Bike Security

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Postby unjonharley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm

gyre wrote:At high distraction events, bike theft can be rapid and multiple.

Inside edition did a show about bike theft.
It took 16 minutes for their gps bike to be stolen.
The thief denied it, even though he is on film.

In the right location, it may not take long.

There are story on the eplaya already about bike being taken.. Some while people were watching a event.. The bikes were only feet away.. Guess that is where the bait bikes would do best..

I plan on bring a hi speed disc cutter and compressor.. People get these extra good locks then lose the key.. Or like me at the store.. Some ass busted up my combination on a cable lock.. Had a hell of a time getting it off..
unjonharley

Re: Bike Security

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 pm

bump
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 am

Alas, I am not able to go this year, but maybe we can do something with the bait bikes next year.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:18 am

Elliot wrote:Alas, I am not able to go this year, but maybe we can do something with the bait bikes next year.

awe DANG, Elliot!!!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:08 am

I with Yg, DANG! :(

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm sure Elliot is rubbing his hands with glee in anticipation...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:42 am

gyre

Postby skibear » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:00 pm

3 words:
USE A LOCK.
:(

Stops 99 44/100 percent of bike loss. 2/3rds are joyrides by burners too tired
to walk.
skibear

Postby unjonharley » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 am

Bump
unjonharley

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 am

bump

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby NessaZee » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:56 am

combo locks are awesome!!

can open and close without light in seconds, only move one of the numbers a single notch. very simple very easy.

(and no key to lose)
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby ianjthor » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:11 pm

I read through this thread and have spent some time on amazon researching good solutions to this. I'm building a unique method of transport for this August and I would hate to have it ripped off, it would definetly mess up my mojo.

I'm modifying a dirtsurfer (this thing: http://www.wingsurfer.co.uk/ ) to hold a couple saddle bags of LiFePO4 batteries and installing a hub motor in the rear wheel. Basically an e-bike conversion kit on an inline board. I'm really looking forward to surfing around the playa and checking out all the art etc . I'm going to lock it up but I am trying to find a good way to locate it should it get "lost".

It seems that this would be the most accurate/easy way : http://www.amazon.com/cost-real-tracker ... 025&sr=1-2 , But I dont think cell phone towers are going to work out there; I would have to wait until the offender got back to normal civilization to track it down. The other location devices I found didn't have much range.

Short of using Radio Telemetry, like what they use when tagging animals, I haven't found a good solution. If there was a camp willing to set up a Radio telemetry system it would be possible to track down any bike with an animal transmitter. Does anyone know of a good off the shelf system that would work or should I just up my level of cautiousness when I get to the event, ie: not letting strangers take my contraption on test-drives.

Sorry for the long post.

Ian.
ianjthor

Postby ianjthor » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:36 am

Here is the best option in my opinion because it sends the exact GPS location to you via a radio signal. No need for cellular service. Cheap DIY solution for around 2 miles. Probably further on the playa with no buildings and low interference, a stronger transmitter of the same make would boost range too. You could let the bike be stolen and then track it down at your leisure. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=993165

It would be great to catch the more serious thieves, bust them with a trailer of stolen $2000 bikes. The guy that did the last diy option said he built it for pretty cheap. If that's the case maybe several could be made. I would definitely pitch in to get the parts in bulk, maybe others would too. Install on a bunch of bikes. When they are stolen, check the location. If there is more than a couple bikes ending up in the same spot, you got your guy!

Some other stuff I found:
http://vectortrac.com/gps-bicycle-tracker

Portable HAM radio beacon and tracking device. 5+ mile range on the ground. Bit of an investment:
http://www.com-spec.com/rcplane/index.html
ianjthor

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:44 am

I've been trying to understand all the trackers, but still don't have a handle on all of it.

It has been recommended to me to rent.

Not all labeled as gps are gps.
Some use mobile towers, gps or a separate network, or all that.

There is also a direct transmitter that is tracked with a receiver.

Sounds like this one uses gps? and sends out with mobile?
Others use sat links.

Anything with gps will have an accuracy rating in feet or inches.

Not all have a monthly fee.

An important feature is stored memory when unable to transmit.
Sounds like it has that.

Consider external power source and flexibility.
Hardening.

You may need an external antenna.
I do.
This one doesn't offer that.

Doesn't look bad.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:29 am

Be sure to consider power consumption.

The different types have a large difference there.

The last three all look interesting, but quite different.

If anything has a european design, be sure it wil be compatible with usa radios.

There will be a large number of radios in use on the playa, including mobile phone radios.
Be sure to consider that interference.
gyre

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:19 am

ianjthor wrote:I'm modifying a dirtsurfer (this thing: http://www.wingsurfer.co.uk/ ) to hold a couple saddle bags of LiFePO4 batteries and installing a hub motor in the rear wheel. Basically an e-bike conversion kit on an inline board. I'm really looking forward to surfing around the playa and checking out all the art etc . I'm going to lock it up but I am trying to find a good way to locate it should it get "lost".

I'm not sure if things have changed, but bikes with motors were not allowed on the playa. Scooters that you would stand on were the only motorized transportation that was allowed. There are some great conversion kits available, but I would do some checking to see if they are in fact allowed. I know a few years back, some people in our camp had the motors removed at the gate. I did a quick search and didn't find any info on the website.

A reminder to all once again, is that a sturdy lock and a cheap bike are the best deterrents against someone borrowing your bike. It's not really theft that is an issue, but lazy people without a bike who don't want to walk long distances. Lock your bike!
Sham

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:38 am

Where have you been, Shambala?

Bikes with pedals are allowed with motors, but not gas engines.

