low income tickets

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

low income tickets

Postby muelal » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:33 pm

I am a school teaching assistant and will apply for a low income ticket. If I am fortunate to obtain one would I be able to sell it if I am unable to go.
I will not know my teaching assignment or schedule until August.
muelal

Re: low income tickets

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:22 pm

Low Income ticket information will be available in the Spring, after the Main Ticket Sale has begun--including information as to what to do with a Low Income ticket if you can't go after all.

I'd suggest checking the main Burning Man home page regularly (if you're not doing so already) and adding yourself to the Jack Rabbit Speaks email newsletter, so that you'll know when to apply.

http://burningman.com/blackrockcity_yea ... lists.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:38 pm

I think you can sell it back to the llc, but you cannot transfer it to another person.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Does anyone have any info on how much they will cost and roughly when it will be due? I think it is interesting that they are keeping this info to them selfs when low income are the people that REALLY need to budget to be able to go. Leaving little time to budget REALLY fucking sucks im not going to lie. I am starting to wonder if I am even going to be able to make it now cause I have no info and wont for a while.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Sham » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 pm

TG, set $200 aside and that should cover what the low income ticket is. I have no inside info, but from past pricing, that should cover you. Just keep in mind that not every low income application gets accepted. If there are too many applications and not enough tickets, well, you know what happens then.
Sham

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:48 pm

Shambala wrote:TG, set $200 aside and that should cover what the low income ticket is. I have no inside info, but from past pricing, that should cover you. Just keep in mind that not every low income application gets accepted. If there are too many applications and not enough tickets, well, you know what happens then.

I have to go back to hookering or sell my pristine kidney on the black market?
tattoogoddess

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Shambala wrote:TG, set $200 aside and that should cover what the low income ticket is. I have no inside info, but from past pricing, that should cover you.

From the ticket FAQ (I think this is a recent addition, I don't remember it being there before):
Burning Man Ticket FAQ wrote:Low Income tickets will be available via application in the Spring and will be $160.

Pristine kidneys are always a good sale for the black market, fyi...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sham » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:04 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I have to go back to hookering or sell my pristine kidney on the black market?

My mother used to do hookering. She made some beautiful rugs!
Sham

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Here's what I would do: budget as if I were going. I'd only be in suspense for a few months. It's actually sometimes less painful to start saving early, because if I have, let's say: 8 months to save $800, this would be easier (little bit here, little bit there) than trying to come up with that amount in 4 months (big sacrifices).

If I didn't end up going, I'd have a little chunk of change with which to do something else.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby gyre » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:46 am

From the past, I imagine they will tell you to sell them if you can't go.

Scholarship tickets were paid for at will call, so when you couldn't attend, you told them so they could re-offer them.

This year?
We'll see.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:57 am

@muelal - I couldn't say. The program is being revamped, and details have not yet been made available.

@tattoogoddess - as per the FAQ information posted in mid-November, low income tickets will be $160.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:30 am

I can confirm that low income tickets WILL NOT BE TRANSFERRABLE. Further details of the program will be announced at a later date.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 pm

trilobyte wrote:@tattoogoddess - as per the FAQ information posted in mid-November, low income tickets will be $160.

Are these the updated ones? If so that makes me breath a bit easier. Any idea if I pay at the gate as stated?

Oi. I wish the info would be released now that the main sale is going on.
tattoogoddess

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:20 am

It's been in each update to the FAQ since the first was posted in November. Reading is fundamental.

Remember, if registering for the main sale even at the lowest tier is within your financial capability, you may not be an ideal candidate for the low income ticket program.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:57 pm

I would take it that they usually sell out of low income tickets pretty quickly. So, I know that it is an application, but is it on a first come first served basis, or a lottery like how they are doing the main sales? (Regardless, I plan on putting in my application the same day that they come out, but I was just curious.)
JDCookMS

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 pm

trilobyte wrote:It's been in each update to the FAQ since the first was posted in November. Reading is fundamental.

Remember, if registering for the main sale even at the lowest tier is within your financial capability, you may not be an ideal candidate for the low income ticket program.

I have been reading it I just could not remember when it was updated. I do not plan on doing the main sale. It is not in my budget right now :( Christmas cleaned me out.
tattoogoddess

Postby TheWhiteRabbit » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:32 pm

Burning Man is still Burning Man, even with a new ticketing system and last years ticket crisis to look back on.
I want to go to Burning Man with everything i am. I'm a broke Arts student, living on the opposite side of the world to where the festival is held. My ticket looks a long way off, let alone my flight and everything... But It's Burning Man... Anythings possible.

Love and a little bit of luck. x
TheWhiteRabbit

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:49 pm

JDCookMS wrote:I would take it that they usually sell out of low income tickets pretty quickly. So, I know that it is an application, but is it on a first come first served basis, or a lottery like how they are doing the main sales? (Regardless, I plan on putting in my application the same day that they come out, but I was just curious.)

Low income tickets are chosen on a case by case basis, not first-come, first-served. From the Low Income Ticket FAQ:

Ticket FAQ wrote:Q: How does the Low Income Ticket Program work?
A: Low Income tickets are intended for those who cannot afford even our lowest priced tickets. On February 15th, we will publish information about how to apply for a Low Income ticket. These applications will be reviewed by hand by our ticket team to determine who gets them. These tickets are awarded one per person.

In other words- they're all looked at individually, the people who are chosen get chosen based on need, not on how quickly they get their application in (within the time frame allotted, of course).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:11 pm

JDCookMS wrote:I would take it that they usually sell out of low income tickets pretty quickly. So, I know that it is an application, but is it on a first come first served basis, or a lottery like how they are doing the main sales? (Regardless, I plan on putting in my application the same day that they come out, but I was just curious.)
They have only sold out the last two years, at least in a way that anyone would notice.

While they have never been first come, when you applied in the past could have some effect, though it could actually work in your favor, up until they sold out.
They have never given many details about this process, past what is on the application.

It doesn't appear that timing will have any effect at all this year, though how they will manage such a daunting workload I don't know.
gyre

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:30 pm

muelal wrote:I am a school teaching assistant and will apply for a low income ticket. If I am fortunate to obtain one would I be able to sell it if I am unable to go.
I will not know my teaching assignment or schedule until August.

Direct from the Ticket Overlords ~

Low Income tickets will all be held at will call and paid for upon pickup.

If someone can't go, the person isn't out the money and stuck with selling it.
gyre

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:13 am

Historically, there have never been enough low income/scholarship tickets to go around. As has been posted in several places, those programs are being merged into a single low income program and re-worked. There will be more low income tickets this year than there were in the two programs combined, and details of the program will be made available in February.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion