Black Rock City Yarn Shop

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Black Rock City Yarn Shop

Postby havoc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:23 am

I am considering opening a LYS (that stands for "local yarn shop" for you non-fiber-crafters) in BRC next year. I'd be gifting my stash (I'm already stocking up on clearance stuff), the use of my pattern books and a bunch of knitting needles, as well as a social work area. During open hours I'd be available to teach basic knitting to beginners...perhaps I'll do a group project one afternoon. I could bring my felting materials as well, needle felting is pretty fun and easy.

Thoughts? Good idea/bad idea? Any fiber crafters out there want to help/participate/donate? I do not crochet, but I'd love to have a crochet expert involved to teach! Spinners would be welcome too! :)

Now...what to call it? Most yarn shops have clever, kitschy names...I'll have to come up with a good one!
havoc

Re: Black Rock City Yarn Shop

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:14 pm

If you open it, people will come.

Bah, Bah, Black Rock...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:09 pm

Bah, Bah, Black Rock...

Oh, that's good. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 am

Knit pick.

Knit wits.

Knit nacks. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby havoc » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:14 am

theCryptofishist wrote:If you open it, people will come.

Bah, Bah, Black Rock...

haha, i was thinking the same thing! love it. :)

looks like i will be hitting up post-christmas yarn sales this year, wheee!
havoc

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:06 am

I have been wanting to learn how to knit for awhile now. So yes, I would love to come by your yarn shop for a lesson.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tummler » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Love this idea! Don't know how many extra knitting needles you have but wanted to mention the quick-fix DIY knitting needles: chop sticks. Just sharpen the end with a pencil sharpener and then smooth the sticks with sandpaper or, even easier, waxed paper. You can burn them when you're done with them, or saw off the ends and reuse them for eating! I think they're probably an 8 or 10, and great for knitting cotton dishrags.
tummler

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Knitting needles show up at thrift shops regularly.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jcliff » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:28 pm

Think this is an awesome idea! I've always wanted to learn how to knit, and I can't think of a better way to spend a couple hours in the heat of the day.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby tummler » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:49 am

Ah, thrift store! Guess I spend more time ordering in Asian food than visiting the thrift store, which is why I have so many extra chop sticks. I just don't have good "thrift eye": whenever I check out the craft area, all I see is acrylic yarn and half-done needlepoint kits. A friend knit a beautiful sweater from some hand-spun she found at a garage sale. Sigh.
tummler

Postby havoc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 am

brilliant idea tummler! sounds like a fun crafty thing to do. :)

and thanks fishie...i will begin keeping my eye out at thrifties. there's a factory seconds/loss leader store in indy called tuesday morning (do they have those in other cities? i LOVE that place.) that regularly has cheap yarn and needles, so i'll be scouting them out as well.

yeeeee, i'm getting excited already...wtf, it's not even new years yet!!
Last edited by havoc on Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
havoc

Postby havoc » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:59 am

oh, another thing i was thinking about doing was hitting up goodwill when they're having some kind of daily special on sweaters and getting a bunch of nice ones to unravel and skein up. i know lots of people do this (with mixed success), but it sounds like a potentially great way to get some really nice yarns for really cheap.
havoc

Postby larsonfarmer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:21 pm

sounds great, ill definetly come by and learn some basic knitting. cant wait!
larsonfarmer

Yarn Shop

Postby KodiakM » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:56 am

I love this idea! I crocheted a set of fishnet stockings and a garterbelt for my post-apochalyptic-playa-explorer costume because I wanted something I could spin fire in and Wool and Cotton don't melt to your skin. But I still have a ton of yarn (Ok, maybe 75 lbs) I'll probably never use even if I lived to be 100, so I'd be happy to donate some of it.

Naughty Knits
Yarngasm
Knitty Gritty Black Rock City
Yarn whorder
http://playaprep.blogspot.com

The old ways should be preserved, for some day our children may wish to know where we came from.
KodiakM

Postby bigmama22 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Love this idea. We'll find you on the playa. Planning on bringing our knitting baskets for "something else to do" during the heat of the day that we can do while having cocktails and sitting in the shade!!
bigmama22

Postby VultureChow » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 pm

havoc wrote:I am considering opening a LYS (that stands for "local yarn shop" for you non-fiber-crafters) in BRC next year. I'd be gifting my stash (I'm already stocking up on clearance stuff), the use of my pattern books and a bunch of knitting needles, as well as a social work area. During open hours I'd be available to teach basic knitting to beginners...perhaps I'll do a group project one afternoon. I could bring my felting materials as well, needle felting is pretty fun and easy.

