Showering in Black Rock City

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: Showering in Black Rock City

Postby CornMan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm

For my showers last year, I first filled up a 5 gallon bucket with water and put it on the pallet in our shower stall. I dipped my head in the bucket of water and rubbed and agitated my hair. I then lathered up with shampoo, rubbed and agitated the hair, and then dipped my head in the bucket again while rubbing my hair in the water. I repeated the above step with conditioner, but combed my hair before dipping my head. Then I poured the bucket of shampooy/conditionery water over my whole body to get really wet and rinse off the dust. I did the rest of my shower the conventional way with a hanging shower bag. I felt and was CLEAN for a good long time after that. Whatever water didn't evaporate in our ponds, I put back in the containers and trucked it home. We had enough water to do that every day. About 30 gallons total for me in my case for showering nearly every day.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:43 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I'm going to chime in again with my two cents. I've always gone to Burning Man in an RV, but in all those years have never used the shower. In fact, we pretty much forbid it. Years ago we built by hand the shower we used up until now, when it will be likely replaced with an "new and improved!" version. It's outdoors, open to the elements, and sure, we use a car battery for electricity so it actually sprays warmish water and you can get clean. BDC&WB also supplies loufahs because somebody should be holding the nozzle and loufahing your back in order to make the experience that much more, shall we say, Burningmanlike? Some will turn their noses up and say the we are the lap of luxury, and they'd be right. But we eschew the RV shower for one of the best outdoors showers at TTITD, and that seems more than a "reasonable compromise"; indeed, I should thing most camps would embrace it. We can recycle our gray water, people in tents and yurts can have full use of the system, and everybody seems pretty happy about it. Tell me I'm not missing something here?

No it seems like I am the one who is missing something; I used the shower at BDC all by myself, dagnabbit, TWICE. Next time I will knock on your door. :)
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby tamarakay » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:42 pm

The shower at BDC was amazing. It was lovely having the shower stall big enough for the two of us. We shower together every morning in "defaultia" so it was really nice to be able to do that on playa also. We also had a garden sprayer for quick rinses.

It took me a little bit to get accustomed to people walking by and chatting me up while I was in the shower, but kendoll took to it right away lol.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Well, at least half of you did it right.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Sassy Britches » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Drawingablank wrote:So this year we are traveling light and will bathe with wipes and no rinse shampoo.

Exactly what we did this year. The wipes - big camping versions - were surprisingly refreshing and we helped each other with them, making it fun too. Best part of no rinse shampoo was the head massage when getting shampood, but hair never felt clean from the first day. We also had a small tub that we used for vinegar water foot baths. Now that was luxury! Next year will do same, but plan to also take advantage of human carcass wash a couple of times.
Sassy Britches

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:57 am

Sassy Britches wrote:Best part of no rinse shampoo was the head massage when getting shampood, but hair never felt clean from the first day.

I tried both last year and real shampoo does get you feeling a bit cleaner, but the feeling is short lived. I just gave up and embraced having my hair feel like straw.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 am

tamarakay wrote:
It took me a little bit to get accustomed to people walking by and chatting me up while I was in the shower, but kendoll took to it right away lol.

A rambling story, off on a tangent;

When I was 18 and had moved to San Francisco, I moved into Project Artaud, which had been the American Can Factory. None of the living spaces had actual toilet/shower facilities, these were installed where the once public restrooms had been at the ends of the halls. Some of the stalls had shower curtains, more or less. I did get used to friends, neighbors, and random strangers chatting me up as I showered. I was only uncomfortable once, as the guy was asking directions, didn't belong in the building, and no one else was nearby. I just kept soaping. I may have made his day.

BRC really does feel like a return to my misspent youth now and then.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby teardropper » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:14 pm

I have an ancient motorhome and there are just two of us. The shower works, but we have only used it once. Well, once that we used the water heater and the pump and stood in the shower. We use the 2 1/2 gallon Sun Shower (recommend this brand) and put it in the shower inside. Only small amount of water but gets you pretty clean. But, this was her and it was in, an understandable I-don't-give-a-shit moment. She had to have a shower, and it had to be a real one and she had to wash her hair and rinse it properly. It was OK. I think it was the first year and that shit happens... She's much better now.

The problem with that method is that you have to duck down to get any water pressure. At the least, this year, I will get a pump to get the water over head. At the most, an outdoor shower, using most of this method, a pond and another pump to bring the water out. That way, anyone in camp, or hell anyone, can use the shower -- provided, they bring water and take it away. It's true. The water was brought in, just as easy to take out.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping