Burner seeks to bring limited mobility parent to the Playa..

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Burner seeks to bring limited mobility parent to the Playa..

Postby caveatlector » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi all,

I was hoping I could get some advice from folks who might have dealt with mobility challenges on the Playa.

I have a parent who's dealing with a long-term injury to his foot, and is supposed to stay away from walking as much as possible. He's heard me talking about Burning Man enough that he's hoping to go this year but has valid concerns about how he would get around.

Are there people who have successfully dealt with this kind of challenge? He's a big guy, so putting him on a bike is not a good call. Golf cart? ATV? AT-AT? I'd love to see my parents make it to a Burn, but I'm not going to send them into the desert without a game plan for them to see as much as possible.

Thanks!

Joshua
-----

)|( POEE )'(
caveatlector

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Re: Burner seeks to bring limited mobility parent to the Pla

Postby jkisha » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 pm

If your parent has a state issued disability permit, you can bring a golf cart and apply for a handicapped license with BMORG so they can legally drive it at Burning Man.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I've brought my golf cart to the playa for 4 years to be used by alter able people. It works very well. Registration is easy but you have to register a placard number that will be valid at the burn. Make sure the placard number does not expire between registering for the disabled vehicle license and getting to the playa. Keep very good track of the paperwork and bring 2 copies with you to the burn. I like to keep one in my glove box with my ticket and other paperwork. The other one I place on the golf cart.

Go for it. It is a good time of year to buy a cart. They only get more expensive as spring approaches.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Joshua, you're a good son! :) Here's a link. There will be deadlines for this stuff, so stay on top of it . . . .

Vehicle Licensing and Criteria for People with Disabilities
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... enses.html

And a cool thread about golf carts.
Gas golf/utility cart: considerations for bringing to playa?
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=53033
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:36 pm

My mechanic said use Harley golf carts are junk.. The electronics go out all the time.
unjonharley

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:40 pm

Luckily, Harley is not one of the recommended brands in the second link. :)
Savannah

Postby moonrise » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 pm

I spoke to someone with a rented golfcart on playa in 2011. He told me he rented it somewhere near Sacramento, for a gooood price I might add (the gal in charge gave him a BIG dsicount, 1/2 off?? I think because it was a week or longer rental) I wish I could recall what he paid, but I remember it was not bad, considering...
I also think the recession is causing them to ease up on rental pricing. The guy on the rented golfcart told me he did NOT mention burning man. He said he was using the cart for golf somewhere in Northern California. I think it came with a trailer (or rent a decent open utility trailer from u-haul and don't mention burning man to u-haul)

If you must buy, the thread Savannah linked in her post is full of good info.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:57 am

Any vehicle can be used with the disability permit, but smaller is easier.

Be sure to light up whatever you bring.

An electric trike might be an option.

There are bikes made for large people.
Check those out, like the Surly (good for anyone on the playa really).

If a bike works, a vehicle can be used for long transits, then back to the bike, using a carrier.
gyre

Postby phil » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Louise broker her leg at a Cyber Buss party years ago, and I rented a go-kart for her at some local store that rented them. Ran on gas, so no problem with charging batteries. We bungeed her crutches to the roll cage, and off she'd go.

Keep in mind that your dad has to be able to use the pedals. Which foot is the problem, and which one will he need to operate the cart or whatever you choose?
phil

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Be sure to emphasize how difficult driving in the city is.

It is all essentially a 360 degree environment, very different from normal driving.

He may be expected to prove he can safely handle any vehicle brought.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:28 pm

Harley-Davidson golfcart? Eh, now that sends a mixed message.

Get yer motor humming. Head out on the fairway...
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:40 pm

Get a harley
Buy the best
Ride a mile
Walk the rest...
gyre

Postby motskyroonmatick » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:37 pm

My golf cart has a hand control for throttle and brake. If you are handy and have a welder friend it would be relatively easy to put one on an owned golf cart. If you want pictures of the assembly just PM me. It is especially useful for one handed driving if you have the passenger run the hand control. :lol:

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 pm

You ought to be able to buy one, "they" do make hand controls.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:03 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:My golf cart has a hand control for throttle and brake. If you are handy and have a welder friend it would be relatively easy to put one on an owned golf cart. If you want pictures of the assembly just PM me. It is especially useful for one handed driving if you have the passenger run the hand control. :lol:

What kind of deranged freak lets a wild-eyed passenger like me control the throttle?

theCryptofishist wrote:You ought to be able to buy one, "they" do make hand controls.

