Important 2012 Main Sale Registration Information

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Important 2012 Main Sale Registration Information

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Important 2012 Main Sale Information

• The card you use to order tickets must be in your name and your address information must match. If you would like to have your tickets shipped to a different address, there will be a way to change your ship-to address after the drawing and tickets have been awarded.
  • If you're using a debit card, make sure you check the daily spending/withdrawal limit on your card. Contact your bank to have it raised if necessary, (and to make sure that a charge from Burning Man is AOK to process). Make sure that you have enough available funds to cover the purchase in your account no later than January 23rd. Don't forget to include the additional fees.
  • If you are using a pre-paid card, make sure the card is registered in your name. Check the service number on the back of your card and call them to confirm or make changes to the name and address it's registered to. When loading up your account, don't forget to include the additional fees.
  • Check your expiration date! Make sure you are not using a card that will expire before the selection takes place.
  • Make sure orders(at)burningman(dot)com is on your safe list with your email program or service provider. That way confirmations and correspondence won't end up getting blocked as spam.
Most importantly - DOUBLE CHECK YOUR REGISTRATION INFO BEFORE YOU HIT THE SUBMIT BUTTON! Make sure you got the # of tickets right, the ship method right, and all your details right. Print the page.

If you make a mistake with your registration and need to re-enter your info, contact Participant Services using the partiserv(at)burningman(dot)com email address.

Registration for the main sale is open from Monday January 9th at Noon (PST) to Sunday January 22nd at 11:59PM (PST) using the link on the Tickets page. After registration closes, the lists will be de-duped, cleaned and scrubbed, and then the drawing will begin. When your name is drawn, you will be charged for the number of tickets you registered for, at the pricing tier you were awarded tickets (plus the additional fees).

Declined cards will not have the opportunity to correct or re-submit information for the main sale. You will have to wait for another chance to purchase tickets in the secondary sale in March.

Secondary Sale

• On March 28, any remaining tickets from the main sale plus an additional 10,000 tickets will be made available via open sale (first come, first served).
  • Ticket limit for the secondary sale is 4. If you purchased 1 or 2 tickets in the main sale, you will be eligible to purchase additional tickets in the secondary sale (up to your limit of 4).

After-Market Sales

• Tickets will not be mailed out until June. Will call ticket transfers will not be accepted until tickets are mailed out.
  • ePlaya will not allow listings for Tickets Offered or Tickets Wanted until tickets are mailed out.
  • Burning Man will also make a ticket resale system available on the site, with details expected to be announced in June.

Low Income Tickets

• Details of the low income ticket program will not be posted until sometime after the main sale. This is not a change - in years past, details weren't posted until the lower tiers were all sold through.
  • You have to choose between applying for low income, or purchasing tickets through the main/secondary sale. This is not a change - in years past, if you'd bought a ticket when they went on sale and then applied for low income, the application was rejected. If you can afford to apply for a ticket in the main sale at even the lowest tier, you should go that route.
  • Low income tickets will be $160, and will not be transferrable.

And Finally...

40,000 tickets is more than enough to cover the normal and natural growth of the event (and then some), and the registration process prevents the use of automated ticket buying software by professional scalpers. So long as significant numbers of people don't stockpile tickets for others, there should be plenty to go around.

For more information, please see the ticket info page or the FAQ.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Important 2012 Main Sale Registration Information

Postby asaxon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

I just ordered tickets, and got the confirmation email. Will there be a "test charge" on the credit card to indicate everything is OK? Is there any way, after the fact, to view / edit the information?

I didn't see this post until after ordering, so I did not print a copy :-( The confirmation email does not have the billing details. I did double check, but sometimes things can still slip through. It seems VERY extreme to not offer either a test charge or a way to make corrections if something fails. It means if I entered one number wrong I'll have to wait three months to know if I can even go?
Last edited by asaxon on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asaxon

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:44 pm

There will be a test charge of $1.01, or thereabouts.

You will be charged on or before Feb 1. Technically, charges could occur as early as January 23rd, though that's a bit early. (Registration for this Main Sale closes on January 22nd).
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby asaxon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Savannah wrote:There will be a test charge of $1.01, or thereabouts.

Is this official BM info? From the pre-sale? from past years?

If it's true I'm very happy to hear this!

I have not yet seen a test charge, and have called my credit card company to check as well. Any idea when I should expect to see it?

I'm not as concerned with when the full charge comes through, but in making sure that the info is correct BEFORE the drawing....

asaxon

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:57 pm

A test charge/pre-auth is run during the lottery process (not at time of registration). You'll receive notification one way or the other on or before February 1 whether you've been awarded tickets or not.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby asaxon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:07 pm

trilobyte wrote:A test charge/pre-auth is run during the lottery process (not at time of registration). You'll receive notification one way or the other on or before February 1 whether you've been awarded tickets or not.

Thanks for answering :-)

However, now I'm even more confused... So, what is the point of the test charge?
Will there be a time between the test charge and the real charge to correct something if it fails?
If they are going to do a test charge anyway, why not do that before the drawing to allow for errors, both human and banks (fraud detection, mistakes, large sum etc)?
asaxon

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:18 pm

The pre-auth is not being done as a courtesy to you or as a means for you to correct mistakes you made in your registration, it's a part of the way the random selection transaction process works, it's between the ticketing vendor (InTicketing) and the cards/banks. Take your time, enter your information correctly.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:03 am

Registration for the main sale has now closed. Good luck to all those participating!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to 2012 Tickets Discussion