Stand up gas scooters or electric are still allowed, last I heard.
gyre

Postby Sham » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:19 am

I do recall something a while back about it, but couldn't find anything on the official site about it. Gyre, is there any chance that you could find it and and provide a link?
Sham

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:02 am

Sham, the original info is buried in the 2009 threads.

Here is a secondary discussion. I don't have time this morning to see if the main DMV pages have been updated, they hadn't when last I looked.

viewtopic.php?f=286&t=50835&p=737974&hilit=electric+assist+motor#p737974
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:40 am

Burning Man Update: The Jack Rabbit Speaks
Volume 14, Issue #32: TRANSPORTATION EDITION
August 23, 2010

Someone posted that it is incorporated in the official rules, but as an addendum and hard to find.

I have confirmed that the rule change was made official.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:56 am

Nevada Rule

"As of May 19, 2009, Nevada amended its state transportation laws to explicitly permit electric bicycles to use any "trail or pedestrian walkway" intended for use with bicycles and constructed with federal funding, and otherwise generally permits electric bicycles to be operated in cases where a regular bicycle could be. An electric bicycle is defined as a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals with an electric motor producing up to 1 gross brake horsepower and up to 750 watts final output, and with a maximum speed of up to 20 miles per hour on flat ground with a 170 pound rider when powered only by that engine."
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:59 am

Shambala wrote:I do recall something a while back about it, but couldn't find anything on the official site about it. Gyre, is there any chance that you could find it and and provide a link?

You were on the thread where the news first broke, asking for a link in 2010.

The info first came from emails sent to rangers.
gyre

Postby gyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:36 am

JRS Newsletter wrote:

Electric bikes are allowed.

As per NRS 482.0287 “Electric bicycle” means a device upon which a person may ride, having two or three wheels, or every such device generally recognized as a bicycle that has fully operable pedals and is propelled by a small electric engine which produces not more than 1 gross brake horsepower and which produces not more than 750 watts final output, and:

1. Is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but is not a tractor; and

2. Powered solely by such a small electric engine, is capable of a maximum speed of not more than 20 miles per hour on a flat surface while carrying an operator who weighs 170 pounds.
The term does not include a moped.

Please note:

The Gate crew will be helping to identify any vehicle differing from the description above, or that appears to be more dangerous than the kind listed above.
If you have such a vehicle, you must either take it off site or leave it at the Gate outside Black Rock City until after the event.
Vehicles left outside the Gate are left at their owner's risk, so you may just want to leave it at home.
Once inside the city, the Rangers keep a close eye on the movement of vehicles, and will work to protect all of us by removing any that violate either the written, implied, or common sense rules of operation.
gyre

Bike Security

Postby gyre » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:14 am

How to Protect Your Bike

1. Get kitty.

2. Keep kitty near bike.

gyre

Postby ianjthor » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:14 am

If I could get a GPS tracker that was non GSM (Non cell phone) for around $100 to $150 would anyone be interested? I am going to be building one for my purposes. Should send accurate GPS data back to the receiver up to around 2 miles, possibly more. Unit will be small (t was designed for downed RC planes). Several people have already done this and they work very well. Basically you would get a grid coordinate and then just use a hand held GPS to walk to wherever the bike/transmitter is.

I was just curious because if bought in bulk the parts are cheaper. Here's approximately what will be needed (This is copied from another forum):

"you can already buy everything you need off the shelf as long as you can solder 4 wires and add a servo cable for power.

A couple each of:
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=126
http://ladyada.net/make/xbee/modules.html

One each of these:
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?ma...products_id=70
http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=576

Solder VCC (3.3V or 5V), GND, TX, RX from the GPS to XBee adapter. Solder a servo extension to the XBee adapter VCC (5V) and GND. The XBee adapter has a voltage regulator if your GPS is 3.3V.

10 solder joints and Done!

If you search a bit you can probably find some of the parts cheaper than what I've shown, I just did quick Google.

You can use a terminal emulator program on the PC or a map program to get the location."
ianjthor

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am

I'm interested if I can do it cheap enough.

I would prefer something I can use in default though.
I think this one would have too limited a range for that.

By the way, the kitty is not photoshop.
Getty Images, in fact.
gyre

Postby gyre » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm

Inside edition did a bit today in Sacramento, with a woman having a bike stolen a month.

They were working with baitbikes.com.
GPS tracking.

They actually got the thief arrested.
gyre

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:52 am

Bump

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby BBadger » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:02 pm

ianjthor wrote:If I could get a GPS tracker that was non GSM (Non cell phone) for around $100 to $150 would anyone be interested? I am going to be building one for my purposes. Should send accurate GPS data back to the receiver up to around 2 miles, possibly more. Unit will be small (t was designed for downed RC planes). Several people have already done this and they work very well. Basically you would get a grid coordinate and then just use a hand held GPS to walk to wherever the bike/transmitter is.

I actually think that locating and tracking down the bike and who stole it could be pretty dangerous without legal authority to back you up. I'm a bigger fan of either booby traps or simple immobilization systems.

Or in this case, it could function as either: a communication circuit that when the signal is lost between the transponders on the bike and your body, the front wheel locks. That way when or if the bike gets out of range (possibly with somebody riding it away) it won't get far. The rider better hope he isn't moving fast. Having a coded manual shutoff would be good just in case for your own riding (like if your batteries die).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elliot » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:11 pm

...the front wheel locks. That way when or if the bike gets out of range (possibly with somebody riding it away) it won't get far.

My self-actuating coaster brake does this with no electronics. But I need to develop it to act... less gradually. :twisted:

This discussion strictly for entertainment purposes. Do not attempt any action that might cause harm.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

PreviousNext

Return to Transportation