Excellent point. Although if caveatlector must buy Used, Motskyroonmatick's hacks are invaluable.
Savannah

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:48 am

I drove Golficus Carticus, the cart Motz refers to. The hand controls are simple and fun to use.

You do not have to prove you can drive gyre; you're only required to drive up to BRC DMV with proper lights and paperwork.

If you are in the vehicle, you are allowed to have a designated driver. 8)

No drinking and no open containers are allowed while driving, or parked with key in ignition (pull the key out if someone has a beer while sitting parked!) same DUI/DWI laws apply, it's federal land/law.

Gyre is correct, it is 360 degree driving, especially on inner city crowded streets...bikes and pedestrians get right of way, many are tired or contending with bumpy, dutsy raods. Give them a break and try to drive 5mph or LESS!! (keeps the dust down) I also found it best to give right of way the the HUGE Mutant Vehicles (or get squashed!)

One night, after a BIG BURN (Trojan Horse) we lost sight of the cart for a few hours! When we walked back to there we "thought" the cart was, everything had "moved" (following the excitement of the horse burn) and the cart blended into the new mix of sights. Eventually, by the time the GIANT wheels were falling off the Trojan Horse :roll: , we spotted the cart in a sea of lights, burners and mobile art (and off we went to our next adventure...) I can't wait for the next burn :P
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby gyre » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:31 am

People have different issues and abilities.

If there is any doubt, you could be asked to prove you can handle any vehicle you bring to drive.
Yes, someone else can drive you.

The environment is challenging at best, for anyone.

This is more of an issue with larger or more difficult vehicles, but might be relevant to one's issues.

There are plenty of people with no physical limitations, that are unsuited to driving in such difficult traffic as the slowest vehicle on the street.
Many avoid the city driving completely.
Typically walking is faster.

The pedestrians are not bright.
You may actually have people run into the side of your vehicle.

More than standard dui laws apply - No alcohol at all for a driver.
Zero.
0.00 blood alcohol.

Visibility at night is particularly bad sometimes.

It can be done safely, but it is not an easy place to drive.
Worth it though.
gyre

Postby moonrise » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:51 pm

Yah gyre, that's all true. I'm a non-drinker, the 0.00 alcohol in your blood stream must be a federal law? or Nevada law? I choose mobility over drinking, I might have a night cap, once parked for the night.

The golfcarts I've driven had the windshields removed, they collect dust like a magnet day/night. Easy to remove and pop back on (usually after the burn) I've only seen a few golfcarts with windshields on, total dust magnets, makes night driving much, much more difficult.
moonrise

Postby caveatlector » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:25 am

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I've forwarded what was mentioned here to my folks and they seem very excited about the prospect of going now.

I owe ya all a drink or three.

Joshua
-----

)|( POEE )'(
caveatlector

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Arctica Ice Sales

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Savannah wrote:
motskyroonmatick wrote:My golf cart has a hand control for throttle and brake. If you are handy and have a welder friend it would be relatively easy to put one on an owned golf cart. If you want pictures of the assembly just PM me. It is especially useful for one handed driving if you have the passenger run the hand control. :lol:

What kind of deranged freak lets a wild-eyed passenger like me control the throttle?

theCryptofishist wrote:You ought to be able to buy one, "they" do make hand controls.

Excellent point. Although if caveatlector must buy Used, Motskyroonmatick's hacks are invaluable.

Your graduating to steering this year Savannah! :D :shock: 8)

motskyroonmatick

Postby Savannah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Noooooooo. You're all gonna die! :shock:
Savannah

Postby Playa+Tom » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:12 am

Of course there is a theme camp, Black Rock City Department of Mobility. They have a camp near Center Camp and have various activities such as art tours on accessable art cars.
Playa+Tom

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks