aren't connected to BMorg, i find that kind of hard to believe? You would think that the BMorg would want to have some form of control over this FB group, as it's in there name, a trademarked name if i'm not mistaken...

And yes I'm aware of the Facebook page for Burning Man, as you linked to Trilobyte.

all three of you guys that have replied to my post are moderators here, and I'm sure have connections to someone at the BMorg who works in media and communications, perhaps you should let someone know to monitor the FB group, cause It seems it's a little fishy, some of the stuff going on there. Personally I've not had any issue with the group in question, and really it's full of garbage information, I hardly have any connection there, but it does not fit with what I know and love BM to be, the freedom to be who you want to be, and say what you want to say, even if it's critical of someone or something the great Harvey machine produces.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:17 am

Stickygreen wrote:It's a group with 26,000 members, and the people moderating it aren't connected to BMorg, i find that kind of hard to believe? You would think that the BMorg would want to have some form of control over this FB group, as it's in there name, a trademarked name if i'm not mistaken...

The Tribe BMan group has been around since at least 2003(ish), and it doesn't have any official connection with the LLC or the event either. I would bet that the Org have consciously decided to not actively go after the social media sites- trying to shut down or "take over" a group with almost 26,000 members would be like poking at a hornets nest. Seriously- think how much we all want to defend "our" event, and the shit-storm that is raised every time the LLC does something that some Burners disagree with (like the new ticket system, or last years sell-out, or Center Camp existing, or the year of BORG2 because of the art grants...).

Both the Tribe & the unofficial fb groups have no-commerce policies, I'm pretty sure that as long as there isn't any attempt to sell stuff through the groups they will stay untouched.

This is all my personal opinion & is pure guesswork. If you want official answers (or want to report the groups), you can contact press (at) burningman (dot) com; they're the department that trademark issues go through.

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby CornMan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:04 am

I just peeked at the fb site, and it looks okay to me. It doesn't have the follow up quality conversations as eplay, but there is no Russian flatulence medicine advertisements either and no backbiting or fighting. That being said, I don't think I'll join that site.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 am

Hey! Russian flatulance medicine saved my life!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:34 am

You don't have to believe it to make it true. I'm in pretty regular communication with the BMOrg, that Facebook group is in no way official or connected with the Org. Facebook has loads upon loads of groups devoted to companies, events, products, and random topics, very few of which are administered or controlled by officials connected with the relevant companies. Same was true on Tribe.net (a social network many burners used in years past) and remains true on other social networking sites.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:37 am

Are you saying that there's a wild west mentality on the internet; that all sorts of things happen without official okays from responcible entities?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby shroom » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Eplaya is so much better than the fb group in question. It has some good conversations but is also full of spam.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Stickygreen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:46 am

hahahaha! this is so true...

I agree it would be hard to moderate all communication boards with BM in the name, but I just see this one as a real shame, it's gone to the shits, oh well... who really cares anyway. It's just facebook, right.

I said my piece, 26,000 people can keep getting BS info from a couple yahoos on FB, I don't really care, actually i think I'm leaving the group, maybe i'll check in later see if it's cleaned up.
)'(
Stickygreen

Postby lemur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 am

Eric wrote:think how much we all want to defend "our" event, and the shit-storm that is raised every time the LLC does something that some Burners disagree with (like the new ticket system, or last years sell-out, or Center Camp existing, or the year of BORG2 because of the art grants...).

as someone who lives in center camp i would like to kindly remind everyone that center camp is in fact NOT the Cafe.

ive had people poo poo me saying i spend most of my time in center camp all too often, and i tell ya.. it makes me feel like a useless consumerist whore.

some of the bestest camps are in center camp!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:41 am

lemur wrote:
Eric wrote:think how much we all want to defend "our" event, and the shit-storm that is raised every time the LLC does something that some Burners disagree with (like the new ticket system, or last years sell-out, or Center Camp existing, or the year of BORG2 because of the art grants...).

as someone who lives in center camp i would like to kindly remind everyone that center camp is in fact NOT the Cafe.

ive had people poo poo me saying i spend most of my time in center camp all too often, and i tell ya.. it makes me feel like a useless consumerist whore.

some of the bestest camps are in center camp!

*facepalm*

I camped in Center Camp with Piss Clear from 2003-2007, with some amazing neighbors. I definitely should have said the Cafe. Ugh.

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Postby lemur » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:44 am

get with the PR machine!!

remember this and say it with me:

"The Project"

"Mutant Vehicle"

"Center Camp Cafe"

...etc.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby gyre » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:18 am

Worse things happen on eplaya.
gyre

Return to Get Involved!