Wind Powered Fan

Swamp Coolers, Cooler Management, Dry Ice, Misting Systems, and just plain how to beat the heat.

Wind Powered Fan

Postby JDCookMS » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:52 pm

So, I'm a burgin and I'm not exactly certain what the conditions are like there. (I know that there's usually a good breeze and all that, according to the survival guide.) Anyways, please tell me whether this idea is feasible or not: I'm planning on building a decent sized geodome, but was thinking that I could put something to catch the wind at the top, use a brake to keep it from spinning too fast, and then run a line down and use a fan to circulate the air within the dome.

I'm sure someone else has come up with this idea before, but does it work or not too well or what?
JDCookMS

Re: Wind Powered Fan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Yes.
Go for it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby JDCookMS » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:59 pm

Alright. ...I wasn't certain if it would kick up too much dust or anything, what with the whole being in a desert deal. I'm trying to go as green as possible for this...solar power, wind power, no generators or anything.
JDCookMS

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:17 pm

I think those don't quite work the way you said. I think they spin and suck air up and out, and that moves the air lower down.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby JDCookMS » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:45 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I think those don't quite work the way you said. I think they spin and suck air up and out, and that moves the air lower down.

Yeah, actually after I looked into it, that's not exactly what I was going for. ...I was thinking more of just a larger ceiling fan, that happens to be driven by the wind. So, the wind would catch the windmill on top, it would rotate a rod and that in turn would make the fan below work, and it would have a braking system on it so that it wouldn't create hurricane force winds inside of the dome.
JDCookMS

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:04 pm

so, just a thought:

if, you had a window, or two, or more.........and if it's windy enough, to turn a fan,
would not opening said windows, and allowing the wind to pass through, work?

or, am I missing something?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby JDCookMS » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:11 pm

ygmir wrote:so, just a thought:

if, you had a window, or two, or more.........and if it's windy enough, to turn a fan,

You know what? You....shush. Maybe I want more wind in there....you don't know me! :evil:

Now then, leave me alone so that I can create my next thread wondering how to create a gigantic LED round object that I can put above my tent, that will run off a solar panel, while the sun is up...because I want more sun. 8) haha
JDCookMS

Postby illy dilly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:15 pm

JDCookMS wrote:

You know what? You....shush. Maybe I want more wind in there....you don't know me! :evil:

Now then, leave me alone so that I can create my next thread wondering how to create a gigantic LED round object that I can put above my tent, that will run off a solar panel, while the sun is up...because I want more sun. 8) haha

Damn it!!!
In my head I was thinking "Ya know this fan thing sounds like a great idea. Wouldn't be that hard either..."
:roll:
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby JDCookMS » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 pm

illy dilly wrote:
JDCookMS wrote:

Damn it!!!
In my head I was thinking "Ya know this fan thing sounds like a great idea. Wouldn't be that hard either..."
:roll:

Well....could always run one off a solar panel/gen if you had extra power, for when it's not windy. (I hear it happens sometimes......)
JDCookMS

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Just do some sort of mechanical linkage:
http://www.whynot.net/ideas/4848
More efficient.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Token » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:07 pm

This why we cover only 1/3 of the dome. The middle third.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:12 pm

this sounds like a whole bunch of gadgetry when all you need is a roof flap like a teepee. simple, no moving parts and weighs practically nothing.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Bob » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:23 pm

I think the flapping problem is between the ears.

What you need is a punkah & a punkawallah.

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MikieCGY » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:47 am

solar panels are way too expensive for how little power output they have- its sad not to see these things more developed
MikieCGY

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:58 am

If it's not practical, it can still be an art project? :D
Ugly Dougly

Postby mr. fix-it » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:10 pm

you have the right idea. i did this on my building and it works fantastic. i used an old squrril cage fan out of a furnace, but i believe a roof turbine will work. if you choose a roof turbine for the drive make shure its a heavy duty one. i used an antenna stand for the frame to hold everything together.mount a bearing to the top of the antenna stand. send a shaft through the stand all the way through the roof. make sure the shaft is long enough. you will need enough space to mount a fly wheel for control and power. you can get one at any junk yard you will also need enough room for the fan blade. mount a bearing (pillow block) inside on the cieling. the mounting is pretty easy. just make sure you use the right style bearing. any farm supply store should have what you need.( make sure the bearings are greasable) . for my drive shaft i have 1"rolled steel because it fits . the size doesnt matter though. use whatever size that fits your parts. i like the squirell cage fan best because it has weight and is very durable. the bigger the better as it will give you more power.you can also stack them on top of each other, but mak sure they are between the bearings or you will lose your balance.the fly wheel is very important. it will keep you from spinning out of control and give the fan more power. as of yet i have no brake on mine so i cant turn it off. hope this gives you the info you need. this may sound complicated but its really not. if i can find someone to put pictures of mine on i will. its just to cool. good luck. heres an after thought. to make it water tight use a rubber boot for a roof pipe that will seal were the shaft goes through the roof. take another one and secure it on the shaft with a zip tie or hose clamp. (another after thought). put the boots on before you send the shaft through the roof.
mr. fix-it

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Zhust » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 am

JDCookMS wrote:Now then, leave me alone so that I can create my next thread wondering how to create a gigantic LED round object that I can put above my tent, that will run off a solar panel, while the sun is up...because I want more sun. 8) haha

See also, Candle-Powered Electric Candle.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Return to Keeping Cool