Why 2012 Should be themed around 'Strength.'

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Why 2012 Should be themed around 'Strength.'

Postby TheRealSteveGlen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:36 pm

Why This Year's Burning Man Theme Should Be About Strength: an Open
Letter to Black Rock City Planners and Citizens of Black Rock City.

This year, 2012, Burning Man should celebrate the theme of Strength.
Strength is a theme that has been a part of Burning Man culture, so as we expect a sell-out event, why not look inwards and celebrate an attribute that has made Burning Man successful? The core principles along with the nature of the event build immediate strength in every Burner, and now, more than ever do we need to validate this powerful aspect of Burning Man.

Let me start by explaining why Burning Man is important and why you should attend, besides the fact that you will have lots and lots and lots of fun. With only a week to see 50 000 people and all of their favorite things it makes this experience intense: which means this social, creative experiment will have you fully engaged into your environment. Burners are some of the coolest people on earth because they have had their lives enriched by relationships –new and old- (from the gathering of people), and by the inspiration they have received (from this gathering of ideas). Privately, more enrichment comes in the form of learned life lessons: ‘cause we all make mistakes… but those moments pass and we are left with smiling photos to show the public. And we tell them, with our enriched souls, that they can be anything and we believe it.

I believe 2011’s theme of Transition is partly responsible for Occupy and the global quest for change. At last year’s Burn, it seemed like many citizens were undergoing a life transition to something better and more purposeful. Yes, the theme affects the conscious mindset of the people and I will mention that there seems to be some playa magic that enhances Burn experiences once the playa has been blessed with a righteous theme. More importantly, the theme will influence the art at this art festival and since art effects life, and life effects art, this outwards spiraling cycle will influence culture. Global culture, because BM is not an island in the desert.

It’s time to stop pretending that Burning Man is some “Never-Never Land” that escapes the world and instead realize that BM is a society that influences all living cultures. It’s time to take responsibility for the world and help adjust its course. We burners have extraordinary amount of power: we have education, networks, energy, freedom, skills, experience, patience and love. This power makes me think of a famous quote.

“With Great Power comes Great Responsibility.”

Yes, we are responsible for influencing our fellow humans to become better people.

Building a theme around Strength will benefit Burning Man because last year was a Transition to something new, and it will require courage and will to push beyond into the unknown. Centering a theme on strength will reinforce the core principles of immediate self-expression and self-reliance. It is known that Burners have the strength to be different. We have ideas, we have love, and we have technology. What we need is the strength to do what’s right. We need strength to lead and make This World beautiful. In a world of escalating tensions, constant warring, financial insecurity and meek culture, 2012 needs heroes of positive light and immortal strength.

We have already proven that Burners have the strength the build something beautiful, fill it with emotion; then let it go…. and burn it to the ground.

If we can do that, we can do anything.

Man of Spirit.
Temple of Strength.

Steve Glen, 2012
TheRealSteveGlen

Re: Why 2012 Should be themed around 'Strength.'

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:38 pm

That's not it. But hey, welcome to ePlaya! Feel free to stop over in the Greeter's Station and post a short introduction.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby oneeyeddick » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm

As soon as I read the would "should" I knew the same, Trilo.

But I am just a Dick, after all.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:50 pm

Sola? Sola Gangsta? is that you........?..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:16 pm

I think Strength is a lousy theme. But of course, the current one sucks as well. That's why I (and those of us from BDV) ignore the theme. It always sucks. And our themecamp never changes anyway [if we had our chance, the theme every year would be Barbie] and your plans aren't going to make a bit of difference. So why worry about it? Go to Burning Man, have fun, and just do your thing. In the final analysis, the theme is completely irrelavent and Black Rock City looks the same year after year. So screw the theme altogether.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:33 pm

tltr
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to 2012 Theme