Volunteering

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Volunteering

Postby RayMcKay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey, I was just wondering what different kinds of volunteering positions are available? 2012 will be my first year, and I wouldn't mind helping out with everything. :D
We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.
RayMcKay

Re: Volunteering

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:05 pm

There are many things you can volunteer for but I believe the accepted wisdom for first timers is to wait and volunteer on the playa, rather than commit yourself ahead of time. That was my plan for my first time and I was so beat down by the environment and insufficient fitness that I never managed to make it to anyplace to volunteer - at least I didn't cause problems by pre booking my volunteer efforts. You may have the best of intentions, but it's hard to plan what's gonna happen on playa time if you've never been there.

There are several groups that take volunteers on the spot such as lamplighters, post office, and iirc the portapotty project but those who know more about these and others will be replying shortly I'm sure.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby jkisha » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:09 pm

Tons of things to get involved with http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html But this link was readily available on the main web site. Which then begs the question: If you are planning on going to TTITD, have you done all the rest of your preliminary reading?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Sign up to the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter and your local regional group's mailing list, they'll have information in the spring about volunteering/participating with different departments, I believe.

As a rule, though, in your first year you shouldn't plan or schedule volunteer shifts in advance. For starters, your presence on the playa is a gift to the community - just worry about getting out there in one piece and enjoying the experience. Second, as you'll probably discover over the course of the next ten months, getting out there takes a lot more than most people imagine. Regardless of the experience you may have with camping or anything else related... Burning Man is something else. If you sign up for a bunch of stuff, you may find yourself in a situation where things get overwhelming as the event approaches (or you get out there). Then there's also a certain 'holy shit' factor, where new folks who are prepared and ready to go get out there and just get completely lost (in a very good way), and for one reason or another have incredible difficulty honoring any of those commitments (which then sucks for the group that was in need of help).

Don't worry though, there will be plenty of opportunities for volunteering and pitching in on the playa. Head to Playa Info (next to Center Camp) on any given day, I believe there's a temporary job service that helps put volunteers in touch with artists and projects that can use a hand immediately. There's also the Lamplighters (also near Center Camp), hit them up on any afternoon and you can help them light the streets of Black Rock City. And there's BRCPO - the post office, which can also put volunteers to work every day, delivering packages and messages to points all around Black Rock City. I'm sure there are other 'on the day' volunteer options too.

Good luck, and hope to see you out there :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:22 pm

I preferentially look for virgins to go on Poop Patrol.
Feel free to review "all about participating in the pottie project" for more information.
When: any time you can jump in my car. The shift is 4 hours long - more or less. And you get fed at Kommissary.
Where: find me at Terminal City in the morning or when you come on by. Drink other people's beer while you're waiting.
What: cruise the city distributing tp and listening to my bullshit
Why: because it's the best job on the Playa!

Enjoy your year of anticipation. Read everything.

Thanks for jumping in.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby RayMcKay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Excellent! I'll check those links out and take the advice you guys give me. Is there any rules about cameras? Some music festivals I've been too, didn't want me using an SLR for the little videos I like to make.
We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.
RayMcKay

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:46 pm

You'll want to fill out a Personal Use Agreement at "Playa Info" in Center Camp.

Lots of photography info here, useful for professionals and others alike:
http://www.burningman.com/press/

Of particular interest:

Personal Use of Video Cameras
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... meras.html

Etiquette and general stuff:
http://www.burningman.com/press/photo_guide.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby britzbitz » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Listneing to BMIR during the Burn this year was fantastic and painful.

But, painful as it was, it made me realize that I must volunteer at Media Mecca. *fingers crossed*

I actually sent in an application DURING Burning Man, because I couldn't wait.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby gyre » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 pm

Don't restrict yourself to areas of professional skill you already have.
gyre

Postby lazerfox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:14 pm

robbidobbs wrote:I preferentially look for virgins to go on Poop Patrol.
Feel free to review "all about participating in the pottie project" for more information.
When: any time you can jump in my car. The shift is 4 hours long - more or less. And you get fed at Kommissary.
Where: find me at Terminal City in the morning or when you come on by. Drink other people's beer while you're waiting.
What: cruise the city distributing tp and listening to my bullshit
Why: because it's the best job on the Playa!

Enjoy your year of anticipation. Read everything.

Thanks for jumping in.

Where do I sign up for 2012!?
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:22 pm

There isn't a formal signup, just jump in my car. In the morning Gonzo and I leave at 7am sharp. I mozy thru TC occasionally, but I monitor the entire city so no set schedule. If you see me, and it's daylight, you're in. I totally want your help lazerfox! It's a sweet gig!