Thoughts? Good idea/bad idea? Any fiber crafters out there want to help/participate/donate? I do not crochet, but I'd love to have a crochet expert involved to teach! Spinners would be welcome too! :)

Now...what to call it? Most yarn shops have clever, kitschy names...I'll have to come up with a good one!

I'm no expert, but I can show up to crochet. And to contribute some yarn.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Cheyenne » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:18 pm

I can help with teaching an ancient style of knitting called 'Narlbinding' I have a bunch of bone needles that people can take away with them to practice their Narlbinding back at home...

Its a type of knitting that was used extensively in Ancient Egypt :)

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Sassy Britches » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:52 pm

Great idea! I would love to learn to knit or crochet, and would make a point to come by!
Sassy Britches

Postby KodiakM » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:06 pm

Cheyenne wrote:I can help with teaching an ancient style of knitting called 'Narlbinding' I have a bunch of bone needles that people can take away with them to practice their Narlbinding back at home...

Its a type of knitting that was used extensively in Ancient Egypt :)

Naalbinding! I'd love to learn how to do that proper :)
http://playaprep.blogspot.com

The old ways should be preserved, for some day our children may wish to know where we came from.
KodiakM

Postby maryanimal » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:44 pm

This is a great idea! I'd love to learn to knit and/or crochet! I will definately stop in!!

Stitch and Bitch

Purls of Wisdom

"Knotty" Knitters
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby tummler » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:15 am

Just thought of doing some wool knitting in combo with grey water for evaporation and felting. Sort of a dirty felting project? Might be gross, might be a hypothesis that just doesn't, um, hold water.
tummler

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 am

Isn't felting best done with warm to hot water? are you going to add a solar oven to that?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby remi » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:11 am

Yay! I've been wanting to learn to knit for a while now, and this will be the perfect opportunity! Please make sure to post what area you plan to be camping in. This is something I don't want to miss.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?
remi

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:32 am

You may think that, but playa brain being what it is...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby flightless » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:01 am

This is a fabulous idea! I hope to come by, hopefully with yarn to donate.
flightless

Postby havoc » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:13 pm

lovely! i am now really quite excited about the prospect of meeting up with a bunch of fellow fiber nerds and getting some newbies hooked on knitting. i will definitely be posting about progress, and i must admit, i REALLY love the name "baa baa black rock". :D
havoc

Postby cherryblossom73 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:20 pm

My husband linked me to this thread a while ago (he's a veteran, and I'll be a virgin this year) and as we didn't know if we would have tickets, I didn't comment. Now that we know our trip is on, I would love to contribute to this venture! I knit and crochet (although I don't claim to be an expert at either) and would love to contribute yarn and possibly needles, and I could definitely help with teaching the basics. :D
cherryblossom73

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Postby havoc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:03 am

we'll see what happens with me as far as tickets go. currently i do not have a ticket or a lead on getting one.

if i am unable to get a ticket, i would like to continue planning and funding the project if someone would be willing to actually put it up and run it in BRC. i would be willing to do the following:

- create and maintain camp roster & contact information
- create and maintain a rough schedule/timeline of arrivals, build, classes, etc
- complete the theme camp application (now that i have experience with it!)
- distribute any early entry passes to people willing to build and set up
- donate yarn, needles and laminated instruction sheets for those teaching classes (to be mailed to early arrivals)
- allow the use of my existing infrastructure (costco barns, lighting & some playatech chairs), which is in a storage space in reno
- possibly other items, such as signage, playatech storage furniture, etc., depending on need.

if anyone who has a ticket is interested in running with the idea, shoot me a PM. there seems to be enough interest that even if i don't make it out to the playa, this project might! :)
havoc

Postby havoc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:38 am

good morning lovelies!

i found myself some tickets...AND an amazing partner to help me run the camp! as such, i'm happy to announce that Baa Baa Black Rock will be on the playa in 2012, and we are fairly certain we will be on or around the 9:00 plaza! we welcome all levels of fibercrafters to join us, and we would absolutely LOVE any contributions of yarn, needles, hooks, fiber and/or your valuable time and knowledge! <3

we are currently in the process of working up a schedule and set of patterns and snagging clearance yarn and needles wherever we can find them. stay tuned for more information about when we will be hosting classes, workshops and open circles!

additionally, if you (or someone you know) would be interested in leading a workshop or teaching a class, please get in touch with me via PM...we'd love to have you! we welcome ALL flavors of fibercraft: knitting, crochet, needle felting, spinning (although i can say i won't be bringing a wheel, lol) and whatever else your fertile imaginations can dream up!

thanks as always for all the love and support and we hope to be stitching it up with you come late august! <3

-havoc
havoc

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:19 am

I'm wondering if you and To Dye For might want to do some sort of cross referencing...
Just fiber craft whatevers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Next

Return to 2012 Art & Performance