Damage to RVs?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Damage to RVs?

Postby AlexMN1984 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi, my girlfriend and I will be first time burners this year. We are thinking of using her grandparents' RV, and I'm wondering what the potential is for damage from the dust and other elements. I have read the threads about taping the windows and how it can be a real mess if dust gets inside, but i am more concerned about bringing the RV back in more or less the same condition it started out in. Can/will the dust cause damage to any of the parts under the hood? Or will it just be a matter of hosing off the outside and vacuuming the inside? I know I probably sound pretty naive, but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Alex
AlexMN1984

Re: Damage to RVs?

Postby CornMan » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:44 pm

With my rv, playa dust is a gift that keeps giving. I gave up on getting it all out. Most of the dust seems to come in during entry and exodus.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Alex! I've got your thread.

Keeping the RV dust-free (well, as dust-free as possible)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46062

I found it by googling keep the dust out of RV eplaya. Tack "eplaya" onto any keyword search & you can find a lot of stuff. :)

Welcome to the board . . .
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:45 am

Savannah wrote:Hi Alex! I've got your thread.

Keeping the RV dust-free (well, as dust-free as possible)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=46062

I found it by googling keep the dust out of RV eplaya. Tack "eplaya" onto any keyword search & you can find a lot of stuff. :)

Welcome to the board . . .

This is a very good thread for keeping the dust to a minimum inside the RV!
Savannah the Thread Finder strikes again!!!!!!

As for dust related issues to the mechanical parts 'under the hood' that information is around... But not as easily found.
And there are some questions that have to be asked before anyone can answer your original question.
First, how old and what sorta RV is it? A diesel rear pusher and a Gasoline truck chassis RV are very similar but pretty different.

Second, how much do you know about the RV and/or Mechanics in general to be able to clean and restore the RV after leaving BRC?

Third, keep in mind "you can take something to the playa, but you'll never take ALL the playa out of the something", so determine if a bit of residual playa dust is a big issue or not.

Not so much related to your question exactly, but a big question you need to ask you self before you consider taking an RV to BRC is "How much experience do I have with RV's. And am I ready to possibly spend all week fighting/fixing an issue."
I've learned my own personal answer to that question the hard way.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Sail Man » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:37 pm

Alex, you will bring that Rv back from the playa dusty. No way to avoid it. Well, there is one way. Don't take it :wink: Hardly practical in your case though. :D

We've used an air compressor afterwards with some success but over the 3 years she's been out there, our RV is not going to give up all the dust.

Mechanical parts such as the engine can be sprayed down with a vinegar/water mix afterwards to help neutralize the dust. Not so easy to do with electrical components like the refrigerator and I just use the compressor to blow out as much dust as possible. Repeating ev so often. I do tape off (using blue painter tape) the intakes for the hot water heater, shore line plug, and the furnace.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby xhoosier » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:57 am

I think that the ride out is th emost damaging to my vehicle because of the stop/starting and leaving windows open a little so the AC is not used. Not sure if you would have the same problem but would suggest leaving on Tuesday so you can drive right out and not spend 6 plus hours letting dust get in.
xhoosier

Burning Since: 2009

Return to Shelter & Camping