BTW: Gonzo's from Orlando. He'll be just tickled if you can join us.
robbidobbs

Postby lazerfox » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:32 pm

robbidobbs wrote:There isn't a formal signup, just jump in my car. In the morning Gonzo and I leave at 7am sharp. I mozy thru TC occasionally, but I monitor the entire city so no set schedule. If you see me, and it's daylight, you're in. I totally want your help lazerfox! It's a sweet gig!

O-Town in the house...although by next year I should (hopefully) no longer be a resident of Orlando. Planning on moving out of state in June 2012. And uh...I don't think I've seen pics of you :shock: So I'll need to figure out how to recognize you :oops:
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:59 pm

robbidobbs wrote:BTW: Gonzo's from Orlando. He'll be just tickled if you can join us.

Wait WHAT?!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:32 pm

PlayaMobile.jpg
PlayaMobile.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 4654 times

By my car...
robbidobbs

Postby CapSmashy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:18 pm

Poop patrol is AWESOME!

You'll see large areas of the city that you probably would have never gotten around to visiting.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby JDCookMS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:35 pm

robbidobbs wrote:There isn't a formal signup, just jump in my car. In the morning Gonzo and I leave at 7am sharp. I mozy thru TC occasionally, but I monitor the entire city so no set schedule. If you see me, and it's daylight, you're in. I totally want your help lazerfox! It's a sweet gig!

Are you going to be doing it this coming year? It definitely sounds like an experience.
JDCookMS

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:21 am

This year and every year for the forseeable future.

That's an educated guess. I have no formal roll as her spokesfish.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:35 pm

this is the last year of the porta potty program

in 2013 burning man you will need to bring your own shitter.

you can pick up your 5 gallon buckets at first camp.. while they last.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 pm

lemur wrote:this is the last year of the porta potty program

in 2013 burning man you will need to bring your own shitter.

you can pick up your 5 gallon buckets at first camp.. while they last.

.... I am hoping that you're joking, because that sounds terrible. ...and by terrible I mean that it sucks because next year I'll have to spend more money and that'll take more organization.

It also means that I have definitely got to hit robbidobbs up this year, just in case. I figure, this is going to be a whole new experience, so why not try out stuff that I've never done before/would never normally do, eh?
JDCookMS

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Yes, Lemur is @#$%ing with you. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Savannah wrote:Yes, Lemur is @#$%ing with you. :lol:

Messing with the birgin....that's not nice. :cry: lol
JDCookMS

Postby lazerfox » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:40 pm

JDCookMS wrote:
Savannah wrote:Yes, Lemur is @#$%ing with you. :lol:

Messing with the birgin....that's not nice. :cry: lol

It's more of a rite of passage...
lazerfox

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:48 pm

Sorry, I was joking and there's not an edit button (that I see, at least). Although I haven't been yet, I do believe that if the porta potty people decided to stop servicing BRC then it would definitely affect the event in a negative fashion. But, I'm just ready to go :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
JDCookMS

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:34 pm

You only have a short window of time in which you can edit a post - after that, no more edit button.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:53 pm

JDCookMS wrote:Sorry, I was joking and there's not an edit button (that I see, at least). Although I haven't been yet, I do believe that if the porta potty people decided to stop servicing BRC then it would definitely affect the event in a negative fashion. But, I'm just ready to go :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=31928&p=496230&hilit=poop#p496230
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:46 pm

ygmir wrote:
JDCookMS wrote:Sorry, I was joking and there's not an edit button (that I see, at least). Although I haven't been yet, I do believe that if the porta potty people decided to stop servicing BRC then it would definitely affect the event in a negative fashion. But, I'm just ready to go :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Well played dear sir. That is pretty amazing.... amazing enough to even get a bump.
JDCookMS

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:55 pm

JDCookMS wrote:
ygmir wrote:

Well played dear sir. That is pretty amazing.... amazing enough to even get a bump.

*nods and tips hat*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm

JDCookMS wrote:

Are you going to be doing it this coming year? It definitely sounds like an experience.

Yes, it is an experience that many have looked back upon as their life changing look at how the great experience that is BurningMan is.

That said, feel free to find me in Terminal City to go out and enjoy the excrementory enlightenment that is the Pottie Project.
robbidobbs

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:53 pm

JDCookMS wrote: I do believe that if the porta potty people decided to stop servicing BRC then it would definitely affect the event in a negative fashion.

This is why it is such an important volunteer gig.
gyre

Postby zombiegrease » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:41 pm

id love to help
zombiegrease

Next

Return to Get Involved!